View Diary: We should all be forced to look at (182 comments)

•  Exactly (1+ / 0-)
    NancyWH

The drivers-ed analogy--having to see what car accidents can do to the human body--is a really good one. You want that license, you get to know the good and the bad.

Why in the hell do people want to argue against this? It's common sense.

It is time to #Occupy Media.

by lunachickie on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 12:45:48 PM PST

•  Driving isn't a constitutionally-protected right. (1+ / 0-)
      happymisanthropy

Every American doesn't have the right to a driver's license.

With reasonable restrictions from the state, every American does have the Constitutionally-protected right to own a firearm.

Every American also has the Constitutionally-protected right to an abortion.

What argument can you make for forcing those seeking to exercise their right to own a firearm to "get to know the good and the bad" by showing them gruesome pictures, that can't also be made for forcing those seeking to exercise their right to an abortion to "get to know the good and the bad" by showing them gruesome pictures of aborted fetuses?

by JamesGG on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 01:16:38 PM PST

•  oh, (0+ / 0-)

for fuck's sake. When will you just post without arguing, period?

It is time to #Occupy Media.

by lunachickie on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 01:47:06 PM PST

•  ummm... when we stop disagreeing? (0+ / 0-)

Or do you think that now that you have expressed your opinion, I am somehow obligated to acquiesce to it rather than continuing to make my case?

by JamesGG on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 02:14:32 PM PST

•  I CAN have a gun (6+ / 0-)

I'm not REQUIRED to have a gun.

If I decide I want one, I should at the least be totally cognizant of the power of the weapon and what it can do.

Nobody MAKES me buy a gun. Just like nobody MAKES me drive a car.

•  Thank you! (0+ / 0-)

It is time to #Occupy Media.

by lunachickie on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 01:57:34 PM PST

•  That's a bit of a non-sequitur. (1+ / 0-)
          happymisanthropy

I'm not required to exercise my religion, speak out on political issues, or assemble with like-minded people—but that doesn't change the fact that those are Constitutionally-protected rights.

That nobody is required to own a gun or get an abortion, but that people can choose to do those things if they want to, also does not change the fact that those are Constitutionally-protected rights.

Driving is not considered a Constitutionally-protected right, and thus the state can require that drivers be licensed and set up processes for requiring drivers' education first.

The state cannot require that those who wish to join a church be licensed and undergo a religious-education process prior to being allowed to join a church, because the free exercise of religion is a right.

by JamesGG on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 02:12:34 PM PST

•  And if your religion mandates (6+ / 0-)

You sacrifice children, or smoke weed, think you'll be allowed to exercise your right?

I think not.

You can't slander people, or start a riot, either. So much for free speech. And just try having a parade or a protest without a permit. So much for the right to peaceably assemble.

No right is absolute. Not speech, not religion, and certainly not the right to own weapons.

•  Of course gun ownership isn't an absolute right... (0+ / 0-)

...and you'll note that I don't argue anywhere that it is an absolute right.

What I do argue is that gun ownership is a Constitutionally-protected right, on the same level as freedom of speech and freedom of religion. As with speech and religion, the right to gun ownership is protected by the Constitution regardless of whether or not one decides to exercise that right.

A driver's license isn't understood to be a Constitutionally-protected right. Thus, there's a much higher legal bar to clear to implement new regulations on speech, religion, and gun ownership than there is for regulating automobile operation.

by JamesGG on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 07:22:32 AM PST

• Recommended (123)
  • Community (58)
  • Memorial Day (31)
  • Culture (23)
  • Environment (21)
  • Civil Rights (20)
  • Rescued (20)
  • Law (20)
  • Science (19)
  • Labor (17)
  • Education (16)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (16)
  • Marriage Equality (16)
  • Media (16)
  • Elections (15)
  • Economy (15)
  • Republicans (14)
  • Ireland (14)
  • Josh Duggar (13)
  • Music (12)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site