View Diary: President's gun-control strategy encourages progressive activists (102 comments)

•  I'm not expecting NRA dead enders to come around (8+ / 0-)

anytime soon (just because 90% of the public supports universal background checks). I posted something on HuffPo the other day about "Sensible Gun Laws" and had about 6 out of 10 commenters tell me it was impossible for any gun law to be sensible; any infringement was inherently unconstitutional (this is pure NRA nonesense, of course); and that I was a "Commie Fascist" for talking about this, which I found quite oxymoronically amusing. But, I guess what seemed so strange about getting this reaction on HuffPo is that it is supposedly a left-of-center website, but many of the commenters seemed to be right-of-batshit on the gun control issue. The NRA must really be bringing out their paranoid, conspiracy-addled base.

Just doing my part to piss off right wing nuts, one smart ass comment at a time.

by tekno2600 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 09:56:24 AM PST

•  It is easy to blame it on the NRA. (1+ / 0-)
      VectorScalar

It provides you a powerful scapegoat while safely denying any possibility that your position may be wrong or that it really doesn't have the support you believe it does.  The GOP really believed that Romney would win the presidency and their polling told them so.  There is a good reason gun control has been avoided for a long time.  Attempting it carries a high price because people tend to get irate when others want to take something away from them.

•  BOOGA BOOGA! Don't Try It! You're Gonna Fail!!! (3+ / 0-)
        cocinero, tekno2600, Glen The Plumber

LOL! You couldn't be any more transparent with your NRA approved bullshit.

This post is dedicated to myself, without whom, I'd be somebody else. Though I'd still be an asshole. My Music: [http://www.myspace.com/beetwasher]

by Beetwasher on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 01:49:20 PM PST

•  I don't see improving background checks as such a (2+ / 0-)
        Glen The Plumber, FogCityJohn

controversial thing. It only because the NRA really is a powerful group of crazies that they've prevented serious discussion on this for so long. They are the ones who will pay a political price if they keep resisting sensible reform. So, bring on the fight.

by tekno2600 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 02:42:11 PM PST

•  You won't like that fight. Nor is it very likely (0+ / 0-)

that the Left will win.  The push for bans has gone too far and it went on for too long and now you have people in opposition who are unwilling to give. There was too much blaming law abiding citizens for the violence and the massacres.  They did nothing wrong, yet they were threatened and they are responding.

If the community wants to get something positive out of it, the rhetoric has to stop and the game has to change to one of being realistic instead of throwing out ludicrous crap and calling it sensible or common sense.

•  First of all, welcome Mr. LaPierre. We don't get (0+ / 0-)

too many NRA extremists on the dKos website.

But, as I just said, I don't mind fighting about background checks at all. The NRA used to support them, and it makes no sense that they no long do because they claim the system is not good enough. That's an excellent reason for improving the system, not giving up. Around 90% of the public support universal background checks, so it is not just the Left who will win this fight, but the whole country, with the exception of a few gun nuts.

I don't know how anyone can say the "push for bans went on for too long." Very few people, other than Feinstein pushed to renew any type of ban, like the assault weapons ban. But, nobody seemed to think that could withstand all the money and propaganda the NRA would throw at it. Personally, I think the assault weapons ban we had in the past worked. We should try it again and strengthen it. But, that's not something that will probably move ahead at the moment.

P.S. I'm really sick of hearing your bullshit NRA talking point about "law abiding citizens."  Jared Loughner was a law abiding citizen until he committed his mass shooting. Everyone is law abiding up to the point that they decide not to be. Mental illness is a huge issue that background checks could help deal with. But, for all the NRA's talk, they don't have realistic and specific plans to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill.

by tekno2600 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 05:01:50 PM PST

•  If you've at all tried to follow my position (0+ / 0-)

on the issue, as well as just about every other Liberal who supports gun rights we have no issues with background checks.  I, myself have long supported the idea of using a permit system for all guns including long guns.  Where I may differ from the masses is that I suggest having multiple levels of permits that equate to different levels of permission.

If there is any bullshit around here it is this stupid "Thats just an NRA talking point".

•  No. The law abiding citizen canard is some majorly (0+ / 0-)

annoying shit. I don't give a damn if some people think the poor NRA gets abused. They are led by bullies, cowards, and loonies. It's about time they got called out on just a small fraction of the stupid shit they do.

by tekno2600 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 07:20:15 PM PST

•  "the masses" (0+ / 0-)

Suggest to get help with that, it's one of the 3 warning signs.

Now calm-down and pick your panties out of your crack. There is a simple solution to this. If you stop reciting NRA talking-points with the persistent regularity you do, people will stop saying that.

What about my Daughter's future?

by koNko on Sun Feb 10, 2013 at 05:03:50 AM PST

•  Thanks for your concern. (0+ / 0-)

Given your long history of commenting on a broad range of progressive topics here, we have been fairly warned and will take your advice under serious consideration.

What about my Daughter's future?

by koNko on Sun Feb 10, 2013 at 03:18:54 AM PST

• Law (19)
  • Rescued (17)
  • Science (16)
  • Politics (15)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Riots (14)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site