View Diary: The Evening Blues - 2-13-13 (46 comments)

•  I think I'm going to write something about the (4+ / 0-)

"Federal Worker Class", with the average salary over 80K, over 100K in the DC area, and how a government worker class is tied to fascist states, and how it really becomes THE middle class, etc.
    I was a federal govt Compensation and Organization Analyst for over 25 years, became a national expert in the legal and policy actions on "grading" positions and reviewing organizations for efficiency, etc.
    I can say without a doubt I could save taxpayers at least 30 billion per year by just making sure federal employees are paid what they are really worth by law, and another 30 billion by reducing the overlap, supervisory layers, and unnecessary layers in federal organizations.

"The Global War OF Terror is a justification for U.S. Imperialism. It must be stopped."

by BigAlinWashSt on Wed Feb 13, 2013 at 06:22:53 PM PST

•  you could probably save even more... (5+ / 0-)

if you found a way to end the outsourcing of government work to an army of contractors who do nothing but government work at considerably better pay than government employees due to the desire to "shrink big government," which i would bet costs a lot more money than big government itself.

i'm part of the 99% - america's largest minority

by joe shikspack on Wed Feb 13, 2013 at 06:31:46 PM PST

•  Absolutely. I wouldn't even be able to count (5+ / 0-)

the number of people I knew who would retire then go to work for a company doing the same exact thing only for more money.  Many times they wouldn't even change desks.  I did it for a couple years myself.  But in many cases, they don't necessarily make more money.  I didn't. That was for the Forest Service.  The higher up you go the more it skews and it varies depending on the occupation.  When I started, we had federal govt janitors, which were contracted out eventually.  The contract out employees ended up making less than what they could as a fed with less benefits.   Of course, DOD in particular is ripe for that.

by BigAlinWashSt on Wed Feb 13, 2013 at 06:44:07 PM PST

•  I hope if you write this you will be clear (3+ / 0-)
      BigAlinWashSt, Azazello, ek hornbeck

that you're not anti-union. So much of the anti-govt. worker rhetoric these days is about pitting unionized workers with living wages and decent benefits against the rest of us. And the bad guys have succeed in making the mentality:

"Hey! Why do they make so much? They don't deserve that! No fair!"
      instead of what is should be, which is:
      Hey! We should ALL be making living wages with good benefits for a hard day's work! Let's fight for that!
      And Joe - totally agree about the contracting out. Just with the military alone all the contracting out for simple, basic jobs which the military used to do for itself more efficiently and cheaper (such as food services) is now big-ass cash money contracts for war profiteers who make campaign donations.

If "elitist" just means "not the dumbest motherfucker in the room", I'll be an elitist! - David Rees from "Get Your War On". //"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Denis Diderot

by Oaktown Girl on Wed Feb 13, 2013 at 07:41:43 PM PST

•  Certainly. I'm not coming at it from an anti (2+ / 0-)
        Oaktown Girl, ek hornbeck

anything approach really.  It's technical.  Most federal employees are paid based on salary as dictated by the General Schedule (GS) pay scales.  Occupations are assigned grades, GS-1 thru 18 and paid according to pay tables and locality rates.  My contention, and many others who know the deal, is that much of the workforce is "overgraded" as compared to the legal definitions of the GS-1-18 pay grades.  We call that grade creep.  The average grade of fed employees has crept from around 6.5 to over 11 in the last 30 years, probably more now.  Part of that is due to contracting out lower level jobs, but a big part is the over inflation of duties and grades.  I've seen GS-14's who don't do anything near what a GS-14 should do.
        But good advice relative to making myself clear.  Thanks.

by BigAlinWashSt on Wed Feb 13, 2013 at 08:22:48 PM PST

•  Thanks for reading my comment. (2+ / 0-)
          BigAlinWashSt, ek hornbeck

The way the rhetoric is so twisted anti-worker these days, I just wanted to say I hope you are careful to write it in such a way that it can't be easily abused by people with radically different agendas than what you are trying to achieve.

Granted, almost anything can be twisted toward evil purposes, we just shouldn't make it easy for 'em. Thanks, Big Al.

by Oaktown Girl on Wed Feb 13, 2013 at 08:32:59 PM PST