View Diary: Abbreviated pundit roundup: This is why we need real filibuster reform (126 comments)

•  RichM, so is that why the Rethugs are holding up (17+ / 0-)

the nomination?

Or is it because there's a black man in the White House?

I despise Rethugs.  May hard and knobbly coconuts descend on their heads as they nap beneath palm trees at noon.  May their golf balls explode as they try to play at country clubs.  May their liquor make them hurl across the room.  May....oh, well, you get the idea.

"Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich."--Napoleon

by Diana in NoVa on Fri Feb 15, 2013 at 04:48:48 AM PST

•  That's the excuse McCain gave on teevee... (25+ / 0-)

If we lived in a functioning democracy, people would be in the streets shouting for this man's removal.  I don't ever want to hear the words 'McCain' and 'honorable' in the same sentence.

'Guns don't kill people, video games do - paraphrased from Lamar Alexander (Sen-R-TN)'

by RichM on Fri Feb 15, 2013 at 04:56:54 AM PST

•  Seriously? (1+ / 0-)
        coloradocomet

Do you have any clue what representative Democracy is?

McCain was elected by his constituents.
        And has been.
        Over and over and over again.

He probably represents them reasonably well.

And, honestly, I prefer that to the kind of mob rule you lust for.

Even if I don't like all (oh -- let's be honest here, I can't think of very many at all that I like) the players.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Fri Feb 15, 2013 at 05:21:40 AM PST

•  Seriously... (8+ / 0-)

Our 'representative democracy' is broken.

by RichM on Fri Feb 15, 2013 at 05:26:04 AM PST

•  Democracy? (4+ / 0-)

we don't have a democracy.  we have a republic; and the Senate is the shining example.  Wyoming has 2 Senators; California has 2 Senators.
            We were supposed to bring democracy to iraq but we don't have it at home.

•  The Senate is not a representative body. (3+ / 0-)
              Amber6541, bear83, TerryDarc

That's what the House is for. Sheesh.

“We are not a nation that says ‘don’t ask, don’t tell.’ We are a nation that says ‘out of many, we are one.’” -Barack Obama

by skohayes on Fri Feb 15, 2013 at 06:27:03 AM PST

•  It Takes Two Houses To Tango (0+ / 0-)

The senate, the filibuster, gerrymandered congressional districts, and presidential veto are all counter-democratic with a small d.

Time is an enormous, long river, and I’m standing in it, just as you’re standing in it. My elders are the tributaries, and everything they thought and every struggle they went through & everything they gave their lives to flows down to me-Utah Phillips

by TerryDarc on Fri Feb 15, 2013 at 11:29:21 AM PST

•  How broken is it? (0+ / 0-)

Compared to rule by street mobs, I'll take what we've got.

I suspect that when you say broken, what you mean is that people who don't agree with you get to vote, and you can't stand the thought.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Fri Feb 15, 2013 at 06:21:35 AM PST

•  No, the trouble is that (1+ / 0-)
              Aythem

if the country got to vote (as a whole on every issue (and I know that would be impossibly cumbersome), the vote would come out the way I wanted it about 80% of the time. As it is, 2 or 3 dozen idiots in the House and 20 or so idiots in the Senate get to have their way and thwart the will of the people. The Republican agenda is being supported by people who don't even have any idea what it IS. And, it is being allowed by arcane rules that assumed that reasonable people could disagree on the facts. The rules never were meant to protect the rights of those who ignore facts, ignore knowledge, and do not care about the actual argument.
              The proof of my position is in Rubio's speech the other (gulp) night. He did not say a SINGLE THING that was demonstrably true. Not one. All of the Republicans' priorities are based on premises that are simply factually WRONG.

Republicans want smaller gov't for the same reason crooks want fewer cops. - James Carville

by wyckoff on Fri Feb 15, 2013 at 08:01:05 AM PST

•  Everybody believes that. (0+ / 0-)

Best comment I heard was from somebody in Manhattan after the 2000 elections:

"How could this happen? I don't know anybody who voted for Bush."

There are real differences between us. Democracy, when it works -- and, honestly, I have to agree that it's not working very well right now -- is, more than anything, about getting people to figure out how to live together and get things done in spite of those differences.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Fri Feb 15, 2013 at 08:16:32 AM PST

•  We have cousins in AZ... (0+ / 0-)

and when asked about McGrouchy, they show their total distaste and say that it's time for him to go...but they're afraid of what they might get if he does...

•  Sheriff Arpaio gets re-elected too (0+ / 0-)

The only constituents he "represents reasonably well" are the ones who are white and bigoted. That's not representative democracy.

•  Of course it is. (0+ / 0-)

It's one reason why, at the Federal level, the country's founders created a distinctly non-democratic branch co-equal to the Executive and the Legislative.

James Madison's term (and others, I'm sure) was "Tyranny of the Majority", a recognition that majority rule confers legitimacy, but it doesn't make right.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Fri Feb 15, 2013 at 10:35:51 AM PST

•  Trying to gauge the underlying (1+ / 0-)
      Farlfoto

source for the Repubes self-destructiveness, achieved through twisted, sadistic, anti-American public policy posture and its impact on an apparently masochistic supporting electorate's continual voting against its own interest gives me headaches. I keep googling psychological disorders and syndromes trying to get a sense of from what compartment in the mental torture chamber these people operate. Mix one part racism, one part sexism, homophobia, religious intolerance and end-times fantasies, desire for world to end in your lifetime because it can't possibly go on without me...and come up with a couple of possibilities. Most of the images I get for the biggest blowhards among them start with a playground, someone holding a fist to another's face and end with the bullied never getting over it. We are all paying interest on what began as extorted lunch money or a kid's getting mocked because he resembled a tortoise or something.

I discover myself on the verge of a usual mistake. ― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself

by dannyboy1 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 at 05:52:58 AM PST

•  John McCain can't find a reasonable (3+ / 0-)
      Ishmaelbychoice, Farlfoto, Shotput8

explanation for why he's participating in this filibuster.

"It's because we still have unanswered questions about Benghazi - no, wait, it's because he's made statements against Israel - no, wait, it's because he wants to talk to Iran instead of bombing them - no, wait, it's because he said the surge in Iraq was a mistake...."

McCain is whipsawed between wanting to be stateman-like  and needing to be consequential.  So he ends up just being an embarrassment.

"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican." - H. L. Mencken

by SueDe on Fri Feb 15, 2013 at 07:08:41 AM PST