View Diary: One space after periods, people (852 comments)

•  Wrong. WRONG. WRONG! (6+ / 0-)

"Typographically, it's one WORDspace after a period at the end of the sentence....within a parapgraph..."  ...he said, as he was looking around his office at the corporate annual reports and related high-end publications that he's produced (and for which he's won NY-area ad/typography awards) for companies such as PepsiCo, IBM, Ingersoll-Rand, and many others...granted, it was many years ago. (Markos is 100% correct on this one.)

"I always thought if you worked hard enough and tried hard enough, things would work out. I was wrong." --Katharine Graham

by bobswern on Tue Feb 12, 2013 at 02:53:40 PM PST

•  And, yeah, I learned how to type... (9+ / 0-)

...on a Royal manual typewriter...which is why I have to replace the keyboards on my personal computers once every 18 months!

by bobswern on Tue Feb 12, 2013 at 02:56:54 PM PST

•  I learned to type on an ASR-33 (1+ / 0-)
        T100R

it's the only keyboard with a harder touch than a manual.

•  I was taugh ton a manual typerwriter (0+ / 0-)

by a Belgian priest.  Fr R.  He was a tough typing cookie.

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

by newfie on Tue Feb 12, 2013 at 04:37:52 PM PST

•  I can't believe we gave our Royal away around 1970 (1+ / 0-)
        Donkey Hotey

I cry every time I think that my mom and I gave our Royal manual typewriter to the Good Will or Salvation Army some time around 1970.  (Space, Space).  By then, we had acquired an "electric typewriter," which incidentally weighed about 100 pounds in its metal case, and we thought that we had no use for the Royal.   I weep every time I think of how short-sighted we were not to have kept that typewriter for personal posterity reasons!

Yes, two spaces between sentences rules!  Whenever I debate someone about this issue, it makes me weep to remember that beautiful upright Royal.  I learned how to type on a manual typewriter in high school in the mid-60s--and nothing will make be revert to a single space between sentences--no computer, no Internet, no blog, no Kos, no nothing!

•  Nope, sorry (1+ / 0-)
      Sunspots

It's one em.  Believe it or not, wiki has a great historical article on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/...

•  From YOUR link... (2+ / 0-)
        Sunspots, Over the Edge
        ...The introduction and widespread adoption of non-commandline desktop publishing software on Macintosh, Amiga, and IBM PC computers in the mid-1980s eliminated previous cost-restrictions that had helped fuel the switch to single-spacing. There was no longer any material marginal cost associated with typesetting double-spaces, or even multiple-width spaces. Despite this, resistance to double-spaced sentences started to grow among English-language professional designers and typographers as they became more directly involved with typesetting. Traditional French typists' rules continued to be the uncontested norm in French-speaking countries,[15] but English spacing became increasingly deprecated in English-speaking countries...

by bobswern on Tue Feb 12, 2013 at 04:15:39 PM PST

•  By the way... (2+ / 0-)
          Crider, Over the Edge

...there was a Typographer's Union; in NYC, it was known as "Local 6," and here's a LINK to the Wiki on that. I learned everything I know about typography, today, from actual Local 6 members. And, as far as they're concerned, as of the early 1980's, proper typographic style means it's ONE WORD SPACE after the end of a sentence.

by bobswern on Tue Feb 12, 2013 at 04:20:00 PM PST

•  LOL! With no wordspace... (0+ / 0-)

...between the words, "word" and "space." LOL!

by bobswern on Tue Feb 12, 2013 at 04:21:39 PM PST

•  I was in the ITU in San Francisco (3+ / 0-)
            bobinson, bobswern, Over the Edge

One word space after the sentence. Even in advertising. Especially in books. Too much word space in book causes RIVERS.

"Societies strain harder and harder to sustain the decadent opulence of the ruling class, even as it destroys the foundations of productivity and wealth." — Chris Hedges

by Crider on Tue Feb 12, 2013 at 04:31:21 PM PST

•  Word space has always been closer to an N (5+ / 0-)

But in justified text, it was always a space BAND. On hot metal Linotypes, the space band was shaped like a thin triangle and it would slip down to take up the space between words. Only in lines having a very hard time justifying would a typesetter insert a thin space after a period in an effort to get the damn line to fit.

When they came out with computerized photo composition, all the machines offered an adjustable space band. They also made it easier to widen the space between letter to make lines fit, such as in those 9 pica wide classified ad columns.

But two spaces after the period is solid bullshit. At one time, I worked with the Linotype Company. It was at the dawn of desktop publishing. They introduced a computerized typesetting system where people could use Microsoft Word software on an IBM PC (pre Windows) that had a converter to drive a typesetting machine. Big poster at the Print 85 trade show said "Turn your typist into a typesetter." We hated that system. Only idiots bought that and thankfully I never had to train any 'typists' how to use it — it didn't sell worth a sh*t. But Macintoshes sure did!

by Crider on Tue Feb 12, 2013 at 04:27:00 PM PST

•  LOL! That's why it was named Linotype-Hell. (0+ / 0-)

(I worked with Linotype platforms for about five years, myself.)

by bobswern on Tue Feb 12, 2013 at 06:59:45 PM PST