View Diary: My Journey as a 9/11 Republican Turned Modern Progressive (263 comments)

•  What exactly is a "modern liberal"? (2+ / 0-)

If you are a democrat and liberal in name only, please stick with the GOP and reform the freaking party so we can move the Democratic Party left, which is where it belongs.

If you are truly born again and reviled by religious fanatics, neoliberals, blue dogs, and conservatives,  welcome to dailykos.

What we need is a Democrat in the White House.

by dkmich on Wed Feb 06, 2013 at 09:10:31 AM PST

•  Modern Progressive (5+ / 0-)

As far as I'm concerned Progressive!=Liberal!=Democrat

But alas, labels...

•  Whatever you want to call it, what do you mean (0+ / 0-)

by "modern" ?

What we need is a Democrat in the White House.

by dkmich on Wed Feb 06, 2013 at 10:04:29 AM PST

•  As in, "in present day" (0+ / 0-)

As in, not back at 9/11.

I thought it was somewhat of a clever play on words, since in Europe at least the word "modern" commonly refers to liberal social trends.

I guess it fell short with some :>

I'm not married to the Democrat party, but when i read about figures like Henry Wallace I admire them and the various populist progressive movements throughout history a lot more than some party.

I just happened to vote Democrat this time around.

I'm not trying to invade your club, if you don't want to consider me liberal or progressive or whatever, it doesn't concern me.

•  Not my club - belongs to Kos. (5+ / 0-)

He welcomes all kinds of Democrats.    Doesn't tolerate trolls, trouble makers or third party supporters.

You have no idea how many disillusioned Republicans we have here who "think" they are liberals.   You are right.  Modern went right over my head.

What we need is a Democrat in the White House.

by dkmich on Wed Feb 06, 2013 at 11:21:40 AM PST

•  It is not a club at all, Democrats have a large (2+ / 0-)
            worldlotus, David PA

tent, in fact a rather huge tent. We find at our local Democratic meetings, we have a wide variety of Democrats represented, some are more conservative while others are moderate, liberal and so on.

In fact, our GOTV for President Obama, we had a number of Republicans for Obama represented who did fabulous work for the campaign with their phone calls and canvassing. We had many volunteers who were Democrats but also a ton of Independents, particuarly college students. But none of that matter as we are all united in getting out the vote for Democrats.

Follow PA Keystone Liberals on Twitter: @KeystoneLibs

by wishingwell on Wed Feb 06, 2013 at 02:57:48 PM PST

•  That's a message I can get behind (1+ / 0-)
              David PA

But I won't be registering or allying myself too closely with the party. I have no allegiance, it's only the way I am choosing to go now given the circumstances currently.

But i see just how destructive the GOP has been and won't be voting in that direction any time soon.

•  My best friend is a progressive like me but she (0+ / 0-)

will not join a political and she is a registered independent and before that, a registered libertarian. We both volunteered for the Obama campaign. So one can be a progressive and align themselves with many of the Democratic Party's platform but not be a registered Democrat.  That is quite common these days with so many registered Independents or those registered to a third party.

Follow PA Keystone Liberals on Twitter: @KeystoneLibs

by wishingwell on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 02:04:55 AM PST

•  Pardon me (4+ / 0-)
            wishingwell, hester, devis1, David PA

It is not "the Democrat party".  It is the Democratic party.

•  I read it as modern being in the present day and (0+ / 0-)

what is going on in the present vs a decade ago. I am getting so old that time passes quickly and I forget that 9-11 happened over a decade ago. So perhaps he also means this decade?

Follow PA Keystone Liberals on Twitter: @KeystoneLibs

• GOP (16)
  • Law (16)
  • Climate Change (15)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Marriage Equality (14)
  • Racism (13)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site