View Diary: Megan Phelps-Roper leaves Westboro Baptist Church (330 comments)

•  I hope there's more than that (11+ / 0-)

Apologies to all the families of the deceased at funerals they desecrated would be a start.

This Rover crossed over.. Willie Nelson, written by Dorothy Fields

by Karl Rover on Wed Feb 06, 2013 at 07:11:05 PM PST

•  Hell yes. Their first funeral protest was at (4+ / 0-)

my friend Ken's.   He was a kind, gentle guy who wouldn't hurt a fly.  No one knew they were going to do such a thing (except the despicable TV station who was there with their cameras to get the reaction of sobbing family and friends as we left the church).  It was a shock, an utter surprise, and a world of heart-breaking hurt to see such a thing.

They need to crawl through broken glass on their bellies pleading for forgiveness before they have any kind thoughts from me.

Sorry that sounds harsh, but this isn't just a couple rude words shouted in a bar fight.  It is literally DECADES of purposely hurting people in the most awful ways.

by YucatanMan on Wed Feb 06, 2013 at 08:57:20 PM PST

•  Decades (14+ / 0-)

This woman hasn't been a legal adult for a single decade.

Language professors HATE me!

by Zornorph on Wed Feb 06, 2013 at 10:09:15 PM PST

•  They were out there picketing with her parents at (1+ / 0-)
          OleHippieChick

preschool ages.  Now, that might be considered an excuse, but the family has been doing this to decades and this was a previously-considered "future leader."

Take it as you will.

by YucatanMan on Wed Feb 06, 2013 at 10:35:10 PM PST

•  You're blaming her (8+ / 0-)

for being out holding a sign when she was four years old?  For believing what her parents taught her from the time she was a baby?

Yes, the WBC is both abhorrent and wrong - and they have picketed my church several times, so I've had the dubious pleasure of "meeting" them in person - but how is a young adult supposed to know what, if they are deliberately kept isolated, told that the people outside of the church are sinners, trying to disrupt their pure faith, and so on?

It speaks well to Ms. Roper's intelligence and strength of character that she did question her beliefs, and not only left, she waited until her sister was a legal adult and took her with her.

•  I think that is a misreading of what I said. (3+ / 0-)
              tytalus, fiddlingnero, maf1029

I don't blame little kids for doing what their parents make them do.

But she went to public schools, the big public high school, mixed with plenty of other people, encountered teachers and others with different beliefs, went to college with the general public and was exposed to all sorts of beliefs.

So, carrying these actions forward in adulthood are all on her.

Look, I'm glad she left. I hope more leave. I hope it falls apart and the property is auctioned off to help the poor.

Someone so involved as to be considered a future leader doesn't get an immediate pardon for past offenses (from me).

She gets a "Glad you left" and a wary eye on what's going on as more time passes.

Time will tell.

by YucatanMan on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 12:38:03 PM PST

•  Notice that I said "They" not "she", but the (3+ / 0-)

same thing applies.  The entire family has been an enormous hateful enterprise for over three decades.  End of story.

by YucatanMan on Wed Feb 06, 2013 at 10:44:06 PM PST

•  So you won't forgive her (2+ / 0-)
            jabney, Tod

..for actions taken before she was born. However serious your pain is, blaming her for all the evil ever done by her family is just wrong.

Cogito, ergo Democrata.

by Ahianne on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 07:44:06 AM PST

•  Who said I blamed her for everything? The entire (4+ / 0-)

group is evil. From start to finish.

People who have no experience with these people just think "Oh, it is awful that they hurt mourners feelings at a funeral."

It is a lot more than "hurt feelings."

They have hounded people out of their jobs.  They have closed down businesses.  They all but closed down an Episcopal church, because the little old ladies who made up the majority of the membership were fearful of crossing the constant picket lines.

People think, "Oh, they show up at a funeral, picket awhile and leave."

They picket day and night.  They picket all over the place.  They hound targets until they are hurt: emotionally, financially, devastatingly.

They write nasty letters accusing people of eating excrement, raping children and more, and send them to their families, employers and associates.  They block entrances to restaurants so that the public just won't even park there, let alone try to eat inside.

They have literally devastated people over and over.

Look.  I'm very that she left this evil cabal.
              But just walking out doesn't make up for all the enormous toll they have taken.  It doesn't even begin to approach any kind of repair or restoration to the lives literally destroyed by these evil people.   She took part in it well into her adult years.

That she left them is great.  Good for her.

The shattered lives left behind, however, are still shattered.  The victims of the Phelps deserve more sympathy than any of the Phelps.

by YucatanMan on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 09:42:42 AM PST

•  Exactly (0+ / 0-)

It's nice that people are waking up to the evil douchebaggery that is WBC, but I gotta wonder -- where was all this "concern" 30 years ago when they were picketing the funerals of gay men?

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction." - Blaise Pascal (1623-1662), Pensées, #894

by maf1029 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 10:38:49 AM PST

•  Give her a while. (14+ / 0-)

The first moments out of the family compound aren't the best moment for apologies, she probably doesn't have the words to express what she feels about what she participated in... yet.

Give her enough time for her to get a real feel for how strongly they will reject her now and process that, and then she'll be able to apologize properly in words with depth of feeling.

Prayers and best wishes to those in Japan.

by Cassandra Waites on Wed Feb 06, 2013 at 11:16:46 PM PST

•  and time not to feel like she isn't hopeless (2+ / 0-)
        MichiganGirl, LSophia

she needs some time to be someone she can look inwardly at and feel proud of before she can fully open up to the truth of what she participated in or she will be overwhelmed by the shame of it

people kill themselves over that amount of shame

Wouldn't you like to be a pepper too?

by AntonBursch on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 03:54:32 PM PST

•  How about an apology to her for leaving her in an (6+ / 0-)

abusive religious cult for 20 years.  A cult we knew was abusive and yet did nothing.  The oldest son left and told, still we left the children.

guns are fun v. hey buddy, watch what you are doing -- which side are you on?

by 88kathy on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 08:26:29 AM PST