View Diary: OMG It's The Worst Thing Ever!!!!! (119 comments)

•  That's what we called it in my hometown (11+ / 1-)

Every Friday night, out to the local meet-up rest area and do some fag bashing.

Except if there was a basketball game.  When we played the city school next door and lost, then it would be nigger bashing. Hoo boy, when we played Cambridge Ringe & Latin with Patrick Ewing and made those signs up "Ewing kant reed".  Fun times, fun times.

Yup, it was certainly offensive. And glossing it over now in the name of politeness or not wanting to offend sensibilities does no one any good.  It needs to be seen for the ugly, hateful, disgusting, vile thing it was, and people need to know that people turning their head the other way and not addressing it was just as repugnant as the ones who did it.

Liberalism is trust of the people tempered by prudence. Conservatism is distrust of the people tempered by fear. ~William E. Gladstone, 1866

by absdoggy on Wed Feb 06, 2013 at 05:37:26 PM PST

•  That's the thing with all of it. (6+ / 0-)

Reading 11/22/63 brought back memories I'd just as soon do without, and moments of deep shame that I didn't scream "What the fuck is wrong with you?", or at least not freeze up,  more often.

by I love OCD on Wed Feb 06, 2013 at 05:44:51 PM PST

•  so sorry to feel compelled to HR (0+ / 0-)

that word is the other one that just needs not be used. ever.

Anyone who scoffs at happiness needs to take their soul back to the factory and demand a better one. -driftglass

by postmodernista on Wed Feb 06, 2013 at 05:52:53 PM PST

•  It is not important to remember (2+ / 0-)
        I love OCD, Glinda

that gay men were burned alive as kindling for witches?

That people for centuries so liked that idea they kept it in language?

Words of hate and oppression should be used in discussion of hate and oppression in my opinion.

So many lives ruined, it can't go unforgotten.

The highest form of spiritual practice is self observation with compassion.

by NCJim on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 06:40:43 AM PST

•  It seems that your avoidance of offensive terms (1+ / 0-)
        I love OCD

has not deprived them of their power over you.  It seems to have had the exact opposite effect. The words have too much power over you.

Which is exactly why gay men and women have adopted formerly offensive terms and defanged them by doing so.

"Republicans have been fleeced and exploited and lied to by a conservative entertainment complex." - David Frum

by Glinda on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 09:41:08 AM PST

•  Thanks for that comment. (1+ / 0-)
          Glinda

My friend Keith used to introduce himself "Hi, I'm Keith and I'm a screaming queen."  He was, too.  I don't know if that went into his work life with him, but he sure startled some of my friends.  He used to introduce me at his parties as the token het.

by I love OCD on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 10:27:17 AM PST

•  I've been known to refer to myself as ... (1+ / 0-)
            I love OCD

a fag hag when being introduced to an LGBT crowd.

That's a double whammy: a misogynistic and a homophobic slur.

by Glinda on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 01:17:16 PM PST

•  Uprated (10+ / 0-)

It's used in context in representing very well the ugly reality of an era.

•  It's the sense of the whole era (11+ / 0-)

that came back to me so hard.  There's a scene describing gas station restrooms in Alabama, I think.  Men, Women, then a little piece of wood, arrow shaped, pointing toward the Colored restroom - down a hill covered in poison ivy ending at a plank across a stream.  Fairly easy for men, really awkward for women, and taking a shit meant sitting on a board and dumping into the water.  And carrying your own toilet paper.  And dealing with the poison ivy if you were so desperate you just took that walk.  I knew these things, I knew it, but I feel like I've been hit with a 2x4 anyway.

Life is vastly better now, and if we celebrate what we've accomplished aren't we more likely to energized to accomplish even more?

by I love OCD on Wed Feb 06, 2013 at 06:07:45 PM PST

•  This is so important: (2+ / 0-)
          Smoh, I love OCD
          Perspective, people. Step back just a bit and really look.

If I ran this circus, things would be DIFFERENT!

by CwV on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 05:47:40 AM PST

•  I still disagree (0+ / 0-)

really want to strip the word and all it represents of its power? Stop using it. let it turn up in an unabridged google/wiki dictionary in 300 years with the qualifier 'archaic'.

by postmodernista on Wed Feb 06, 2013 at 06:10:37 PM PST

•  I thought you weren't supposed to uprate a HRed (0+ / 0-)

post regardless of the situation or whether the HR was deserved or not.

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Wed Feb 06, 2013 at 11:19:41 PM PST

•  Only in the context of (0+ / 0-)

shutting down a discussion.  I'm seeing strong opinions and people willing to fight for them, which is exactly why I'm here.

by I love OCD on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 10:29:06 AM PST