View Diary: Anti-electric car NYT reviewer LIES about Tesla Model S performance. (Update x2) (567 comments)

•  I saw one on the street, (12+ / 0-)

presumably out for a test drive from the dealership in DC near Metro Center.  Looked good.  If I had unlimited sums of money, I'd buy the roadster.

Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult.

by Loge on Thu Feb 14, 2013 at 01:38:34 PM PST

•  I'd do it even without limited sums - if I lived (6+ / 0-)

where an totally electric car would work.  Unfortunately, nearly all my miles are highway, there are NO electric chargers anywhere and won't be any to come soon, and our electric rates are double those of most.  I've been drooling over the Tesla since they first began selling the first models, but I doubt I'll be able to get one for quite awhile, even if I were to hit it rich.

by gustynpip on Thu Feb 14, 2013 at 01:54:09 PM PST

•  Damn, (3+ / 0-)
        yet another liberal, ColoTim, JesseCW

even the lease on the roadster runs to about a house payment.  The model S will apparently start leasing in 2013.  It's less expensive at the 40kw range, but it's still about the price of a Lexus or Mercedes.

Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult.

by Loge on Thu Feb 14, 2013 at 02:04:14 PM PST

•  Then again, consider your potential savings. (0+ / 0-)

First, there's a $7500 tax credit, then you Don't Have To Buy Any Gas.  For me, if I wasn't with my stupid electric company that charges double everyone else, it would  save me about $300 a month.   I'm not saying it wouldn't still be expensive.  Then again, installing installation and new windows in  an old home is expensive, too.  And the 40Kw is, at best, the price of the cheapest Mercedes - and that's before the tax credit.

by gustynpip on Thu Feb 14, 2013 at 02:09:17 PM PST

•  That would be installing insulation. n/t (2+ / 0-)
            craiger, Just Bob

by gustynpip on Thu Feb 14, 2013 at 02:10:47 PM PST

•  AMT? (2+ / 0-)
            Alice in Florida, Cobbler

Last time I looked at a tax credit on green vehicles, it was something that could get zeroed out for taxpayers subject to AMT. So for the six-figure salary that can afford the car, you get a big tax credit offset exactly by a big bump in your AMT assessment. IRS: Thanks for playing.

"They let 'em vote, smoke, and drive -- even put 'em in pants! So what do you get? A -- a Democrat for President!" ~ Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

by craiger on Thu Feb 14, 2013 at 04:35:12 PM PST

•  That's before you get into delivery delays, (0+ / 0-)

and the price going up on people while they were sitting on the waiting list.

Musk is very Tucker, in both good and bad ways.

income gains to the top 1% from 2009 to 2011 were 121% of all income increases. How did that happen? Incomes to the bottom 99% fell by 0.4%

by JesseCW on Thu Feb 14, 2013 at 03:42:25 PM PST

•  Same here (2+ / 0-)
        gustynpip, Mathazar

I almost bought a Chevy Volt last fall, but between the lack of charging stations and the fact that I live in an apartment with streetside parking and no reasonable way to get the car plugged in, had to go a more traditional route.

I really want electric cars to become more widespread, but they can only become as common as their required infrastructure.

"There is one rule for the industrialist and that is: Make the best quality of goods possible at the lowest cost possible, paying the highest wages possible." -Henry Ford

by sixeight120bpm on Thu Feb 14, 2013 at 06:07:04 PM PST

•  Blocked from my favorite Charger by a Model-S (16+ / 0-)

I drive a Volt and I was in DC the other week and went to charge at my favorite charger at M St & 20th.   Both were taken, one by a Leaf, the other by a Model-S.

It really is a thing of beauty.   I first saw one at Plugin America Day on the Washington Mall.   There were mostly Volts (including mine) and Leafs.   There was a Model-S and also a Fisker.

The owner's son had driven the Model-S back from California.   It took a while due to its limited range.   They basically took advantage of RV parks to charge.

•  Blocked? (1+ / 0-)
        sixeight120bpm

You can drive on gas.  The S and the Leaf cannot.  Think about that, Volt owners, should you park in a charger space way longer than needed.

Signed,
        Leaf owner

•  I prefer never to use gas (0+ / 0-)

I managed to go a whole year without using any gas and driving just shy of 20,000 miles.

I treat my Volt like a pure electric.   I know I can use gas, I just prefer not to.

The nice thing about downtown DC is that a lot of garages have a L2 charger, so I was easily able to find another garage so I could charge.

•  I like that the Volt, unlike the plug in Prius (0+ / 0-)

Can be a pure EV even at freeway speeds.  But do consider that parking too long can strand a pure EV that doesn't have a gas backup.  It's the treating-a-charging-space-as-an-all-day-parking-space Volts we're particularly miffed at.

Then again, that doesn't compare to the jerk (in a Leaf with a vanity plate, yet) who parked in the LAX charging station space for more than a month because parking was free for EVs there.  When he returned from his long trip abroad he found everyone in the local EV groups knew exactly who he was and had shared pictures of him and his vehicle pulled from Facebook. :)

Disclaimer: I'm merely reporting this, living in Northern California and all.

•  Totally agree with you (0+ / 0-)

There is an etiquette that needs to be followed.   In Northern VA where I live, it is rare that I find chargers in use.   The bigger problem is when they are ICEd by non-EVs.

I do find the Plugin Prius to be a joke as far as EV is concerned.   With a range of 12-14 miles it does not really provide that much range.

I have gone as far as 56 miles on a charge last summer.   I would routinely hit 50 miles on a charge when it was warm.   Now that it is colder, I can go around 40 on a full charge.   Good enough for me to use no gas for the last 20,000 miles though!   I figure I have saved $3,750 in the last 14 months of driving.

•  I really, really, want the Cadillac ELR. (2+ / 0-)
        dimpled chad, Loge

It's the Cadillac version of the Volt. But I'd settle for a Volt. :)

Regulated capital serves the people, unregulated capital serves itself.

by Alumbrados on Thu Feb 14, 2013 at 05:11:34 PM PST

•  I wanted to see it at the DC auto show (0+ / 0-)

However, they pulled the ELR and the Spark EV before it was opened to the public.   I was not happy about that.

The are calling the ELR the Volt 1.5.   It will be interesting to see what the actual range and battery capacity of the ELR is.

•  If I had (2+ / 0-)
      JesseCW, sixeight120bpm

a house with a driveway, I'd get a plug-in hybrid.  But it just isn't practical where I live, and where I often have to park a block or two away from where I live, on the street.

I am not religious, and did NOT say I enjoyed sects.

by trumpeter on Thu Feb 14, 2013 at 02:39:37 PM PST