View Diary: Catholic bishops still whining about Obama administration's 'accommodation' on birth control (127 comments)

•  Hole in the bedsheet (2+ / 0-)
    skohayes, irishwitch

Seems to be the preferred contraceptive.  Never proven effective, but then again "sex is only for reproduction".

If their common parishioner followed these rules, then a lot of us would have great odds in our favor.

No offense meant, of course.  :)

Gandhi's Seven Sins: Wealth without work; Pleasure without conscience; Knowledge without character; Commerce without morality; Science without humanity; Worship without sacrifice; Politics without principle

by Chris Reeves on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 12:28:50 PM PST

•  The usual BS (2+ / 0-)
      tmservo433, irishwitch

If a female chooses to submit to this institution and abide by this rule in order to gain membership, that is her right--To choose of course. It is also her right to choose to leave that institution at any time, for any reason at all. Her capacity to fulfill their prerequisites for membership are unenforcible, and purely voluntary on the woman's behalf.

Otherwise to the Church--STFU.

•  What the hell is (2+ / 0-)
      tmservo433, irishwitch

"hole in the bedsheet" contraception?  I know the Catholic church has some loony ideas, but I never heard of that.  Of course I'm not now nor have I ever been a Catholic, so maybe that explains it.  So what is it?

"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican." - H. L. Mencken

by SueDe on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 02:35:29 PM PST

•  Oh god.. (3+ / 0-)
        BB Jam Fan, irishwitch, SueDe

Ok, in the late 1800s there was a belief in many churches that what made sure a woman could conceive was the heat and bonding of the bodies... and so on.

The story on the internet and otherwise was often used to put down those who were orthodox jews.. but that story was primarily bogus, just internet garbage... based on a misinterpretation of beliefs.

BUT, the belief that it served as a contraception was put forward by traveling religious shows in the late 1800s not as a religious belief but as a "sign of science!" the huckster theory never gained traction, but you can still find pamphlets on why the "science" of it works

by Chris Reeves on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 02:41:06 PM PST

•  BTW (3+ / 0-)
        irishwitch, Calamity Jean, SueDe

Sometime, when I can figure out how to do it, I out to post up some of the "myths" that religious types have used in regards to sex, primarily against women...

Years ago someone I know collected up all of these pamphlets and "sex ed" contents from the really zany religious groups (including Westboro) some of it... wow.  It'd be much funnier if you were confident no one believed any of it

by Chris Reeves on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 02:48:28 PM PST

•  OK, I've stopped laughing at your description (1+ / 0-)
          tmservo433

now, but I would need to see the collection of pamphlets so I can know for sure this is not the stupidest belief ever hawked by a religious organization

by SueDe on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 06:19:38 PM PST

•  There are some good ones. (1+ / 0-)
            rocksout

Two of my favorites are:

* Women should never, ever be allowed "on top" in any sexual act, as it subborns the will of GOD, as men are supposed to be the head of the household in all things and a wife must submit to him, etc.   There is also a description of why you can't get pregnant this way that seems to imply that women must be completely hollow inside as (in graphic terms) everything just comes falling out making it pointless.

* Women who are loud during sex are risking calling Satan to be in the bedroom with them, as they are invoking "dark spirits", where a dutiful wife will remain "Peaceful in contemplation of the joy of our lord and savior who has called her into service as a mother of her husband's flock."

by Chris Reeves on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 06:51:32 PM PST

•  EGAD! (0+ / 0-)

Sometimes I wonder whether women can ever reach equality as long as there are any men left at all.

by SueDe on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 09:35:49 AM PST