View Diary: Music Break: Grammy Winners... (26 comments)

•  I Might Have Two Terabytes Of Music In My House (6+ / 0-)

I am not a "hip" dude. I don't always follow the current music. With thrt said I am a big fan of Mumford & Sons.

Oh just as an aside, I think this should have won every award tonight.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 12:06:17 AM PST

•  Alabama Shakes was another fine performance (6+ / 0-)

Prior to the show tonight, I had not been aware of Alabama Shakes. The lead singer, Brittany Howard, performed on stage with Mavis Staples in a group ensemble of amazing musicians and it was too hard to call a winner. What a great night, commercials and all. Thanks for posting this clip. I made an mental note to find out more about Alabama Shakes after watching the show, and you just made it easier.

"When faced with darkness, be the light. Remembering Richard Myers"

by Leslie Salzillo on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 12:20:39 AM PST

•  I Am So Out Of Touch (6+ / 0-)

I have never heard of The Black Keys. But I can't stop watching this video.

That is how I dance ....

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 12:27:24 AM PST

•  From When I Was 14-18 (3+ / 0-)

in the 80s I used to go to this place and danced. I might not have done it well but it didn't matter. I don't often dance. But pushed well I can dance .

This is often what we listen to.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 12:38:02 AM PST

•  You're not out of touch (0+ / 0-)

The only musicians in this diary whose music I have heard (not necessarily the songs indicated) are Dave Brubeck and Paul McCartney.

What passes for "music" today...

•  I do not believe you (1+ / 0-)
            oceanview

If nothing else, it's near impossible not to have heard of Beyoncé. And if you came of age in the Brubeck & McCartney era, you should recall Janis Ian, too. And the only way you could have not heard of Taylor Swift is if you never go to the grocery store or anyplace else which sells magazines.

Mark Twain: It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.

by Land of Enchantment on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 07:50:45 AM PST

•  Open your mind (0+ / 0-)

I have never heard any of Beyoncé's music.  Never.  Couldn't name one of her songs (but at least I know she is a she). I do recall Janis Ian (apologies if I missed her mention; "At Seventeen" is an important song).

As for "Taylor Swift" I couldn't begin to tell you what (or who) that is, and I do about 90 percent of the grocery shopping for my family.  I don't, however, buy magazines.

You can choose to believe me or not.  I don't care.  But today's pop music could hardly be less significant than it already is.

•  Yeah that's awesome (2+ / 0-)
          oceanview, Leslie Salzillo

This is the kind of video I can appreciate. Not a fan so much of videos where they try to dramatise the song according to some videographer's lame-ass interpretation

There are two types of republicans, the rich and the stupid. The rich ones strive to keep the stupid ones stupid and the stupid ones strive to keep the rich ones rich.

by frankzappatista on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 05:20:38 AM PST

•  I caught the end of the Grammys, right when (2+ / 0-)
      Leslie Salzillo, oceanview

they were doing the tribute to Levon Helm and Brittany from Alabama Shakes was part of that wonderful ensemble, then when the show was over I surfed over to the Palladia channel and they were airing an outdoor concert that included Alabama Shakes and Wilco (who I've seen 5-6 times). I definitely need to add Alabama Shakes to the must-see list. Sorry I missed Black Keys and Mumford but at least Mumford was part of that Levon tribute -- first saw The Band in 1969, great show!!

stay together / learn the flowers / go light - Gary Snyder