View Diary: White House: No Medicare age increase, cut Social Security instead (360 comments)

•  I wish I could understand it too; that might help (15+ / 0-)

with an effective way to counter it, whatever arguments he's hearing in its favor. I do not get it at all. To me, the most plausible rationales have to do with this (ridiculous) idea of "shared sacrifice," to which I can only say that I do not think that means what he thinks it means.

Some DKos series & groups worth your while: Black Kos, Native American Netroots, KosAbility, Monday Night Cancer Club. If you'd like to join the Motor City Kossacks, send me a Kosmail.

by peregrine kate on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 01:50:29 PM PST

•  Not to sound silly (20+ / 0-)

but I believe he is listening to Wall Street, the very ones who have no idea what shared sacrifice means.  There is nothing to "share," when you solely depend on SSDI such as myself.  Your already sacrificing.  The whole shared sacrifice idea is lost when those that can least afford any sacrifice are asked to sacrifice more than their "fair," share.  And too many people are doing just that not only in America, but also in Europe.

This whole idea of austerity politics gets lost also when the corporations are making out like bandits and holding on to trillions of dollars and not paying taxes or very little tax.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolution­ary act. " George Orwell

by zaka1 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 02:30:05 PM PST

•  the alien overlords of your choice. (6+ / 0-)

Welcome to your plutocratic dystopia, with the alien overlords of your choice.

So so-called Dems rejoice over a (technically) DEMOCRATIC president who finally reverses his ill conceived cave in to the reich wing on raising the medicare age? Not because this is a stupid and heartless suggestion , but just that it wouldn't help cut the deficit?

But note that this Wall St. Dimmycrat is still gleefully putting Medicare and Social Security on the chopping block, after a reelection, by other means -- because the New Deal is dead, killed by the most conservative Democratic president in over 50 years.

•  I don't think they are aliens (1+ / 0-)
          Whatithink

just creepy, mean, people who are self-serving.  The chained CPI will not cut the defict either.  This is just an excuse to cut Medicare and Social Secuirty.  This will have a more negative effect than a positive one.  But in today's world the "new," kind of thinking is your on your own.  Well hate to break it to them, but we did pay for these benefits on our own, it our benefits, everyone of them earned and it is our insurance when one becomes disabled.  Because we earned it. . .

by zaka1 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 07:32:06 PM PST

•  zaka1, I don't mean to worry you, but you (and (1+ / 0-)
        zaka1

anyone who's drawing SSDI) need to read this CBO analysis, done at the behest of Republican Senator Jeff Sessions (Alabama) in July 2012.

I saw Senator Tom Coburn (R-OK) on Washington Journal, C-span about a year of so ago.  He's working on "revamping" the SS Disability Insurance program.  He's a medical physician, you know.

At the very end of his Washington Journal segment, he looked directly into the camera and said, "If you're on disability, I'm coming for you."

I am dead serious.  Almost fell out of my chair (and I'm not on disability!).

Apparently, according to him and to this study, their intention is to completely overhaul the program, paring it way down.

They are thinking about modeling it after VA Disability--which is a "partial to full" disability model.

I hope and pray they don't get this through.  I read enough to know that it would be devastating.

Here's the link to the study/analysis entitled:  "Policy Options For The Social Security Disability Program."

Good luck!

Mollie

"Only he who can see the invisible, can do the impossible." --Frank L. Gaines

"If a dog won’t come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.” -- Woodrow Wilson

by musiccitymollie on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 08:09:20 PM PST

•  Thanks for this, (0+ / 0-)

I breezed through some of the pages from the link.  Dont worry about worrying me, I've been worried ever since I became disabled a few years ago.  Prior to becoming disabled I was a social worker and I have seen how our countries' policies having been changing for the worse over the course of many years.

If Tom Coburn (R-OK) is coming for me because I've become disabled after six brain surgeries what the hell can I do to change that?  And although he may be a medical physician, I doubt he can reverse the brain damage I have suffered any more than he can walk on water.  But, perhaps he can lay his hands on me and cure my hydroenphalus, or perhaps he fix the neuro tube defect I was born with.  Sadly, my neurosurgeons have only been able to stablize me, not cure me, but perhaps Tom Coburn has some magic fairy dust I haven't tried yet.  I've have been worried, but we do live in a cruel world and right now the meanies are having a ball.

by zaka1 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 at 01:29:25 AM PST

•  You're welcome, zaka1. With your social worker (1+ / 0-)
            zaka1

background, I'm sure that much of this analysis will "make sense" to you (not meaning being in agreement, just accustomed to reading regulations and government jargon).

Mr. Mollie receives "very partial" VA Disability, so we will also be affected, but of course, not near as greatly.  (His disability is far more minor than what you are dealing with.)

I do wish you the best.  I did hesitate to post the analysis, because "hope" is very important, and the "news" lately (including yesterday about the Chained CPI) seems to get worse, all the time.)   :-)

I didn't read the analysis cover to cover.  If only they would bolster the DI program by raising payroll taxes on everyone.  They could be doing this for the general Social Security fund, but for some reason, they seem to want to disregard this solution.

My hope (and guess) is that they surely will "grandfather" to a great extent, those beneficiaries already in the program.  I sure hope so.

Mollie

"Only he who can see the invisible, can do the impossible." --Frank L. Gaines

by musiccitymollie on Tue Feb 12, 2013 at 09:17:17 AM PST

•  I think most of this kind of policy (1+ / 0-)
              musiccitymollie

and analysis per usual can only be applied in worded print well, in real life is another story.  LOL, with my social work background I see how far we are falling as a society and just how we are creating expectations that are so difficult for the average person to fulfill, let alone the disabled, or anyone who isn't perfect.  I see great change sweeping the mindset of those in power.  What bothers me the most about this change is you can't punish the poor, elderly, and disabled into being wealthy, young, and undisabled.  Some things in life we have to accept and make the best of a difficult situation.  It seems that certain parts of being human are now considered unacceptable, such as becoming disabled, and that is mind blowing to those of us whom are trying to make the best of a difficult situation.

by zaka1 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 at 11:20:30 AM PST

•  pk, please read the Fiscal Commission proposal (5+ / 0-)

that I mention in my comment above to LL.

This is being done at the behest of Pete Peterson and the One Percenters.  That's what the Bowles-Simpson Commission was all about.

Their recommendations have been passed piecemeal, since their proposal was presented at the end of 2010.

Please, folks, read it.  It's only 66 pages, in plain English.  :-)

Mollie