View Diary: The Evening Blues - 2-8-13 (56 comments)

•  Thanks Joe for the feedback on the hearings (9+ / 0-)

yesterday.

Concurrence

To thine ownself be true

by Agathena on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 05:18:33 PM PST

•  i can't say that i was enormously surprised... (7+ / 0-)

by the obsequious conduct of the senators and their utter failure to do more than beg to be brought into the loop so that they can appear to be performing some sort of minimal oversight function.  i was a little surprised at how utterly and transparently the administration is willing to demonstrate their contempt for the other branches of government.

i've been thinking that the hearings were such an incredible demonstration of the problem that the unitary executive national security state has become that perhaps people on daily kos ought to consider it.  i guess it's probably mostly the dfh segment that appears to care about this, though.

i'm part of the 99% - america's largest minority

by joe shikspack on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 05:31:29 PM PST

•  I was surprised by a few things (6+ / 0-)

I was surprised that Wyden let him off so easily when he asked whether Americans could be targeted on American soil.

I was surprised at the horrific exchange between Brennan and Feinstein about Awlaki.

I was surprised that Brennan refused to say that waterboarding is torture.

I was surprised that more senators did not try to get answers to some critical questions.

"Justice is a commodity"

by joanneleon on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 05:46:47 PM PST

•  She was so obsequious, it was sickening (5+ / 0-)

"people think when we say American citizen that it's a good guy."

No they don't!

Brennan, Feinstein, and the Senators with maybe two exceptions, they are all American citizens and we don't think they are good.

And so, he's not a good guy, where's his due process?

Eichmann killed millions and he got a trial.

To thine ownself be true

by Agathena on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 05:58:05 PM PST

•  i was a little surprised at wyden... (4+ / 0-)

but not too much.  after seeing so many democrats talking progressive and then tucking tail and caving over the last few years, i suppose that his retreat was not entirely out of character for a democrat.

i thought that the colloquy that feinstein and brennan carried out sounded almost scripted.  i was glad to hear scahill's take on it, because it's good to know that i'm not the only person that was suspicious that (as scahill described it) show trial of awlaki was orchestrated by the white house.

i was not at all surprised that brennan evaded the question about whether waterboarding is torture.  he is hoping to run an agency where there are still many war criminals (probably including himself) employed.

i was a bit surprised that the republicans didn't push much harder on the benghazi theme or try to get brennan to "vindicate" dark side darth cheney's strategy and tactics.

i'm part of the 99% - america's largest minority

by joe shikspack on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 06:01:20 PM PST

•  Americans want to feel safe, so I'm not surprised (2+ / 0-)
          joe shikspack, enhydra lutris

In fact, Americans TODAY want more desperately to feel safe than at any point in American history, and it only gets worse.

I haven't seen such a graph, but I'd bet Pew or some pollster/sociologist could do the research and show, in a linear fashion, that Americans have become more and more risk averse with each year since the end of WWII.

The past 2 decades have become almost tragi-comic...but the signs are everywhere.  We are a fearful people, and we want someone to protect us.  From everything.

From terrorists.  From storms, from our toys, from each other, from our food, from our cars, from our vices, from foreigners, from you name it.  We live in fear of life and its inescapable risks.  But inescapable as those risks may be, as soon as one slips through the cracks and touches one of us, we will sue someone's ass for every penny they're worth for the trauma it causes.

And you wonder why our government is using drones?

Because we demand to be safe...at all costs.  Drones are not a symptom of bad government...they are a symptom of unreasonable expectations in the populace of a life that can never be touched by misfortune.

Oregon: Sure...it's cold. But it's a damp cold.

by Keith930 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 06:55:55 PM PST

•  Americans demand to be safe from what the (6+ / 0-)

government and it's oligarchy partners tell them they should want to be safe from.  Little do most realize that they should be demanding to be safe from their own government, and it's oligarchy partners.  Drones are a symptom of long term propaganda, misinformation, disinformation and outright brainwashing.  Nothing new, people have always been manipulated into fear for ruling class purposes, primarily war, militarization, and police state actions, it's just that now it's been taken to an Orwellian and very dangerous level.

"The Global War on Terror is a justification for U.S. Imperialism. It must be stopped."

by BigAlinWashSt on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 07:13:50 PM PST

•  I've already begun to censor what I say here (2+ / 0-)
        dharmafarmer, joe shikspack

on DKos, sadly. Anything remotely critical of President Obama is likely to get such insane, knee jerk blowback, I just don't need it. People are so quick to kill the messenger, damn the substance.

Even on jbou's diary just a bit ago, I wrote something very well thought out and completely documented, but ended up hitting "cancel" just because I didn't feel like dealing with the hysterical  crap that might have come my way.
        It's really very sad.

If "elitist" just means "not the dumbest motherfucker in the room", I'll be an elitist! - David Rees from "Get Your War On". //"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Denis Diderot

by Oaktown Girl on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 08:44:34 PM PST

•  Hmm (3+ / 0-)

I think I understand that.  I think it is kind of what I was talking about in my comment above.

But are the morning glories the escape, the thing that makes it bearable? Or are they somehow representative of the madmen at the wheel?

And why is it called Concurrence.

I'm terrible at poetry, you know.  Mostly because I am always afraid that I am making a stupid interpretation and will embarrass myself :)  (but only if there are art snobs around who like to put down people who are less sophisticated than themselves, and most artists and aficionados are not, I think).

"Justice is a commodity"