View Diary: Fox News ridicules Desiline Victor, the 102 year old who stood in line to vote (198 comments)

•  This is... (12+ / 0-)

..why I get pissed off everytime I see a new Murdockgate diary here celebrating all the new arrests:

None of Murdock's lowlife assholes in his New York studio are even getting questioned, much less arrested.

And if there are people who deserve to be frog-marched into Avenue of the Americas for malfeasance of the highest order,  it's the vile pieces of shit quoted in this dairy.

I'm worse at what I do best/ And for this gift I feel blessed. - Kurt Cobain

by wyvern on Thu Feb 14, 2013 at 08:10:00 AM PST

•  Sorry Murdoch Diaries cover British law and US law (10+ / 0-)

while IANAL, I have spent time contributing to the Murdoch diaries. I am sorry we have pissed you off.

IMHO no us law not been broken by the actions reported in this diary.
      However, you can still take action against your Fox station

Let me explain
      1. about the scope of the Murdoch diaries
      2. Why the lowlifes cannot be arrested
      3. Why you can still  do something.

1. The Murdoch Investigators (MI)  dairies follow the arrests and prosecutions growing out of a specific infractions of British law being investigate by Scotland yard growing out of Hackgate , beginning 7/2011.  [more weedy stuff below]*

2. What you believe are acts of malfeasance IMHO are speech acts, which are covered by the First Amendment. Moreover, Fox News has successfully argued in court that its shows are entertainment. So MI who share your disgust with Fox News cannot help you here. Ms. Victor, as she is not a public person, might consider civil action. However, you will note that she has not been slandered....only that she did not suffer and there is not worthy of sympathy

3. If you believe you observed malfeasance of the highest order in this Fox broadcast, you can complain to the FCC,. Your Fox affiliate station is a network and governed by decency rules imposed by the FCC and could loose its license.

*The US:  MI Diarists and commenters have noted that the SEC, FBI and DOJ's have opened investigations based on evidence received from Scotland Yard.  They have explained that one likely area for US legal action against News Corp for these crimes is the FCPA, but that this will likely only come after the termination of the UK criminal cases and will take the form of deals with News Corp and perhaps criminal charges for NC execs with oversight over UK activities.

For Fox News to be prosecuted, it would have had to hacked phones in the US--which would be a separate unrelated US criminal prosecution.

"Are you bluish? You don't look bluish," attributed to poet Roger Joseph McGough, for the Beatles' Yellow Submarine (1968).

by BlueStateRedhead on Thu Feb 14, 2013 at 10:08:38 AM PST

•  I have no... (0+ / 0-)

..idea who you are or what you have contributed to Murdock diaries.

But I do consider it an insult that you feel compelled to offer me a Harvard lecture on the errors of my comment.

I don't give a crap until the Fox News studio in New York City is invaded by FBI agents & Homeland Security officials whose sole intent is to confiscate computer hard drives & issue subpoenas.

Until that happens, vile fuckers loyal to Murdock will be talking shit about 102 old women without fear of  repercussions.

This may come as a shock to you, but a thousand more British arrests will not affect that one iota.

I'm worse at what I do best/ And for this gift I feel blessed. - Kurt Cobain

by wyvern on Thu Feb 14, 2013 at 11:32:28 AM PST

•  maybe not (2+ / 0-)
          BlueStateRedhead, Brit

but the 30,000 documents passed over from the Met to the FBI might.

The process is taking time, all the evidence won't be  supplied  till the proper point in the UK process, so that UK cases don't collapse.

People may want the DOJ to kick their doors in tomorrow, but everything will have to be lined up correctly. patience is the key

Interviewer: What do you believe is behind this recent increase in terrorist bombings? Helpmann: Bad sportsmanship

by ceebs on Thu Feb 14, 2013 at 11:58:57 AM PST

•  Maybe not what..1k more uk arrests will not affect (0+ / 0-)

..is what I think ceebs mean...but the  30k documents and time will make the difference.

Let me make this clear. I hate Fox as much as you do. I just love the bill of rights and like it or lump it, it protect them as it protects the equally hateful Westboro Baptist church.

You see I thought I was just providing the data that makes Dkos a reality based community....had no intent of giving a Harvard Lecture....as I do not have the credentials for giving one in law...as I said...

We can always call in Adam B. to adjudicate on the first amendment and Fox, who while not a prof. himself did study with one who studied at Harvard Law., Prof. B.H. Obama. Or Kos, who studied with other equally eminent law professor across the river named Charles.

by BlueStateRedhead on Thu Feb 14, 2013 at 03:13:30 PM PST

•  It's UK's Murdoch. Murdock = ass from Indiana (0+ / 0-)

That's just a clarification, as the vile fuckers of Fox back both of them.

by BlueStateRedhead on Thu Feb 14, 2013 at 05:11:17 PM PST

•  I appreciate BSR's explanation [and the hackgate (0+ / 0-)

diaries]. no need to be sharp with someone trying to be helpful

•  Good explanations, but I take issue with your (2+ / 0-)
        BlueStateRedhead, Brit

use of the words "separate" and "unrelated".  There would almost definitely be leads developed from the British investigations that would be used to start or strengthen investigations here in the US.

Whether our DOJ treats these as actual crimes or as politics as usual might depend upon whether it's a public figure who's been hacked.  If it's a politician, I don't have confidence that the DOJ might risk being slammed for pursuing a political witchhunt agenda, despite the fact that laws would appear to be broken.  However, if it's an actor or sports figure, the outcry might be too loud for even the DOJ to sweep under the rug.