View Diary: BFD? WH Rules Out Medicare Eligibility Age Hike (58 comments)

•  Isn't it interesting, though, that the (2+ / 0-)
    TheLizardKing, elmo

man who strengthened Medicare via the ACA, which led to outrage here because it was just a centrist plot to trash Medicare, is still facing outrage here despite 4 years of data proving his commitment to the safety net.

It makes me wonder how the Republican Party can be thought to be struggling.  Democrats are so adept at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory we'll ensure electoral victories when Joe Arpaio is heading the national ballot.  They don't need to change they just need to wait for us to implode.

by I love OCD on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 12:41:56 PM PST

•  If you believe he strengthened Medicare (2+ / 0-)
      liberaldemdave, JesseCW

I'm not so sure.  When you discourage providers from taking Medicare patients you hurt the usual suspects - the poor and the under served.  I don't know the full impact of the cost cuts but when costs are cut the people who generally suffer are those who can't pass on the cuts to anyone else.

The point for me is that I do not believe them and I do not trust them anymore.  When they say "strengthen" or "technical change" I have to go find a health economist to tell me if I just got screwed in the fine print.

I don't repeat their spin.  I'm not a party robot that's going to go out and LIE to people in 2014 and tell them that Social Security was "strengthened" if what they really do is cut the COLA in the fine print.

If they keep pulling these tricks they are going to lose the trust of tens of millions of voters.

•  Then you aren't paying close (1+ / 0-)
        elmo

attention.  The people who were "hurt" were scammers in the durable goods industries and the middlemen profiteers the Republicans enriched with their unfunded no price negotiation allowed prescription drug plan.  The rest of us got no-copay diagnostic testing, better access to a stronger program that covers more essentials, and the fun of knowing fraudsters were finally going to jail.

by I love OCD on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 02:47:58 PM PST

•  Well so many progressives don't seem (0+ / 0-)

to think he's a real Progressive President, why is that terminology worth making a point?   He's managed to sneak a whole lot of great policies past both the RW and the LW, without much help from either side.  CFPB is being strangled in it's infancy and barely rates a mention here, but BENGHAZI!!!!! sure pulled a lot of interest yesterday.  Roger must be so proud.

by I love OCD on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 02:55:36 PM PST

•  My comment has nothing to do with (3+ / 0-)
          JesseCW, temptxan, m16eib

labels.  It has to do with idolizing a politician.  When it's something someone likes, Obama did it.  When it's something that is bad for our country and Obama is at the helm, it's We didn't have 60 votes in the Senate, and now it's, We have a republican congress.

-------------------

Actually, he didn't.

Ostensibly we have three branches of government, so if Obama snuck something past someone, that's a huge problem.
          •  Funding the CFPB through the Fed, (0+ / 0-)

not Congress.  Adding Pell Grant funding to every budget negotiation.  Building manufacturing in this country via small business funding.  Increasing our exports by negotiating trade agreements while overseas.  Strengthening the EPA.  Raising mileage standards.  Hooking TARP loans to CEO pay.  No he didn't do all those things alone, but he sure doesn't get much credit for moving really progressive changes in governance, or for being the first President to actually get a Health Care bill passed, or for getting a chunk of money from BP, while EXXON keeps stonewalling the victims of the Valdez.

It's about hero worship, though, so I won't add any more items.  I need to go now and practice being more cynical and more fearful.

by I love OCD on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 05:43:14 PM PST

•  what policies did he "sneak" through? (2+ / 0-)
          gooderservice, m16eib

Please provide more information.

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." Edward R. Murrow

by temptxan on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 03:50:32 PM PST

•  The sneaky "here's an extra special benefit (2+ / 0-)
            temptxan, m16eib

for ya?"  That one?

•  got to be more, the comment said "a whole lot of (2+ / 0-)
              m16eib, gooderservice

great policies". Can't wait for that list. I want to see what this President did all on his own with no help from congress or anyone else. I was under the impression that he couldn't do much because of the republicans.

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." Edward R. Murrow

by temptxan on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 04:10:04 PM PST

•  Well it benefits me that I can (0+ / 0-)

get mammograms without a co-pay.  That was extra special since one sister died of breast cancer and another is fighting it right now.  But that's just me, being a idolator.

by I love OCD on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 05:50:40 PM PST

•  I'm sorry to hear about your sister. (0+ / 0-)

But "free" mammograms now was included in the bill the House and Senate passed and Obama signed the bill.  But that's only for people with health insurance to my understanding.

•  no it's tied to Medicare. I had (0+ / 0-)

to pay a large co-pay for all diagnostic testing, making mammograms unaffordable.  This was something Obama pushed for when he was working on the ACA.  It was personal for him.

The point is that we lost all the subtle benefits the ACA brought in all the noise about no PO, or not going bold with single-payer.  It was a miracle that anything passed, and we missed that, too.  Instead of building on our first real platform for reform we yelled "kill the bill", and now just just grouse about it's shortcomings.

We win and it's not good enough so we wait for the next generation to strengthen it.  Exactly as we did with SS and Medicare.  We're doing the same thing with the CFPB. We ignore it's effectiveness because someone told us Obama was a weakling for not putting Elizabeth Warren in charge.  She built it!  He put her in charge of creating it, setting policies and standards and the working guts of it.  Then she won a tough election and is a Senator with far more power to impact our financial system.  Obama also took funding for the bureau away from the Senate so they can't starve it like they did FEMA, OSHA, PCA.  They're livid and they're killing it, and we have diaries about chained CPI and RW books about BENGHAZI!!!!, popes, Sheriff Joe, but little about CPFB because the Common Wisdom has been laid out and we're marching like lemmings to the sea.

We're the smart ones and we're acting like Fox News viewers.  Someone told us something, it took hold, we don't look deeper we just repeat the talking points.

by I love OCD on Tue Feb 12, 2013 at 06:54:22 AM PST

•  You call it noise, I call it what it is: (0+ / 0-)

Helping people and saving lives.

•  Who's helped when CFPB is gutted? Who (0+ / 0-)

wins when Medicare fraud is a growth industry?  Who wins when Republican governors can refuse a Medicaid expansion?  How many lives are saved when $110 is taken from my SS check to pay private insurers to tell me the medication I need is too expensive so here's your option?

If retirees with large retirement accounts are asked to take lower cost of living increases, who dies?  If they lose those savings to medical expenses isn't it likely they'll be with the rest of us, getting larger increases?

Reflexive outrage doesn't leave room for common sense discussions.  So how are we different from the Tea Party?

by I love OCD on Tue Feb 12, 2013 at 12:36:21 PM PST

•  So you're looking forward to chained CPI. (0+ / 0-)

You must be proud.

•  I'm waiting to see what's actually done. (0+ / 0-)

It's something I learned to do here, after months of jumping on High Drama Alerts that turned out to be nothing.

I'm assessing the likelihood that Obama was just waiting for his second term to gut the safety net he spent his first term strengthening.

I tend to look harder at what's been done than to respond to OMG HE MIGHT.  I learned a painful lesson during the health care reform battles that raged here.  We had 3 or 4 really excellent bills to throw our weight behind and we squandered that time, money and energy on fighting Blue Dogs.  A side issue.  Who knows how good an outcome we might have promoted if we hadn't been caught up in the "True Progressives vs the DLC" battle?

by I love OCD on Wed Feb 13, 2013 at 08:11:43 AM PST

•  It would behove you to listen to his spokesperson. (0+ / 0-)
                            I tend to look harder at what's been done than to respond to OMG HE MIGHT.
                            Who said Obama wants a chained CPI.

Sorry, but this "Oh, I'll wait," is ridiculous.  Speak out now.  Because after it's a done deal, it's too, too late.

•  Believe me the WH has heard from me (0+ / 0-)

about this.  I'm barely surviving on SS plus some money for playing the organ in a church.  It's personal, it has weight in my life, I'm still not convinced I'm going to be screwed.  Obama had a lot of opportunities to cut SS benefits when he was trying to engage the Republicans in active governance.  Now he's telling them to do the job or get out of his way.  This is not a guy who's trying to please them in order to get stuff done.  I still think it's more likely he's setting them up to go on record with shit that will kill SS.

I don't think the VAWA vote was timed coincidentally.  The Savior of the GOP supports wife-beaters is not what they had in mind when Rubio was chosen to fake respond.

by I love OCD on Wed Feb 13, 2013 at 09:26:43 PM PST

•  see above, then Google. (0+ / 0-)

by I love OCD on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 05:49:14 PM PST

•  burden of proof. You made the statement. You (0+ / 0-)

provide the info or else I chalk it up to hyperbole.

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." Edward R. Murrow