View Diary: From Kirkenes on the Artic to Tarifa in Spain a Gay Marriage Curtain Is Descending Across Europe. (33 comments)

•  Why will they change on gay rights? (5+ / 0-)

They haven't changed an iota on their stance on women in any role other than perpetual childbearer.  They don't allow divorce.  They won't allow birth control, let alone abortion.

Why? Because the Papacy isn't a position elected by church members--if it was, they'd have made all the changes on women long ago, since most Catholic women prefer a hospital nearby which performs abortions (in case, you know. the develop complications, they'd liek their lives to be considered as important as the fetus's, which it currently isn't).  Instead, the Pope is elected by aged  celibate men, most of whom have been probably appointed by the one who just keeled over--appointed BECAUSE they agree with him.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 10:45:08 AM PST

•  Well perhaps they will once the start enforcing (1+ / 0-)
      jayden

the contraception bans via blood tests and excommunication for those women who test positive for birth control.

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 12:33:46 PM PST

•  One reason I left the church was a discussion (2+ / 0-)
        Throw The Bums Out, jayden

with a priest in the confessional.  He could tell I was young and female, and he ASKED me about birth control. I was a 20 year old VIRGIN--but he asked. ANd I told him I firmly believed that birth control was a necessity to that people could plan their families and have more children than I could afford to feed, clothe and educate. He told me if I believed that I wasn't a good Catholic.  I told him I'd concluded this after a theology minor. He refused absolution.  And I continued to attend Mass only when I was at my parents' house.  Once I moved out, I stopped going at all--except if I was visiting parents, to avoid nasty fights.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 02:14:44 PM PST

•  Yeah, though I wonder how long it will be before (0+ / 0-)

that is enforced by random blood tests at the door, not just asking.  Though that would probably get rid of even many of the hardcore anti-contraception people.

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 03:29:12 PM PST

•   I don't even know if it's legal to fo that. (1+ / 0-)
            Throw The Bums Out

And a LOT of parish priests don't ask that sort of question.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 08:15:53 PM PST

•  I don't see why not though they would have to hire (0+ / 0-)

properly trained phlebotomists to do it and it would be expensive.  But of course there would be an insane amount of resistance to it from both the parishes and even most of the hardcore anti-contraception people.  Possibly even new laws passed to restrict certain kinds of drug testing.

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 08:51:51 PM PST