View Diary: Stop Plugging Away and Start Unplugging Away! (47 comments)

•  Meh (2+ / 0-)
    John Crapper, stevemb

I can't wait till smart watches come out. I hate taking out my phone to do mundane things like check the time or weather, and it would be a great way to control the workout app on my phone while working out.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 03:55:07 PM PST

•  I feel like i am already unplugged (4+ / 0-)

by circumstance and geography, not necessarily by choice.

I live in the mountains of NH.
      Cell phone reception is 1.5 miles uphill from my place- walking the distance in summer is no problem but i must drive in winter to avoid freezing to death. When at home, i am in roving territory, so no incoming messages even.

I have DSL- big limitation there.
      Basic crappy cable- local broadcast stations and 2 PBS.

No ipad, ipod, blue tooth, or any of the other recent tech inventions the i probably have not heard of.

I would like to be more connected- having a working cell phone would be a nice luxury- but i see around me the same phenomena that many of you describe- people disconnected from face-to-face interaction, and, since this is New England and people here are less interactive that any other region in the country, there is a problem.

Walking my dog up and down my deserted country road has enabled me to at least meet most of the other neighbors with dogs - the non-dog people that drive by do wave- but it is definitely a minimalist experience.

As an artist, i do agree that a certain degree of isolation is necessary but we seem to headed in a direction that is not counter productive for our human-beingness to prevail.

•  Wow - you are really in the boonies. (3+ / 0-)

I can appreciate that you would like to be more connected.  But from what you say you seem to be more connected to what is important than many of those isolated in their concrete jungles.  I can certainly appreciate your frustration with DSL.  I used to have it and it caused my all kinds of problems and I live in the heart of Seattle.  I appreciate my cable service.  Thanks for sharing your life's details.

If we really want to straighten out all this crap we really need to think about shit - Holy Shit.

by John Crapper on Fri Mar 08, 2013 at 06:34:15 AM PST

•  Most people on line these days (3+ / 0-)

are full on into the latest technology - i always feel like such a hayseed, especially here.

But , the view from the top of the mountain and the movement of wildlife- these days it consists of huge flocks of turkeys- past my window is satisfying in ways that can never be replicated by some you tube video.

All in all, i feel lucky.

I have been thinking about a social experiment i would like to try.
          I have always wanted to live for a year in a camper, traveling around the country at my leisure.
          I am interested to determine if the people that i meet along the way would be more or less inclined to reach out to each other...will my neighbor in the adjoining wilderness campsite want to talk to me?

The booming proliferation of firearms has me worried a bit about taking on this journey but i guess i will rely on the fact that i am a harmless looking lady of a certain age.
          The irony is that i would probably have better cell and wireless coverage on the road.

•  i too am a woman of a certain age (2+ / 0-)
            flowerfarmer, John Crapper

and am unwilling to even have an ipod, and use my cellphone only to call out in emergencies;

and i'm a lawyer with a fairly busy practice

we live in the country, but all around us we see people on their contraption, usually held to their ear, but also with the little pad with a screen in their hand;

apparently this connection with others is proving the need as has always been thought a given, for a healthy life

that there are drawbacks we've only begun to see, as well as the possibility of an hitherto unimaginable cohesion of the masses

humanity is such a questionably successful production (to an alien looking at our wars and other deprivations amid this eden of an earth), who knows if this is good for the survival of the species or not

•  My in-laws did that a few years ago (1+ / 0-)
            John Crapper

They loved it, and made a lot of friends. Their age made camper life a bit too challenging (mostly the long drives from one destination to another), and they've since sold their camper, but they really enjoyed the people they met and the places they got to see along the way.

•  I'm actually not that "connected" these days (4+ / 0-)

I was the proverbial first kid on my block with a PC back in the TRS-80 days, but that was over 30 years ago and since then I've refrained from jumping on board each new toy and technology.

I only got my first real "smartphone" slightly over a year ago (and it was hardly one of the "hotter" ones available at the time), and don't have many "cool" apps on it (I just uninstalled Angry Birds because the ads were annoying).

I don't own a tablet (although I think they're a great idea, just not ready to jump on board quite yet), and have never owned an Apple product (I like tinkering with hardware and that's a big no-no in Apple world), including the iPod. I do, though, own a 5 year old Zune, which I love.

I have a 6-1/2 year old PC and a 3 year old mini-laptop. I'm probably ok with the laptop for a few more years, but I'll probably build myself a new PC later this year and use the old one as an HTPC in another room.

I have cable internet, and have had it for over 10 years. It's much faster and more reliable than DSL, which I had before it. But cell service sucks in this area, and I have to walk around inside to get a decent signal.

I have a FB account, which I proudly ignore and rarely use.

I think that the most "connected" people make the most noise, making it seem like everyone's more connected than us. I think that a lot of that is due to marketing hype intended to make us feel left out and inferior if we don't hop on every new thing. I think that there are new devices and apps coming out that are worth having, but most are either niche products or way overhyped. I don't in the slightest feel left out. Perhaps I'm in denial.

Btw, as you surely know, you can probably get VOIP phone service via your DSL, and if your phone is a smartphone, you can talk on it via WiFi. It doesn't even have to be a dedicated VOIP device. I don't know much about it but I know it's possible. You're still without coverage beyond your WiFi range until you come within cell range, but at least you can talk wirelessly at and near home. But really, when you're out for a walk, I'm guessing that you don't care to talk on the phone anyway. I know I don't.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Fri Mar 08, 2013 at 07:31:28 AM PST

•  People with more gadgets (3+ / 0-)
          John Crapper, kovie, isabelle hayes

seem to waste more time- i have played angry birds for 15 minutes while visiting my sister and was bored to death.

What do people really get back for the investment of time spent texting- if you need to talk to someone, just call them and get it over with already- or playing angry birds?

I just do not get it.

Kovie, thank you for assuming that i know about voip...not a clue.
          No smartphone, just a cheap flip phone.
          All of this new technology requires ever expanding amounts of extra cash ...i am way too much a Scot.

•  I barely text, and hate it (2+ / 0-)
            John Crapper, flowerfarmer

It takes WAY more time to type and read than just talk on the damn phone. I don't even email anymore, since people often don't respond. Posting here is my one digital "vice", and I definitely overdo it. :-)

As for VOIP, I myself don't do it, as I've nothing to gain by it since I have so many cell minutes I never use, there's Google Voice (on my phone) and Skype (on my phone and PC) for overseas calls, and reception is usually passable enough at home to not need it. But in your situation, it might make sense if you need to talk away from your home phone, if you have one (and especially if you don't). You do need a smartphone or VOIP phone to use it wirelessly, but you can probably get really cheap used smartphones (with the cell part deactivated since you'd only need the WiFi part) or a used iTouch.

It really depends on how much you really need such a capability, your time and money budget, and your interest. If you've done without till now, I'm sure you can do without for a while longer.

Also, I didn't really care for AG too. It's basically a fancy graphical version of an old text-based game I used to play on my TRS-80 whose name I forgot, with annoying ads. I have little patience for games these days.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Fri Mar 08, 2013 at 09:20:53 AM PST

•  My mobile phone is so ancient when I go (3+ / 0-)

in to have them put $100.00 on it for the pay as you go plan the phone guy is not sure he can do it.  It's kind of funny.  My wife and I have 1 mobile between us and we never use the 100.00 we put on it in any given year.  I do love to blog on Kos though on my I-pad.  Participating in this community doesn't seem like a waste of time at all.  Lot of thoughtful people posting meaty comments just like the one you just posted.  I'm always amazed at the knowledge encompassed by those on Kos.

by John Crapper on Fri Mar 08, 2013 at 09:12:08 AM PST

•  Ooh, you have an iPad, you're so special! (1+ / 0-)
            John Crapper

;-)

Seriously, I want a tablet but just can't afford/justify it now. Plus, they all still seem too big and/or heavy to me. But the concept was obvious to me way before the iPad came out. You don't need a keyboard to "consume" content, which is what most of us do much of the time we use computers.

I do like my smartphone, though. Laughably slow and clunky compared to the latest and greatest these days (even though it only came out less than 2 years ago), but it does stuff I find really helpful that no other device can do as conveniently, like GPS, map, quick search while out, texting, etc.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Fri Mar 08, 2013 at 09:25:34 AM PST

•  Wait, you have cable? (0+ / 0-)

We're in the mountains of VT - our cell connection is about the same distance (a little triangle in the middle of the road by the cemetery, on a good day), DSL arrived last year, but no cable. Compared to satellite internet, we're very grateful for DSL.