View Diary: I am overweight, so I can't have that job because I might die? (383 comments)

•  See this is my point! (2+ / 0-)
    Aquarius40, TrueBlueMajority

MITPeriodic is NOT attacking you, or your health decisions. People are taking something personally that isn't personally directed at them. Your health issues are your problem, and no one should make you feel bad about yourself. You are not a public figure, nor are you running for POTUS, therefore your personal decisions are your business, not ours. Unlike Chris Christie...

We all have our own life to pursue, our own kind of dream to be weaving, and we all have the power to make wishes come true, as long as we keep believing. Louisa May Alcott

by YoungArizonaLiberal on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 10:22:58 PM PST

•  he exactly attacked me in his comment (9+ / 0-)

Wouldn't you like to be a pepper too?

by AntonBursch on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 10:32:18 PM PST

•  I was addressing yg17 (0+ / 0-)

But nonetheless, I don't think s/he's attacking you. If that's attacking...aren't you attacking all of the people on DKOS who are now thought less of in your opinion after the FP story?

by YoungArizonaLiberal on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 10:46:50 PM PST

•  huh? (14+ / 0-)

he said that he accepts that most people can't help that they are overweight, but that in my case it was apt to say that it IS all my fault.  this after sarcastically doubting my story about how i gained weight.

what he said was meant to hurt my feelings not to make a point

and i am not attacking people by saying i lost respect for them after they made fat jokes

Wouldn't you like to be a pepper too?

by AntonBursch on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 11:00:50 PM PST

•  I disagree (0+ / 0-)

Disagreeing does not mean attacking. I have never made any fat jokes about Christie, but his weight IS something that should be discussed if he decides that he wants to constantly be in the media spotlight (talk shows, SNL) in order to boost his popularity for a re-election bid and possibly a Presidential nom.

Just because we are talking about it does not equate mocking or making fun which I don't believe the parent poster was doing.

Sorry if the comment made you feel bad. I didn't see it that way but I'm sure it wasn't their intention.

by YoungArizonaLiberal on Sun Feb 10, 2013 at 01:59:10 AM PST

•  hmm (2+ / 0-)
              Smoh, renbear

How did you think it would be taken?

People try to simplify things in order to attack people "for their own good".

Then there is the old expression "until you have walked a mile in their shoes".

Blake: I am an enemy of the Federation but it is corrupt and oppressive. I will destroy it if I can

by GideonAB on Sun Feb 10, 2013 at 04:32:19 AM PST

•  shrug. he's not picking on you. (0+ / 0-)

he's commenting on what you yourself wrote.
            you stated you ate fast food because you had no time to cook. so you gained weight.
            and that you had to drink soda because you were not getting enough sleep. so you gained weight.

those are excuses. period.
            if you want to claim you're being picked on - that's ridiculous.
            but you take responsibility for choices you CAN control.

drink water. and buy healthy bread, buy some healthy stuff to throw on the bread, and the meal prep will take you a few seconds. or buy healthy frozen dinners. there's a hundred of  them out there.
            excuses don't help you.

soda and fast food are lethal, toxic, and full of garbage that makes you gain weight.
            you can cut both our your diet in a heartbeat.
            period.

We consume the carcasses of creatures of like appetites, passions and organs with our own, and fill the slaughterhouses daily with screams of pain and fear. Robert Louis Stevenson

by Christin on Sun Feb 10, 2013 at 06:53:23 AM PST

•  sleep is a tricky one (3+ / 0-)
              SwedishJewfish, Smoh, True North

People fail to get enough sleep for a multitude of reasons.

The drugs to tackle this are often ineffective or have side effects.

Condemn all you want. It is, after all, so much easier than trying to understand

by GideonAB on Sun Feb 10, 2013 at 08:09:24 AM PST

•  I said I wouldn't talk about how I lost weight (8+ / 0-)

or rather, became healthy, but I will make one exception here. I found out I had sleep apnea-and before anyone says "you had that BECAUSE you were fat"-I had it for a long time, even when I was underweight. My airway is naturally very narrow.

Once I began treatment, I lost weight without trying. I'm still not quite sure why-I think not being exhausted all the time certainly helped me become more active-but there have been numerous studies that show sleep apnea can cause weight gain (and thus treating it can cause weight loss)

You must work-we must all work-to make a world that is worthy of its children -Pablo Casals Please support TREE Climbers for victims of child sexual abuse and exploitation.

by SwedishJewfish on Sun Feb 10, 2013 at 08:38:08 AM PST

•  Same here (4+ / 0-)
                  SwedishJewfish, GideonAB, Jill, ladybug53

I think being overweight does contribute to my apnea,
                  but it going untreated definitely added to my weight
                  issues.  When you need to get through a nine hour
                  workday, and a 1 1/4 hour commute (each way), and
                  you're dead exhausted, you (or at least I) start
                  drinking LOTS of coffee / Mountain Dew for the
                  caffeine, and eating the highest sugar content things
                  I could find, just to try and make it through work and
                  not fall asleep on the drive home.

Now that I'm treating the apnea, the bone crushing
                  exhaustion has gone away - I can be more active,
                  I've cut out the Dew, etc.  It's helping, and I'm down
                  20 lbs from my highest weight.  I have a ways to go, but
                  slowly getting there.

The Girl Who Loved Stories
                  I’m a feminist because the message is still "don’t get raped" not "don’t rape"

by Avilyn on Sun Feb 10, 2013 at 08:45:13 AM PST

•  sleep affects (3+ / 0-)
                  SwedishJewfish, True North, ladybug53

hormones.

When you get better sleep, sometimes you want to eat less.

Obviously, I cannot say whether this applies to you but I thought I would mention this in case it is helpful

by GideonAB on Sun Feb 10, 2013 at 08:46:14 AM PST

•  I know I started gaining weight in graduate school (1+ / 0-)
                  True North

It certainly stressed me out, I got no sleep, and it was totally sedentary.  I could change little of that for the five years I was in school.  I chose to diet and luckily I am a calories in/calories out person.  I hang around a healthy weight (albeit not quite what this culture wants) and feel perfectly fine.  I think it's good enough because I was able to get off cholesterol and blood pressure meds and my blood sugar is fine.

Cats are better than therapy, and I'm a therapist.

by Smoh on Sun Feb 10, 2013 at 09:56:34 AM PST

•  Sleep deprivation (1+ / 0-)
                  ladybug53

SwedishJewfish, I read Nurtureshock, by Bronson and Merryman, which summarizes some of the recent research on children from infancy through the teen-age years.

One of the chapters addressed sleep. On average, North American children now get about one hour less sleep each night than kids got thirty years ago.

Kids who sleep less are more likely to be heavier.

Sleep deprivation affects several hormones: deprivation increases the hormone that signals hunger, decreases the hormone that suppresses appetite, and increases cortisol, which tells the body to make fat.

Why are kids getting less sleep? For some, it is because they have extremely busy schedules. It seems counter-intuitive that kids with fewer activities and more sleep are less likely to be fat.

Some kids get less sleep for less positive reasons--like living in neighborhoods (or homes) with stressors like violence.

Some parents mentioned in the book had trouble with the idea that their kids needed sleep more than they needed another sports activity, especially when you're talking about weight.

So when an adult who has sleep apnea cannot get a good night's sleep, perhaps something similar is going on with hormones that do their work during sleep.

There are dozens of factors that affect weight, including some that cannot be altered--like genetics--and some that most of us would never think of, like sleep deprivation.

•  How are those EXCUSES? (5+ / 0-)

Seriously.  They were not given in an exculpatory fashion; they were describing the choices that led to weight gain and why they happened.

AntonBursch was not saying "see, this is why it's not my fault."  He was saying precisely the opposite: "see, this is how I did this to myself."

MITPeriodic's comment was completely uncalled for, as was yours.

•  i'm sorry, but who the fuck do you think you are? (0+ / 0-)

i wasn't making an excuse, because i don't OWE anyone any explanation for why i gained weight

i don't answer to you or them, Christin

what the fuck

Wouldn't you like to be a pepper too?

by AntonBursch on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 09:13:19 PM PST

•  He called his "excuses" weak (8+ / 0-)

When you call them "excuses" you are basically saying something very derogatory about the author.

"I watch Fox News for my comedy, and Comedy Central for my news." - Facebook Group

by Sychotic1 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 at 07:46:42 AM PST