View Diary: Insurers not looking to delay Obamacare, mostly (50 comments)

•  The more I hear about insurance companies (10+ / 0-)

trying to stop aspects of the ACA, the more I think we need a single payer system.

We'll cut our expenses in half and maybe we'll finally be in the top 10 or even top 20 in infant mortality.

"If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin." Charles Darwin

by Rockydog on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 11:50:54 AM PST

•  Are high infant mortality rates... (2+ / 0-)
      slothlax, nextstep

...mostly a function of health care availability or are they more a function of more females in America having babies at a very young age or using drugs/alcohol which result in higher risk of infant mortality?

I don't know, but it seems likely simplistic to assume that lack of "free" (i.e., paid for by someone else) health care is the primary determinate of infant mortality.

Also, one needs to be careful with inconsistent reporting of infant mortality across countries. The US is aggressive about reporting infant mortality (regardless of weight or term, if the baby is alive at birth and dies even ten minutes later, it's an 'infant death') while some countries don't report infant deaths if they are under some number of weeks of term, or survive less than 24 hours, or are under some birth weight weight. I think this is slowly being addressed, but it's an issue to keep in mind until all countries use the same standards.

•  The reporting discrepancies (1+ / 0-)
        tb mare

were ended in the early 90s when WHO pressured countries for uniform standards. That's an old excuse offered for sloppy care here.

The problem of our high rates of teen births is real and does impact the stats somewhat but the key reason is our heavy medicalized care and our high rate of caesarians especially when done for convenience.

I'm asking you to believe. Not in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... *I'm asking you to believe in yours.* Barack Obama

by samddobermann on Sun Feb 10, 2013 at 03:29:44 AM PST

•  "that dog won't hunt"... (2+ / 0-)
      splashoil, antirove

...many posters here at Dkos were right here daily and in the streets on the frontlines all across America fighting like rabid dogs for single payer. But the battle was all in vain. The decision was all but decided from day one. There's enough blame to go around, though.  Big Insurance, Big Pharma, Wall Street, and many corporate-owned congress critters on both sides of the aisle dug in their heels and caved in to the special interests, including our current House Minority(then Majority) leader and beloved president. We were told time after time, that because many never even read the final bill that was drafted, crafted by the HC industry lawyers and who were scared to death of single payer, spent hundreds of millions to kill it in the crib.  Big Insurance crammed the final bill down our throats, and the only choice we had was tow the party line, that we had to pass the bill to see what was in the bill and that passing "half a loaf was better than no loaf". I read the PDF version of it then and let me tell you, if our Dems had bothered to read past the cover sheet, single payer would probably have stood a better chance, because a lot of its provisions, (not surprisingly to former full time Dem activists like me) have absolutely nothing to do with health care.

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go in harm's way." John Paul Jones

by ImpeachKingBushII on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 07:40:57 PM PST

•  IKBII: You are wrong. If any attempt (1+ / 0-)
        Sherri in TX

was made for single payer you would have had an uprising to make the tea party look like a mole hill on a mountain.

The majority of people have insurance through employers and would have been terrified of change particularly if they were in the midst of treatments for things like cancer. One key to getting reforms was to minimize disruption.

Besides there is much more to the ACA than just the insurance regulation which was very much needed — or Medicare would have collapsed.

Do you realize that 1 in 3 Medicare patients who are hospitalized incur a serious medical error? Do you realize that over 100,000 Americans die each year from preventible medical error? That is more than the number who die from lack of access to care.

No the bill was not crafted by insurance industry; it was mainly crafted by Nancy de Parle who has admirable qualifications and nothing to do with insurance industry.

You may be a full time Dem activist but you don't know shit about the health care systems when you blow off the most important parts of the ACA to actually impacting the quality and cost of care.

You are one of those people who  think that the insurance is health care. It is merely the vehicle for financing it.

look:
        Medicare is a single payer system.
        Medicare has very serious cost and quality problems.
        Therefore: a single payer system does not preclude serious cost and quality problems.

by samddobermann on Sun Feb 10, 2013 at 03:58:11 AM PST

•  sorry we have to agree to disagree... (1+ / 0-)
          antirove

...May I suggest that you may have forgotten some key facts. NYCEVE and SLINKERWINK (and many others here who were in the streets)are much more qualified than me to bring you up to speed, as I have been too occupied trying to survive a terminal liver disease and had to retire (against my will) from full-time activism. I do agree with you that Medicare is single payer. I wouldn't be alive today without it. My memory is failing me, however. I don't recall you being active in this fight. That is not to say you weren't, just  that I don't remember you.

by ImpeachKingBushII on Sun Feb 10, 2013 at 08:17:32 AM PST

•  That will not cut expenses in half (1+ / 0-)
      antirove

nor will it have a great effect on infant mortality.

In the US we have a caesarian rate of about 35%. Ideal is below 15%. Countries with the lowest rate of infant and maternal mortality are well below that.

Countries with better rates have much higher rates of midwife births.

by samddobermann on Sun Feb 10, 2013 at 03:22:26 AM PST

•  Print this for Reference (1+ / 0-)
      GayHillbilly

Obamacare: A Deception

The devil is in the details.  And what details await us!

The author also points out that the cost of using the mandated policies will be prohibitive because of the large deductibles and co-pays. Many Americans will find themselves not only with a policy they can’t afford, but also with one they cannot afford to use. Those who cannot afford the insurance, even with a subsidy, will be faced with a costly penalty, and in many cases, this, too, will be difficult, if not impossible, to pay. As each year’s subsidy is based on last year’s income, there will be a substantial year-end tax liability for those who must repay the subsidy in whole or part because their income increased during the year. The stress alone from such a regressive scheme is, without a doubt, not conducive to good health and well-being.
      Hoocoodanode?
      •  Bronze, Silver & Gold (0+ / 0-)

So much for the quaint concept of equal care for all.  Bronze plan recipients of Medicaid over 55 must plan on their estates reimbursing the States for the care received.  Gold plan Senators and Congressmen will have no such petty worries.  Their care is free...
        When the ACA stands naked for all to look at, we will be worse off than before it started.  If you don't get the gold plan.