View Diary: NJ-Sen: Frank Lautenberg (D) Exits With A Joke (17 comments)

•  Otoh, if Menendez resigns... (2+ / 0-)
    HappyinNM, MRA NY

then there's room for both Booker and Pallone.

•  Ohhhhhh (1+ / 0-)
      HappyinNM

Two fresh faces in the democratic party. I WOULD LOVE IT!

"I don't want a line in the Sand lines can be moved. They can be blown away. I want a six foot trench carved into granite."

by theone718 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 at 08:29:18 AM PST

•  Why would he? (2+ / 0-)
      chuckvw, thomask
      A team of FBI agents has been conducting interviews in recent weeks in the Dominican Republic and the United States, looking into allegations that Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.) patronized prostitutes in the Caribbean nation, but has found no evidence to support the claim, according to two people familiar with the investigation.
      •  I think it's the gifts that are at issue (0+ / 0-)

The sex angle was just media fodder.

•  The sex angle (0+ / 0-)

was to disgust the public and poison opinion against him, since they weren't just talking about Dominican prostitutes, but posibly underage Dominican prostitutes.  The online version of the NYT has the Menendez story on its front page and I got the impression the reporter was just loving twisting in the knife.  I've never been thrilled with Menendez, but these allegations? Consider the source.  A GOP organization and the person heading it basically admitted in the story that he was hoping to "put a Democrat in jail" --- damn actual guilt or innocence. And if Menendez resigns? We must ask "cui bono" .. who benefits?

I think it may be time for the NJ legilsature to change the law regarding the appointment of Senators in event of a vacancy to what it is in some other states (includding HI and WY), namely that the Governor MUST appoint a person belonging to the same party as the departing/departed senator from a list of three given by the party leadsership.  I think it would prevent these sort of witch hunts by either party if they were deprived of having any skin in the game.

"Valerie, why am I getting all these emails calling me a classless boor?"

by TLS66 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 at 05:12:33 PM PST

•  Bob voted to not authorize Froce in Iraq (0+ / 0-)

FDR 9-23-33, "If we cannot do this one way, we will do it another way. But do it we will.

by Roger Fox on Sat Feb 16, 2013 at 05:57:53 PM PST

•  What does that have to do with this? (0+ / 0-)

Good policies or not, a bad scandal can force him to resign.

Republicans are far more socialist than Democrats. Just because they want to redistribute the wealth upwards does not make it any better.

by MrAnon on Sat Feb 16, 2013 at 06:13:04 PM PST

•  Other commenter said this (0+ / 0-)
                I've never been thrilled with Menendez
                In case you missed it.

Dems in North Jersey dont talk like that, 22 years in the state....maybe they talk shit about Menendez in south Jersey, but then thats where most of the Republicans live.

by Roger Fox on Sat Feb 16, 2013 at 06:37:02 PM PST

•  Well, rest assured (0+ / 0-)

I'm not from South Jersey and I'm not a Republican.  If anything, I believe the GOP charges about Menendez (especially the sex ones) are just so much bullshit.

"Valerie, why am I getting all these emails calling me a classless boor?"

by TLS66 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 at 08:10:15 PM PST

• Science (27)
  • Media (26)
  • Barack Obama (23)
  • Law (23)
  • Labor (21)
  • Spam (21)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (19)
  • International (17)
  • Education (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site