View Diary: Unemployed and Suicidal...Once (46 comments)

•  That wonderful mouse. Animals have a way of (8+ / 0-)

changing our frame of mind, don't they?  I love animals.

This evening I went outside to finish digging myself out of Nemo, and I heard a great horned owl, "hoo, ha, hoo, hoo."

That made my night.  I hadn't heard an owl around here for over a year, and I love owls.

Information is the currency of democracy. ~Thomas Jefferson

by CIndyCasella on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 10:04:40 PM PST

•  yep... wonderful mouse! and the reason i love (10+ / 0-)

going to the barn late at nite is the number of "night walkers" i see - from owls, racoons, deer - coyotes yipping between packs - it is truly magical, isn't it!

yes, the best things in life really are free - the quietude that holds volumes of sounds from the solitary night...

when nims was still alive and i lived at the barn where he and sani had a HUGE pasture in which to play, i usd to go sit between them and watch the stars - sometimes the late sumer shooting ones - between their feet.  we'd together just sit and savor the fresh night air and the beauty of the sky together.

one nite i was making my way back down to go to bed when i heard this chittering - didn't recognize the creature making it so i followed the sound down between a row of paddocks until i came close to the end.  the horse in the paddock beside the tree where all the activity was occurring looked at me frantically saying NO!  NO!

when i looked up on the branch, two beautiful young skunks were talking to each other.  the young male, when i softly said "well, hello!' quietly crept down and slipped away into the field.  the young female just stayed draped across the limb of the tree languidly watching me as i told her how beautiful she was...

all this while the poor horse who lived in the paddock not two feet from the tree had his lips tightly drawn and his eyes narrowed - not moving an INCH!

since the beautiful "kitty" showed no apprehension or fear, i stayed and softly talked to her a bit - then bade her good night and quietly turned and started to walk away.

that's when i "heard" the horse mutter "stupid HUMAN!"...  he was convinced i was going to get his paddock sprayed and he'd have to suffer the consequences of my behavior.  don't know if he ever forgave me for HIS tense night!  8^)

EdriesShop Is it kind? is it true? is it necessary?

by edrie on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 11:27:19 PM PST

•  You write so well. I feel as though I was there. (4+ / 0-)
        JayRaye, cotterperson, NancyWH, edrie

My cat got sprayed twice last summer cavorting with skunks.  I wiped him down with a paper towel and the stink dissipated by the next morning.  He didn't seem to mind stinking to high heavens, though.

I've never seen an owl in the wild except once.  Last night I walked closer and closer to the hooting, but the owl stopped hooting before I could find him.

While walking through Harvard Yard over 30 years ago one winter evening, I saw students looking up into a tree.  There I saw a Snowy Owl eating a rat, I think.  Eww!  The owl was beautiful, though.

4 winters ago, I cross country skied too far to get home before dusk and was frankly a little frightened making my way back in the dark.  I was at the remotest part of the Town Forest, furthest from any home, when I heard a loud weird screeching.  My heart leaped.  I skied like the dickens home.  I got on line and listened to all the owl calls and realized that what I heard was a Screech Owl.

Information is the currency of democracy. ~Thomas Jefferson

by CIndyCasella on Sun Feb 10, 2013 at 08:34:41 AM PST

•  I was going through a bad spell once [!] (4+ / 0-)
        Fairlithe, edrie, CIndyCasella, MRA NY

and went down to the creek behind my childhood country home.  [I was living in a near by city.]  I watched some muskrats doing whatever muskrats do at dusk, feed, come home, what do I know?  Watching their sleek bodies moving silently through the water, I realized nothing that was weighing me down meant bupkiss to these beautiful creatures.  Not to subtract from the very real & tangible woes of many, I realized, in my case, @ least 1/2 were self inflicted.  I started to grow some perspective that day.  Sending positive energy to all who are suffering.

"The light which puts out our sight is darkness to us." Thoreau

by NancyWH on Sun Feb 10, 2013 at 10:51:28 AM PST

•  for me, perspective is being at the barn at 2am - (3+ / 0-)
          NancyWH, CIndyCasella, JayRaye

the not so odd thing is that many times, i will find traces of others who are there in the night.  we were the barn "vampires" for a long time - never came out in the day.

it is so very beautiful when the world is left to its nocturnal doings.  one of my favorites now is driving by the deer who are coming in for the night to be safe from our nearby mountain lion and having them stop and stay to look at me as much as i am looking at them.

one dusk, the beautiful buck with his family was so entranced by my tee that he stopped, staring for the longest time - then slowly started taking steps closer and closer to my precious one.  it was only when he couldn't quite bring himself close to the human on the other side of the leash that he turned and led that little family away.

i felt the magic between my "pup" and the deer and am quite sure had i not been there, they would have joined to greet one another!

what beautiful experiences you've had - i can also "feel" the brisk cold of the snow as you tell them!

EdriesShop Is it kind? is it true? is it necessary?

by edrie on Sun Feb 10, 2013 at 02:47:45 PM PST

•  An angel......n/t (1+ / 0-)
      CIndyCasella

The banks have a stranglehold on the political process. Mike Whitney

by dfarrah on Sun Feb 10, 2013 at 05:39:59 PM PST