View Diary: Bloomberg: No night in jail for those caught with marijuana (56 comments)

•  I have never had 2 minute's desire to go to NYC (10+ / 0-)

But for a city with as many pot smokers, this easing of the law is 50 years overdue.

I can't wait until weed is totally legal and Americans atart to ask "Why was this so illegal? Why did we blow a trillion dollars suppressing it and arresting people?

And then they will fully realize what a full-blown mega-scam it had been.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

by xxdr zombiexx on Fri Feb 15, 2013 at 05:33:23 AM PST

•  I liked it when I was there (2+ / 0-)
      gzodik, UncleCharlie

but I didn't want to live there

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Fri Feb 15, 2013 at 05:52:48 AM PST

•  Wasn't there something about hemp threatening (14+ / 0-)

the profits of some earlier robber baron types?  Either the cotton/flax folks or the paper products ones?  That the illegalization was to prevent hemp farmers from horning in on the action?  I'd swear I'd read that somewhere as one of the reasons for the original prohibition being pushed.

•  Lovely (0+ / 0-)

Now my idiot neighbor can blow all the pot smoke he wants into my apartment without any consequences at all.

•  You could fart more. (8+ / 0-)

I do sorta doubt he is trying to share with you; probably a physics issue.

And you'd be happier with tobacco smoke?

How about booze and a handgun?

by xxdr zombiexx on Fri Feb 15, 2013 at 06:12:19 AM PST

•  It's going to be a big factor. (1+ / 0-)
        Subterranean

MJ is "in your face". If the wind is just "right" you know it when someone lights up fifty yards away. Or more.

GOP: Bankers, billionaires, suckers, and dupes.

by gzodik on Fri Feb 15, 2013 at 06:34:28 AM PST

•  idiot? (1+ / 0-)
        xxdr zombiexx

Because he smokes pot? Good thing he isn't black or jewish or your prejudices would seem ,you know, wrong. My people demand full rights not the kind of look down at us over the rim of your reading glasses that the church lady here expresses.

•  Oh, c'mon... (0+ / 0-)

Nobody has the "right" to blow smoke into anybody else's space. If this is in fact happening, and I see no reason to assume that it's not, then it's not unreasonable to be upset.

An expectation of courtesy is not oppression.

I say that as a thirty year smoker.

•  That's one of the consequences of living (1+ / 0-)
            jabney

in close proximity to other people, like in an apartment building. Things they do in the privacy of THEIR space, can intrude into YOUR space. Noise, smells... something that you have to deal with if you're living on top of people. If a person really can't tolerate certain things from their neighbors, they can decide to move, they can try to come to an arrangement with a problem neighbor,  they can try to change the rules in their building and get the offending person kicked out, or they can go really activist and try to get the offending behavior made a criminal offense.

•  Yes. Idiot. (0+ / 0-)

My original comment was meant as wry humor.  I have no desire to see people who smoke the occasional joint (or more than slightly occasional) treated like murderers.

My neighbor smoke huge amounts of weed.  He opens his window to air out his place and it gets sucked back into mine via the HVAC system.  God forbid, if i want to leave my window open.  Sometimes it's so thick, it comes through the electrical outlets in the wall we share.  If it were just small recreational amounts, I would probably never know or care.

Angry?  Have you ever walked into your one year old daughter's room at 1 AM and noticed the air is thick with pot smoke?

Okay.  I maybe I should just break my lease and move.  How do I know my next apartment won't be next to a stoner?  They don't tell you about possible stoners next door when you view an apartment.

Moving is expensive and complex.  More so in NYC.

Forgive me if I am not wild about legalization.

•  Sounds like more of building problem (0+ / 0-)

I've had apartment neighbors who were hard-core potheads and once I installed a rubber strip at the bottom of my door, I never smelled a thing.

If it's coming through the electrical outlets, you can buy insulator pads that go under the outer plate to seal them up.  Not much you can do about the HVAC though.

"When I was an alien, cultures weren't opinions" ~ Kurt Cobain, Territorial Pissings

by Subterranean on Fri Feb 15, 2013 at 09:24:21 AM PST

•  Already done (0+ / 0-)

...did the outlet pads and weatherstripped the door.  It helps.   Can't do anything about the window or HVAC.

Building manager is reluctant to do anything other than talk to them, which he has done.

Unfortunately many smokers...whether its pot, tobacco, or both, just don't care about anyone else.

•  Forgive me if I am not losing sleep (0+ / 0-)

over your concern that 'a stoner' might live next to you.

Im a stoner, and If I lived next to you, pot smoke isn't what would be bothering you.

the loud music, the guitar playing, the foot stomping (I do a couple willie nelson tunes about smoking weed)

Then, my wife is Asian and celebrate Chinese NEw Year....LOUDLY. For days.

Anti-weed people always seem.......petty and uninformed.

And whiny.

by xxdr zombiexx on Fri Feb 15, 2013 at 10:02:30 AM PST

•  are people in nyc that inept (0+ / 0-)

at communicating and compromising with their neighbors that they need the criminal courts (paid for by tax payers) to solve this sort of thing? c'mon.

it's a serious waste of money for the rest of us to pay to arrest your neighbor, bring them to court, put them in jail, etc. just because you two can't figure out how to prevent smoke from going in and out of airducts.