View Diary: Y'all mock Chris Christie at your peril (525 comments)

•  Contrast the fake jackass Romney with the (12+ / 0-)

authentic Christie and reasonable people will agree that Christie is a political force to (maybe) be reckoned with.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Thomas Paine

by shrike on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 03:59:17 PM PST

•  He's likeable. (12+ / 0-)

As Huckabee is likeable. I mean, they say hateful, horrible things. They do. I won't vote for either.

But there is a charm in both of those men that does worry me if they would be the 2016 candidates.

They're funny. They're charming.

I mean, give us Rick Santorum, please GOP primary voters. Or even Jeb Bush. I don't want a likeable guy over on that side.

www.stacysmusings.wordpress.com

by Magenta on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 04:13:16 PM PST

•  Likeable is odd, though (7+ / 0-)

I would never in a million years have considered Dubya "likeable".  Yet that turned out to be his strongest selling point.

Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?

by ActivistGuy on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 04:22:42 PM PST

•  Christie is charming? (2+ / 0-)

Really?
        I would never  in a million years have thought Christie or Dubya  was charming.

•  I do find him charming. (5+ / 0-)

He says what he says. He is who he is. I mean, I don't think he means it, but he comes across as sincere. Reagan was likeable, too. I mean, I got it. Likeable.

Now GWB, I never understood at all. But then I like smart people, or perhaps those who at least can give impression of being smart.

I can understand how one can like a Reagan or a Christie or a Huckabee. I disagree whole-heartedly, but they're bright people who put a positive spin on the ideas.

Good news, I suppose, is the GOP seems more likely to continue to nominate morons who aren't likeable at all.

www.stacysmusings.wordpress.com

by Magenta on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 08:48:50 PM PST

•  Likeable? Seriously? (1+ / 0-)
            dinazina

He's a bully, an obnoxious bully with a lot of power.  If a public employee, say a teacher, talked that way to students or parents, is that likeable too?

I REALLY do not get what is likeable about a person who bullies.  I seriously do not get it, not even a little bit.  I never found Reagan likeable either but I understood a little why some did.  Reagan was not a bully.  He was a mediocre actor whose many roles in movies were that of a likeable good guy which, of course, was totally opposite of the reality, from his naming names in the McCarthy era to his destruction of the CA education system to his using of stereotypes and dog whistles to appeal to racists.  But people like my dad, not particularly politically to the right or the left, identified with folks like Reagan, John Wayne, Charlton Heston.  They were able to manipulate many people of my dad's generation.  Never got how younger people bought into it.

But Christie is nothing but a bully.

“We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.” Louis D. Brandeis

by Jjc2006 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 at 07:03:02 AM PST

•  It plays well in NJ (1+ / 0-)
              worldlotus

I was born and raised in NJ, and I'm very far politically from Chris Christie.

But you know what?  When the Atlantic City mayor told residents to stay put against the recommendation of the Governor during Hurricane Sandy, and then the city gets entirely flooded, Gov. Christie scolded him live in a news conference.

And I loved it.  Because that level of stupid from the AC mayor needs to be called out.  If you're a moron and in NJ, we like to call you a fucking moron (and emphasis on including the "fucking").  We're sick of people dancing around calling someone out to their face if they truly are acting like a total and complete fuck up.  So that's why Christie plays well in NJ.

Likable isn't the right word, but as mentioned just below, charismatic is.

It is done. Four More Years.

by mconvente on Sun Feb 10, 2013 at 08:27:38 AM PST

•  Well I was born and raised in the Philly area and (0+ / 0-)

I am not unfamiliar with those from NJ.  Philly folks aren't exactly shrinking violets either.

I get that there are morons who need to be called out...but not by the governor, not publicly.  Sorry but as an educator I worry about what children see as role models.  Christie's "wiseguy" attitude and bullying is not for the public.  I am not being a snob and I get frustrated as heck at people's bad choices.  But having the leader of the state bully others (even when they are making poor choices) is still bullying.  It's just wrong and it's not how the public face of government should be behaving.  As a citizen, I deserve to be treated with respect, just as my students, and their parents deserve to be treated with respect by all educators.  And believe me some parents and their children make some really bad choices.  Doesn't give me the right to bully them any more than Christie has the right to bully citizens.
                That kind of schtick being appealing, especially to progressives, no matter where they are from, is troublesome to me.

by Jjc2006 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 at 10:36:30 AM PST

•  Maybe the correct word is (3+ / 0-)

charismatic...

"Today is who you are" - my wife

by I Lurked For Years on Sun Feb 10, 2013 at 04:31:06 AM PST