View Diary: Iowa Republican introduces bill to define abortion as murder just 'cause (153 comments)

•  Protecting the pre-born (17+ / 0-)

ends with actual birth.  After that, you're on your own.

These people are pro-fetus/anti-life.  No two ways about it.

"Why reasonable people go stark raving mad when anything involving a Negro comes up, is something I don’t pretend to understand." ~ Atticus Finch, "To Kill a Mockingbird"

by SottoVoce on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 08:27:04 AM PST

•  I'm wondering why none of these (15+ / 0-)

laws have been challenged in a court of law.  The last ruling I can remember the SCOTUS deciding on the subject of abortion made it illegal for states to put an "undue burden" on women seeking to terminate a pregnancy.  If running every provider out of a state, forcing a woman to have a purely unnecessary procedure done against her will or making a woman wait three days for the procedure, or even  criminalizing abortion is not are undue burdens, I can't imagine what such a burden would be.

"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican." - H. L. Mencken

by SueDe on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 09:32:01 AM PST

•  please don't even bother to try... (5+ / 0-)
        ...they're hard at work thinking up new ones every day.

I think I would like to see Rep. Aptly-Named-Bacon be forced to birth a full-term baby out of whatever orifice he has available to him. Because it would give me great enjoyment to regulate HIS fucking body for a change.

Oink oink, Mr. Bacon.

"I think in America, the opposite of poverty is justice." Bryan Stevenson

by gfre on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 09:55:46 AM PST

•  I hope Bacon runs for the US senate seat (0+ / 0-)

Go for it, Mr. Bacon.  Run for that open US senate seat in Iowa.

We want to posterize these out-of-control whackjobs as the face of the Republican Party, and make every Republican nominee pay the price at the ballot box for this extremism.

Please help to fight hunger with a donation to Feeding America.

by MJB on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 10:41:21 AM PST

•  Bacon won't run for U.S. Senate, but (1+ / 0-)
            SueDe

Steve King may, and he's no better. From King's web site:

A moral society cannot be sustained unless full human rights are extended to the unborn. In Congress, I have cosponsored the Life at Conception Act, which would establish personhood at the moment of conception and guarantee the constitutional right to life for unborn children. I have also cosponsored the No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act, which would prohibit taxpayer dollars from being use to perform abortions.
    •  In SC they are now suspending MCD for (5+ / 0-)

children of deadbeat dads until the dads sign paperwork agreeing to have their wages garnished to pay part of the cost of the healthcare.  I guess the legislators don't understand what deadbeat means

•  Wrong (1+ / 0-)
      Dogs are fuzzy

I am pro-life from conception to natural death.  So I don't know who "these people" are.  Ladies if you don't want a baby, take some personal responsibility and don't have sex or at least make sure you can't get pregnant.  Gentlemen that goes for you too - take some personal responsibility and either don't have sex or make sure you won't get her pregnant.  If you are pregnant respect the life you chose to create by your actions.  If you cannot afford the child you chose to create there are people out there who would love to raise that child you created by your actions.

•  Yeah, how ’bout making it "attempted murder" (16+ / 0-)

to defund food assistance programs? Or denying health care access?

Jon Husted is a dick.

by anastasia p on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 09:55:32 AM PST

•  ND passed this type of bill just this week. (3+ / 0-)
      m00finsan, Julia Grey, ChristineM

ND passed a personhood bill this week.  I read the Grand Forks Herald, Fargo Forum and the Bismark papers, this got no airplay locally or nationally. Reading the bills I think Menstruation has been outlawed. 7 Bills in the last couple of days...

•  They didn't pass it. (0+ / 0-)

That's why it got no airplay locally or national. It's in one chamber of the legislature. They want to put it on the ballot. While it should be watched by activists, expecting the media to get into a lather about something that is in the early stages isn't realistic.

Jon Husted is a dick.

by anastasia p on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 10:59:10 AM PST

•  I grew up on the border of ND (3+ / 0-)
          Munchkn, NevDem, ChristineM

I grew up on the border of ND and spent four years going to college in ND.  These bills have a good chance of passing, even if they are put up to a popular vote.  There is a reason the forced breeders think ND can overturn Roe.  This is a state that is overwhelmingly republican, a state that has 1.62 men for every women (not including the oil boomtowns, with them it is more than two men for every woman by some estimates) and a place where the media won't even air these types of bills. I think this is a state to watch, just my opinion. Other states like VA and even ID turned out protests on less than this, I don't expect that in Bismarck.

•  Reading my previous comment, there is more (1+ / 0-)
            ChristineM

I have watched ND politics almost as close as I have watched MN politics.  Truthfully when you look at ND you look at a popuation that has a median age of over 40. You look at an overwhelming republican male base. You look at a population that until the oil boom was overwhelmingly based on a farm economy.  The young (especially women) have been leaving that state for more than a generation. This is a state where if you are a woman you consider it a "good job" when you are hired to wait tables.  This is a state that was rated worst in the nation for women. As a Liberal Democratic woman I cheered for a Blue Dog Heidi Heitcamp to be elected, and know part of the reason she was elected was that Blue Dog Colin Peterson talking about the farm bill on every media platform on the eastern side of the state.  I have five bucks that says if any one of these so called Pro Life bills are put to a vote they will pass.

•  Not even that (0+ / 0-)

They don't lift a finger to research spontaneous miscarriages.

•  Wait till the baby boom hits in states that are (0+ / 0-)

restricting abortion. You can't have it both ways. If poor women have more kids the kids will vote and not for crazy repubs/

Our money system is not what we have been led to believe. The creation of money has been "privatized," or taken over by private money lenders. Thomas Jefferson called them “bold and bankrupt adventurers just pretending to have money.” webofdebt

by arealniceguy on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 09:09:38 PM PST