View Diary: IAN: Good Morning, February 8, 2013! (40 comments)

•  Last time we moved in the winter (7+ / 0-)

I wore myself down so much I ended up with double pneumonia a few days after the move. But that move was just me and Caedy doing the bulk of the work. We'll have more help this time. I'm trying to take it slowly with the packing and I'll do the same with the unpacking. Plus the kids are older and more helpful.

I have the cat carrier propped open and her cat food in it. I'm hoping I can get her used to going in and out so I don't have to fight her so much on moving day. She's only gone on short car trips in the past and we held her for those. This is going to be a 2, 2.5 hour drive. She's not going to be a happy cat when we get there, and even less so when she finds herself shut in the bathroom until all the furniture is moved in!

by FloridaSNMOM on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 04:45:59 AM PST

•  Oh yes, the trials (7+ / 0-)

and tribulations of moving a cat.  If you can, you might speak to a vet about tranquilizing her for the move, it really is kinder for pooties.  She may even remain groggy enough that staying crated may be a good idea.

And if you have some feliway to use in the new house, that can help, too.

Don't do laundry before you move - the dirty laundry smell will help her and the dogs adjust to the new place faster.

All knowledge is worth having. Check out OctopodiCon to support steampunk learning and fun. Also, on DKos, check out the Itzl Alert Network.

by Noddy on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 05:45:27 AM PST

•  My daughter (6+ / 0-)

is sleeping with the 'baby blanket' we're putting in the crate with her, which I'm hoping will help. Unfortunately I don't have money for a vet as well before we go, not with all the deposits and having to budget for Caedy missing a paycheck or two as well. Can cats take benedryl like dogs can?

by FloridaSNMOM on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 05:49:33 AM PST

•  Xanax, prozac, benadryl (7+ / 0-)

should all work for cats.  A vet could tell you the right quantities.  Benadryl (diphenhydramine)would be about 1 mg per pound of cat, because I've used it before. The cat gets mellow and groggy.

But I've never used xanax or prozac.

If you know someone with a car, you might take the cat on a longish drive, with treats, and see how she reacts.  She might be quite calm about  it.  Many cats are. It's just a few that freak out. My daughter's cat, Keegan, was a freaker.  The first time in a car, he creeled at the top of his lungs, and had diarrhea, puked, and shed most of his hair off (that was just a 10 minute drive to the vet).  The second time, we sedated him, and he was still stressed, but mostly he moaned, and didn't get diarrhea or puke or shed.  So he was always sedated for car drives.

by Noddy on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 06:39:18 AM PST

•  Yikes, both ends of the cat! Good info about (7+ / 0-)

traveling with cats with 7, myself, sometimes I get the
            vet to come to me.
            I bought one of your books! Can't wait to get it and
            get to work getting my affairs in order.
            Am battening down the hatches here, thank God for a
            new generator, easy to use and strong enough to
            power everything. Will stay in touch, it is just snowing
            already.

"The devil laughs when the poor give to the rich," Benvenuto Cellini, goldsmith, sculptor 1500-1571

by bumbi on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 06:47:38 AM PST

•  I don't have anyone who can do a long ride (4+ / 0-)

before next Wednesday, when we move. Also, I don't want her to know at this point that I'm intending on shutting her into the crate. She's never been in one. I don't want to have to hunt her down on moving day. I know I'm going to have one angry and vindictive cat on my hands once this is done. But I don't want her to trip people carrying furniture, or get stepped on, or get a dresser dropped on her head. We're moving into a 2 bathroom place, so she'll have a bathroom to herself until things are moved inside. My daughter's job is going to be keeping the dogs occupied outside on leash while things are being moved around since she's too young for heavy lifting anyway. Probably she and I since my lungs aren't up for it either.

by FloridaSNMOM on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 07:08:38 AM PST

•  Move her with the last load if you can, (6+ / 0-)

also, some cats will wail for a long time and tire themselves out when traveling. Then they start panting and you feel like you should give them a drink. The wailing and panting may upset the kids.

Do not let anyone unstopper that bottle for any reason, the "genie" will be very difficult to get back in the bottle, and may interfere with the driver or scratch the passengers due to panic. Plan ahead to give kitty some ice or bring a little dish and a bottle of water that can be squirted inside.

When I moved swampyankee's Smudge from CT to NY, I started with a carrier, but put it into a dog crate with the carrier's door open.  There was a little crying but when she found she could go out of the carrier and back in she settled right down and was a good girl for nearly 8 hours. If you have a cat harness, you might want to put it on her, too.

I once had a cat climb up under the dashboard of a van.  It took three hours and tuna to get her to come out far enough so we could re-capture her.  We didn't dare start the van; too many wires and we could have had a damaged van and a damaged kitty.

Have fun at the meet-up tomorrow! The group looks like a fun one!

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever. & http://www.dailykos.com/blog/Okiciyap

by weck on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 07:30:05 AM PST

•  That is a great idea, how much bigger (4+ / 0-)

was the dog crate? (than the cat carrier)

by bumbi on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 07:35:53 AM PST

•  It was a big crate, just barely fit in the car, (3+ / 0-)

but I would do it again for any cat that needed to take a long trip, the cat didn't feel trapped and settled down pretty quickly.  Two of mine wail all the way to the vet (15 mins) and I'm afraid they will damage themselves trying to escape the carrier.  I can handle 15 minutes each way.

by weck on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 08:03:31 AM PST

•  Actually we're planning (5+ / 0-)

on me, Dad, Dad's mom and Bit to go up in the morning with the animals, because the three of us will be no help in loading the truck anyway. We have to go up, get the lease signed, get the keys and go to the water utility and get that paperwork filled out because you can't do it online. If we don't get the water stuff done before noon we won't have water until the next day. Draco and Caedy are going to stay here with Dad's dad and some cousins as well as Caedy's one friend to load the truck and bring it up later. And no, no one is opening that carrier until we get there. I don't have a harness for her, and she's never been on leash. I've done that before with my aunt's cats (from PA to FL) wasn't fun at all!
                I plan on getting her up there in the carrier, setting up food and water and the litter box in the bathroom where she'll be confined, opening the carrier door and getting out of the bathroom without her sneaking out. Then we'll put a sign on the door so no one goes in.

by FloridaSNMOM on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 07:55:13 AM PST

•  Sounds like you have things (4+ / 0-)

under control, at least as much as you can do.  Wish I lived closer.  I'm not in much better shape than you are, but many hands (even crippled, weak ones) make light work.  :-)

-7.62, -7.28 "Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes

by luckylizard on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 07:01:56 AM PST

•  Right now we do yes. (5+ / 0-)

I get more nervous as things get closer, getting everything coordinated and turned on with deadlines always makes me nervous. I always manage to do it, but it's very stressful (in part because I have no sense of time or date, so I double and triple check myself constantly). So Noddy, make sure you have the day of the week right until Wednesday please!! Otherwise I'll think I'm on the wrong day all day!

by FloridaSNMOM on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 07:11:06 AM PST

• GOP (16)
  • Law (16)
  • Climate Change (15)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Marriage Equality (14)
  • Racism (13)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site