Skip to main content

View Diary: This week in science: The worm will turn (72 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  Hey, I'm old enough to remember... (4+ / 0-)

    ...when they called it CAM!  (Computer-Aided Manufacturing).

    It was a different concept; you started with a block of material and it was carved out by routers and lasers to shape by computer.  But 3D printers fabricate using the exact reverse of that process, so why not just call it a CAM variant?

    •  It Is CAM (2+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      CodeTalker, dewtx

      It is a CAM variant. It's the 3D printer CAM variant.

      Also, most 3D printers don't operate in the 6 degrees of freedom ( x, y, z, yaw, pitch, roll) that carving CAM machines did. They're like printers: a stack of 2D layers, each layer deposited by a device extremely close to an injet or laser printer.

      They're 3D printers. Why call them by some vague old acronym like "CAM"? We don't refer to the design as "CAD" anymore, since "design" of these objects is now Computer Aided by default.

      Indeed, with the increased mobility of online documents, we might even find "3D" to be redundant to "printer", as we come to ordinarily print only full objects, and only rarely hardcopy of a 2D page.

      "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST

      by DocGonzo on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 08:57:00 AM PST

      [ Parent ]

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site