View Diary: Morning Open Thread: DKos Florida Meet-Up -- Photo Heavy (150 comments)

•  My wife looks similar to you (8+ / 0-)

No reason I can't love you both, especially seeing as how youre on the other side of the country. ;-)
    She's lost about 30 lbs over the last year but room to ungrow.

I didn't drop a lot of weight after my heart attack, wasn't that much over weight, but re-committed myself to steady exercise, which I'd slacked up on. lost about 1o lbs since then. trained some of the fat lbs into muscle lbs.
    I am right now over my BMI but thats from shrinking, not adding weight. For all my life, 160 or below was really good. now it has to be 150 or below.
    I think I'm in great shape for someone my age,64, as good or better than evreyone I know of similar age. I  go to the gym and  swim 3 halfmiles a week, walk 10 miles or more a week at least. I'm always doing active things---golfing, skiing, working on my house My dad told me when I turned 50, after that it was all about staying healthy and he's the best example: 91 y/o now, still doing the right things.
    Ive become really storing on picking and choosing the right things to eat, NEVER eat junk food, eat nothing but fresh veegtables and meat. Drink   diet Pepsi or water.  I eat the right amount and if there's some left on the plate, I leave it (not my upbringing.)
    My mom was obese for years, finally got into Overeaters Anonymous, then AA. it changed her life, she is almost the other way now---anorexic, still thinking about her weight. But she's got it under control. others in my family have had weight issues also.

I think I have a huge advantage on keeping my weight down from not drinking alcohol (since 1975)  At the time I quit drinking I was close to 200 (was then 5'8", now 5'5") I lost about 30 lbs within the next 6 months.

Its really interesting to read these latest diaries on weight----everybody's crazy about it.  I was looking at some pictures of me before the army---just a skinny kid but I always thought of myself then as fat.  Maybe its just something in the hormones.

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Sun Feb 10, 2013 at 06:38:48 AM PST

•  Just my mom's opinion (7+ / 0-)

She was obese for years, went to OA and got abstinent, moved to AA and got sober. She was an alcoholism/addiction counselor for 40 years plus.
      She says she thinks from her experience that a lot of weight issues for women stem from sexual abuse as a child. She suffered that also.
      I trust her word, she's a very smart lady with a LOT of addiction/recovery experience both for herself and as a couselor

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Sun Feb 10, 2013 at 06:55:47 AM PST

•  I have heard just that often... (8+ / 0-)

...obese women were likely sexually abused as children.

Your mom sounds like an incredibly strong woman and we can see what a good example both your parents set in how you've turned out ;)

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. John F. Kennedy

by JaxDem on Sun Feb 10, 2013 at 07:05:14 AM PST

•  Both my parents are GREAT role models (7+ / 0-)

And  better than me, no doubt.
          My mom is an incredible woman and she keeps right on trucking---89 y/o, still lives in an apartment in Berkeley close to the campus, which being rent controlled, she will only move out of feet first.
          We got her onto the  computer a couple of years ago and now we do a daily family email thing which helps us keep up with her. We do the same for my dad (parents divorced in  1957) who, like me, is married to a younger woman (family tradiition)
          You could not ask for better role models on weight (and other issues) then these two, both of them were way overweight and got over it. Both of them smoked cigarettes and over drank and got over it. Both of them worke real long  hard to get educated.  A long and happy life is their reward.
          I personally think, like with many things in life, its all about attitude. Maintain a positive attitude, respect for yourself and others, do what needs to be done. if you can'tt maintain a positive attitude, why live?
          A recipe for a happy life (yes there will still be pratfalls)
          Great role models, both of them.

OK, more soapbox:
          i think with obesity one thing that is  important to look at is how new a phenomenon it is. Go look at pictures of crowdscenes in the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s. About mid 7os they start to change.  by the turn of the century the difference is remarkable.
          What caused that? THATS what needs to be looked at.

Therre is SO much that I have changed my consciousness on in my life---about everything: civil rights, women, gays, environment, global warming, obesity---even seat belts!! When I was young, there were no seatbelts in cars---now the law requires you puut them on and I ALWAYS put mine on. Consciousness changed.
          When I was young, cigarette ads were everywhere you looked and they'd pose white coated men as doctors who'd tell you how much better their cigarette was. Everybody thought they had a right to smoke everywhere and I must admit I did too.
          now you don't see cigarette ads, you can't smoke in public places, cigarettes are universally condemned as the health disaster they are.
          Consciousness changed again
          So I changed my consciousness on seatbelts and other issues, like health.
          it takes work and dedication to the concept.
          Here's another American myth blown: nothing comes easy. there's no magic pill. the video you see being hawked on an infomercial won't make you rich.  try and get over it, America.

A word to the wise: never  blame fat people for being fat they REALLY don't like it

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Sun Feb 10, 2013 at 07:29:59 AM PST

•  Amen. Unbelievable changes in the course of (7+ / 0-)

our lifetimes. I was just telling about feeding horse chestnuts as a kid to the junkman's horse that pulled his junk wagon on the streets of NYC in Queens. And now all this; space, moon, computers, Mars, we saw the millennium, people, we're Obama people. Everything is different except human companionship, which is the same but greatly enhanced by computer and social media, like it or not.

I ♥ President Obama and have his back.
            Hands off SocSec, Medicare and Medicaid. NO subsidies to rich Corps.
            Rich pay more, bloated DoD steal less. End war on Afghanistan 01/01/14.

by OleHippieChick on Sun Feb 10, 2013 at 07:36:11 AM PST

•  It works for me (4+ / 0-)

Its hard to keep up with the consciousness changes required sometimes.
              but the internet has been very valuable to me for several reasons. One of them is the great people I'v met and can keep in touch with because of the intenet (Thanks Al Gore! rotflmao)

now I live in rural OR, I keep up more than ever. y son and 2 granddaughters live in Chile---I get to see thm AND talk to them weekly on SKYPE--FOR FREE!!! See them grow, know they know me---its a miracle!!
              real Buck Rogers stuff for someone that grew up with B&W TV and one black phone in the house with a cord to the wall.

This song says it so well---everything I knew has gone out the window---thts life

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Sun Feb 10, 2013 at 07:46:16 AM PST

• Recommended (131)
  • Community (66)
  • Elections (25)
  • Environment (24)
  • Media (23)
  • Culture (22)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Science (21)
  • Law (21)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Labor (19)
  • Economy (17)
  • Marriage Equality (17)
  • Ireland (17)
  • Bernie Sanders (16)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Rescued (15)
  • Hillary Clinton (15)
  • Climate Change (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site