View Diary: Seattle Times reports that Boeing Engineers blame outsourcing & lax oversight for 787's problems (26 comments)

•  Thank God it hasn't come back to bite the (7+ / 0-)

unsuspecting passenger's and crew member's....yet....

"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity" Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr..

by mindara on Wed Feb 06, 2013 at 07:16:09 PM PST

•  I agree (4+ / 0-)
      Pluto, mindara, JeffW, princesspat

"Senators are a never-ending source of amusement, amazement, and discouragement" ~ Will Rogers

by Lefty Coaster on Wed Feb 06, 2013 at 07:18:48 PM PST

•  We're scheduled to fly on one (2+ / 0-)
      mindara, Creosote

from L.A. to Tokyo on one in November.

I wonder if it will be ready in time.

I wonder if I will be ready in time...

Moderation in most things.

by billmosby on Wed Feb 06, 2013 at 10:33:32 PM PST

•  Wow...when I saw on the news that the third one (3+ / 0-)

in a week (I think, something close to that anyway, I'm just feeling too lazy right now to google it...lol) I remember thinking, first of all, "PULL THE DAMN PLANES OUT OF SERVICE, YOU IDIOTS!" and right on the heels of that, good luck ever trying to get me on one of those, ever! And I'm not afraid of flying....just defective planes. And given the fact that it's a major electrical problem and there are just such intricate, complicated and enormous electrical systems on planes today and the practice of outsourcing this shit, it could be YEARS, if ever, before they find out the source(s) of the problem(s).

Yup, more deregulation, more outsourcing and less unions...that's what we all need when we're 30,000 feet in the air just so Boeing can add a few more bucks to their overstuffed coffers.

by mindara on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 02:08:13 AM PST

•  once is an accident... (4+ / 0-)
          billmosby, Buckeye54, Creosote, mindara

twice a coincidence, and three times is a fact. profits above people. after having a rental chevy malibu burn up on the jersey turnpike, i'll never rent/drive a chevy again, and warn anyone at the rental counter about them as well. anyone boarding one of these flaming turds better have a good insurance policy.
          be safe,
          tung sol

There is a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.--Oscar Levant

by tung sol on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 04:46:03 AM PST

•  Read the Seattle Times article linked in the diary (6+ / 0-)

and then rethink your plans. It's just not worth risking your life to test out Boeing's radical (and failed) experiment in not just outsourcing production but also the design of parts (and the cost of r&d) to dozens of different companies all over the world.

This process is a failure and it's frightening to think about what other flaws may by lurking in the 787s. It's going to take years to sort this all out.

And of course underlying all of this is the right-wing ideology of busting the unions (that was their main goal in all this.) Don't support them. Your progressive politics (and being part of a reality-based community) could very well save your life.

•  I'm somewhat familiar with the whole (3+ / 0-)
          Roadbed Guy, Creosote, mindara

sorry cluster that was their initial attempt at production, having always been an airplane enthusiast, and in particular a Boeing enthusiast. Their image started to slip with me when they decided to resort to bribery or whatever it was during that ill-fated attempt to find a replacement for the KC-135 tanker fleet. Looks like the rot has spread, and quickly.

On the other hand, I will be 64 then and who needs to live any longer than that, really? Besides, I already plan to be cremated, and the way those plastic structures burn the products of combustion should have me pretty well knocked out before the worst of the thermal effects become evident. Flaming coffin, indeed.

That last paragraph was my attempt at macabre humor, by the way.

Moderation in most things.

by billmosby on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 05:38:50 AM PST

•  Bill, I hope your flight gets you to Tokyo safe (1+ / 0-)
            Williston Barrett