View Diary: Megan Phelps-Roper leaves Westboro Baptist Church (330 comments)

•  Sorry -- She's Rather Flip (2+ / 0-)
    YucatanMan, fiddlingnero

Any 12-year-old can pick up a cell phone, find out about her, and decide for himself who she is, according to Megan.

Yet, here she is, nearly twice that age and she never did the same.  Is she asking me to believe that she wasn't gifted with the same common sense that she endows 12-year-olds with when it comes to self-evaluation?

The scales have fallen and making excuses for behavior that affronts anyone with a conscience well into your twenties seems ingenuous.  The proof will be in acts of atonement she makes, or doesn't, to those she insulted, hurt, and offended.

Readers & Book Lovers Pull up a chair! You're never too old to be a Meta Groupie

by Limelite on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 07:02:30 AM PST

•  I think you don't understand the insular (6+ / 0-)

environment she lived in nearly all of her life. To question what is presented as unquestionable, to put aside learned helplessness in the face of strict authoritarianism is much harder than you apparently imagine. Try and imagine how cut off from the rest of society she actually was with a zealot for a grandfather and pastor.

"The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now do you begin to understand me?" ~Orwell, "1984"

by Lily O Lady on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 08:09:23 AM PST

•  I Can Imagine (0+ / 0-)

and reiterate: she expects a higher degree of discernment in a 12-year-old when it comes to evaluating information than she requires of herself well in her late twenties.

When she was 12, 16, even 20 I can understand her blind acceptance.  Reasonably speaking, she didn't wake up yesterday and come to her senses.  This awareness must have been brewing within her long enough to have had discussions with her sister for quite some time.  For years, I suspect.

I feel that she is flippant regarding others self-awareness and holds herself to a pretty mild standard in comparison.  She will have to demonstrate her Johnny-come-lately sincerity through acts of atonement as far as I'm concerned.

by Limelite on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 02:51:38 PM PST

•  She was abused in a family that openly practiced (3+ / 0-)
      raincrow, LSophia, Lonely Texan

child abuse.  You left her there for 20 years.  You knew and did nothing.

She merely held a sign by the side of the road.  Don't look in the mirror, you might not like what you see.

guns are fun v. hey buddy, watch what you are doing -- which side are you on?

by 88kathy on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 08:49:58 AM PST

•  I understand this message (2+ / 0-)
        Azazello, Catte Nappe

must seem really profound to you, and it does seem obvious that calling them a cult is spot on. But freedom of religion is a tough nut to crack in this country, and child indoctrination is a staple of our society. This differs only in the matter of degree. Take your righteousness to court and make a case for tearing apart a family, even one this clearly messed up. See how easy it is.

For my part, what Megan Phelps-Roper has to say looks good to me, but I will wait and see what she does. I find beliefs and more importantly actions worth hating more than people. She's done a fair bit worth hating. More than 'merely' holding up a sign, btw. Look past today's headlines and it's not hard to find.

In the 2011 documentary America's Most Hated Family in Crisis by Louis Theroux, Megan Phelps-Roper explained in an interview that herself and the other members of the WBC tauntingly and publicly burned a copy of the Quran while being scolded by a Muslim man, calling it an "idolatrous piece of trash" and that they were giving it the "proper respect that it deserves" by doing so.[50] They picketed the funeral of the Muslim man's wife the following week. Megan Phelps-Roper stated that the wife's death was partly due to her Muslim husband having spoken out against the WBC, and therefore rejecting God and bringing His "righteous judgement" down upon him. She also commented that "all those angry little Muslims can just shut their mouths."[79]

“Now, I can imagine the shocking headlines you’ll print tomorrow morning: 'More guns,' you’ll claim, 'are the NRA’s answer to everything!'" -- Wayne LaPierre

by tytalus on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 09:58:31 AM PST

•  By sheer coincidence, I just finished watching (2+ / 0-)
          tytalus, YucatanMan

this. Ask me why I am an atheist ☛ The Most Hated Family in America

The free market is not the solution, the free market is the problem.

by Azazello on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 10:26:54 AM PST

•  I want to check that out later (3+ / 0-)
            Catte Nappe, Azazello, YucatanMan

when I get home, I think I can get it onto my tv with some new technology.  :)  For now I am reading, and I found this article interesting. From November, 2011. They're talking to Megan at the time about others who have left.

by tytalus on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 01:03:23 PM PST

•  Maybe when Megan asks you why you left her (1+ / 0-)
          Lonely Texan

under her wacko grandpa's thumb, you will have a good answer.

Have you read what Nate Phelps has been saying for these last years?

Some big money at the top has stopped it.  Koch is the biggest money in Kansas.

What I am reacting to is the hatred of Megan for being born and left in the care of Fred Phelps.  People really need to back off.

guns are fun v. hey buddy, watch what you are doing -- which side are you on?

by 88kathy on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 02:55:57 PM PST

•  Even to those who said she should have left sooner (1+ / 0-)
            88kathy

(timing should be at the discretion of the victim) and should have known because she went outside, wasn't locked in a cage- the cage was mental.  No less real for that.

•  google westboro church in kansas. (0+ / 0-)

see cameras mounted to public utility poles around the house.  I know one shows for sure maybe 2.  The were on every pole when I left Topeka.  Are those cameras there to keep us out - or them in.

And why are they allowed to mount private cameras on public utility poles?

It is a very complicated story.

guns are fun v. hey buddy, watch what you are doing -- which side are you on?

by 88kathy on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 04:10:19 PM PST