View Diary: WA state police selling confiscated guns (41 comments)

•  LOL..that's what I say. :-) (5+ / 0-)
    peterfallow, hannah, Arlys, Stein, Jojos Mojo

But I don't want to carry one either way.

O great creator of being grant us one more hour to perform our art and perfect our lives. ::: Jim Morrison :::

by Kevanlove on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 02:24:54 AM PST

•  Been a neighbor of the park (2+ / 0-)
      Dogs are fuzzy, Jojos Mojo

all of my life. A rifle works much better for the odd cougar that might come down from the mountais. They usually only do this when they are in trouble in some way. Most often they are starving and desperate because they are sick, injured, or old. When they can no longer hunt wild game they come out of the mountians where hunting is easier.  They are very dangerous to farm animals, pets, and children even adults if things are bad eough. It is almost always fatal to the victim of the attack.

The bears are not aggressive they are actually very shy and seeing you will usually frighten them almost as much as they frighten you. There are the usual exceptions if they have cubs or if they have a injury they have been known to be aggressive. In the case of a bear a loud noise will send them running if they haven't already made the decision themsleves. You really don't want to shoot one of these bears unless you see there is something really wrong with it. Shooting a regular healthy bear is dicey if you don't kill them instantly the likelyhood is they will circle around and attack.

A hand gun is next to useless against both of these, by the time they are close eough to shoot it will be to late. They may be handy for a good loud oise to frighte them off.

It is the heart that makes a man rich. He is rich according to what he is not what he has -Henry Ward Beecher

by PSWaterspirit on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 08:26:02 AM PST

•  You can't carry a rifle on a 5 mile hike. (0+ / 0-)

And then there is the people that you meet. I was walking my dog on the road. The speed limit was 25 and a man drove by me and my dog at about 35. I looked at him and said, "slow down". He parked his car, got out and started following me.

So, there's that.

But it's neither here nor there. I'm not going to carry a gun of any kind and he's not going to stop.

And he's a former Marine, so he knows how to shoot  a gun. He's not an idiot.

by Kevanlove on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 09:54:37 AM PST

•  You really shouldn't need one (0+ / 0-)

on a hike.

by PSWaterspirit on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 10:26:26 AM PST

•  Excuse me? Can't carry a rifle on a 5 mile hike? (1+ / 0-)
          Neuroptimalian

Millions of military vets the age my dad would be if he were still alive would argue with you.

So would many, many current hunters, vets or not.

The mobility aid in question is a rifle sling.

by BlackSheep1 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 10:51:35 AM PST

•  I'm not in the army, good grief (0+ / 0-)

I don't like outdoors.