View Diary: UPDATE: Bigotry on Dkos (380 comments)

•  In today's America, (6+ / 0-)

"illegal alien" has become a pejorative term.
    Doesn't matter how long it has been in use or who coined the term.
    It is used to belittle and marginalized and almost always used to describe those who are suspected of being from the developing world.
    There is no getting around that fact.

Maya Angelou: "Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can't be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest."

by JoanMar on Wed Feb 13, 2013 at 06:46:45 PM PST

•  According To The Most Recent Estimates (3+ / 0-)

* 62% of all illegal aliens are from Mexico
      * 82% of all illegal aliens are from a combination of Mexico, Central America, and South America.

Imposing your semantic edicts upon the world is not going to change these facts, and generally when you tell somebody to shut the fuck up you are in a position to enforce your demand, otherwise you are as we used to say in the military "talkin' loud and sayin' nuthin'".

I won't be coming home tonight, my generation will put it right - Genesis 9:3

by superscalar on Wed Feb 13, 2013 at 06:51:43 PM PST

•  What does that have to do with anything? (5+ / 0-)

I mean, you have to assume this to be true since we share a long border with Central America.   Were you expecting a giant rush of people from Tibet?

Gandhi's Seven Sins: Wealth without work; Pleasure without conscience; Knowledge without character; Commerce without morality; Science without humanity; Worship without sacrifice; Politics without principle

by Chris Reeves on Wed Feb 13, 2013 at 06:54:13 PM PST

•  We Also Have A Long Border With Canada (1+ / 0-)
          Eyesbright

Yet 62% of all illegal immigrants are not from Canada.

I won't be coming home tonight, my generation will put it right - Genesis 9:3

by superscalar on Wed Feb 13, 2013 at 06:56:02 PM PST

•  Ok, so let me see if I understand (5+ / 0-)

This would be different if more Canadians bolted from Manitoba and just parked their behinds at a Minnesota Stars game and refused to leave.

There are a few problems with this as well.

Canada's national population is 34M
            Mexico's national population is 113M

I'm not even sure why this debate over anything having to do with "they are all from central america" is helping you at all, because it tends to come off as more anti-hispanic then helping your argument in any real way.

by Chris Reeves on Wed Feb 13, 2013 at 06:59:07 PM PST

•  Hey Now! (2+ / 0-)
              tmservo433, JoanMar

Minnesota Wild.  Dallas Stars.

:-)

Political compass: -8.75 / -4.72

by Mark Mywurtz on Wed Feb 13, 2013 at 07:02:56 PM PST

•  Damnit that's what Strikes get you (2+ / 0-)
                JoanMar, justiceputnam

Let's just say the two played and called it good.   Why the heck am I thinking Minneapolis North Stars???

Jeez, OK shows how much attention I pay to Hockey lately ;)

by Chris Reeves on Wed Feb 13, 2013 at 07:04:48 PM PST

•  Your Statement Justifies Illegal Immigration (1+ / 0-)
              Eyesbright

From the south because "we share a long border with Central America" i.e. with the south. My point is, we have a long border with the north too.

It's not a debate, the facts are what they are, there is no 'argument'.

I won't be coming home tonight, my generation will put it right - Genesis 9:3

by superscalar on Wed Feb 13, 2013 at 07:03:19 PM PST

•  Where does justify ever come into this? (3+ / 0-)

Math is math.

Longer transactional borders will equal more opportunities for immigration in comparison to oceanic nations.  That's a fact.  You through out a statistic saying most of our immigrants came from Mexico and Central America.   I observed that as a matter of math,  this would be more likely to happen then say, independent boat people from Cuba or the British Virgin Islands.

The contrary point that it doesn't happen from Canada as much is also not a valid viewpoint, as you combined Mexico and Central America, which combined is more then 250M in population VS Canada's 34M.

Math isn't about justification, it's about statistical possibilities.

by Chris Reeves on Wed Feb 13, 2013 at 07:14:25 PM PST

•  So, let's talk about the European Undocumented. (4+ / 0-)

or does that make you uncomfortable?

"My case is alter'd, I must work for my living." Moll Cut-Purse, The Roaring Girl - 1612, England's First Actress

by theRoaringGirl on Wed Feb 13, 2013 at 07:02:31 PM PST

•  Why would they come here. (2+ / 0-)
            tmservo433, justiceputnam

It's much better there in so many ways. If it wasn't for the sucky weather I would have moved there years ago.

•  I don't really know what's your point. (5+ / 0-)

Your numbers just bear out my point.
        The reason why some have become so fond of the term (that you so helpfully used) is precisely because "they" are from Mexico, the Caribbean, Africa.
        It has become a dehumanizing term. Those others, them, they, illegal, alien.
        I haven't looked up the stats but I do know that when the Canadian border was as porous as swiss cheese (and it may still be), nobody had a problem.

by JoanMar on Wed Feb 13, 2013 at 06:58:42 PM PST

•  Lordy, When Could It Not Have Been Pejorative? nt (5+ / 0-)

by Gooserock on Wed Feb 13, 2013 at 06:53:06 PM PST