View Diary: Limbaugh Is Losing! With Each Hateful Word, More Sponsors Leave. (300 Left Last Month) Total: 2,500+ (205 comments)

•  the market for RW radio is completely distorted (4+ / 0-)

RW blowhards' popularity never reflected 'market' forces in any real way-

if that was so then 95% of americans who listen to political talk radio prefer to hear ignorant sycophants lie to them.

many of the progressive talkers are well informed, entertaining, and do their own research- the only reason the RW radio blowhards are so 'successful' is that it is a monopoly- a well protected and subsidized monopoly (largely ignored by the left) that successfully sells war, deregulation, tax breaks for billionaires, supreme court flunkies, progressive obstruction, and global warming denial.

This is a list of 76 universities for Rush Limbaugh that endorse global warming denial, racism, sexism, and GOP lies by broadcasting sports on over 170 Limbaugh radio stations.

by certainot on Sun Feb 17, 2013 at 07:22:50 AM PST

•  Thanks for your comment (2+ / 0-)
      bowtieguru, piniella

But consider this. The listening habits of conservatives and liberals are probably not being taken into account when considering the viability of left-leaning talk radio.

From my observation over the last twenty-five years, I'd say that conservatives simply want to have their own thoughts validated by being told what they already believe to be true. This is why a Limbaugh or a Hannity works better than a Beck or Alex Jones. The former two are nothing if not mainstream when it comes to right wing ideology. They probably reflect what the majority of conservatives already adhere to. On the other hand, the latter two are nothing if not fringe. They are evangelists who are trying to get their listeners to accept one theory after another no matter how out there. The problem is that most people are not conspiracy nuts. Most people are not ready to believe the outlandish. It's a harder sell. The one thing that conservative listeners do have in common is that they don't mind being talked at. They don't need a discussion or argument and have no problem passively listening.

This is not true of liberals and why I think something like Air America failed to gain a real audience. Look at Daily Kos and other lefty blogs where the engine driving its popularity is discussion. Without comments and the desire of people to make them, sites like this would be dead. By their very nature, liberals love to discuss and argue. They love to learn new things through discussion. Although talk radio does feature listener phone calls, it is mostly a medium for a one-way discussion. I think the failing is that liberals don't want to be talked at but want to engage in a conversation -- radio is not geared towards that but the Internet is.

This head movie makes my eyes rain.

by The Lone Apple on Sun Feb 17, 2013 at 09:12:19 AM PST

•  Air america was basically set up and was going (1+ / 0-)
        bowtieguru

against a well established monopoly. there's a documentary suggesting sabotage. there was a story about one of the financiers as a fugitive hiding out in the phillipines or something, and one of the RWbillionaire  anschutz family being involved (just stuff i heard- probably randi rhodes).

i agree that the left are less likely to listen to talk radio but some the progressive talkers are very competitive and even beat the main RW talkers on an even playing field.

the fact is much of that audience is captive- in most of the US there are no free alternatives for political talk while driving or working. most vehicles don't have free streaming and won't have anytime soon.

people all over the country trying to get a little politics and current events before going home to fight the family for the remote control generally have no alternatives. and if they did i'll bet 95% wouldn't go with the guys who have never been right about anything except that some liberals are idiots.

by certainot on Sun Feb 17, 2013 at 09:49:50 AM PST

•  Air America Had Other Problems Too (2+ / 0-)
          certainot, Bill W

On the programming side. From the beginning it seemed as if the network was set up to give a certain person's comedian and writer friends a job. Rather than focus on information, they decided to go with the yucks in all the important dayparts. If it was trying to be the Daily Show of the radio world then it failed at that because the comedy just wasn't that funny on a regular basis. Plus, a show where you cram together Rachel Maddow, Lizz Winstead and Chuck D is not going to sound cohesive.

I understand the finances of Air America weren't good but the on-air product just sounded too disjointed.

This head movie makes my eyes rain.

by The Lone Apple on Sun Feb 17, 2013 at 11:24:22 AM PST

•  Unfiltered (1+ / 0-)
            The Lone Apple
            I'm laughing here, because that was my favorite Air America show.  Now that I think about it, perhaps it wasn't all that cohesive, but it had a certain appeal. Maybe it's the way my mind works.

As for the emphasis on comedy, I'm not sure they were wrong to go there.  Consider that the most popular political tv shows among folks here seem to be Stewart, Colbert, Maddow and Olbermann.  The first two being mostly comedy, and the latter two often employing comedic bits among more serious material.

•  Granted but... (1+ / 0-)
              Bill W

Stewart is funny and Colbert is the kind of comic genius that  is very rare. Olbermann can be funny in an extremely snarky way but the Edward R. Murrow act makes me roll my eyes on occasion. I love Rachel Maddow because she's smart and can explain difficult concepts in a way that makes them understandable. Sadly, she's not funny.

I know that comedy is very subjective. Some people find Adam Sandler, Mike Myers and Jim Carrey funny even if I don't quite understand what is funny about them. I find Rachel Maddow's "jokes" to be nothing if not cringeworthy only because her delivery screams, "I'm making a joke". Then she laughs at her own joke and I cringe even more. It reminds me of NPR's Brian Lehrer. He will stop an interview dead in its tracks so that he can get his line out whether it's appropriate or not. I'm all for quips but not when I have to be stopped in my tracks before being hit on the head by them.

Like I said, subjective. However, to me Rachel Maddow is one of those people who is not funny yet thinks they are and you can never convince them otherwise.

This head movie makes my eyes rain.

by The Lone Apple on Sun Feb 17, 2013 at 01:42:27 PM PST

•  I agree with this too (1+ / 0-)
            The Lone Apple

Even though I think the station failed because it did not have the 1%/corporate/think tank welfare support that props up Limbaugh/Beck/Levin, Al Franken was a terrible bore on air and some of his friends were too.

•  look at prog radio now (1+ / 0-)
            The Lone Apple

air am would have evolved and worked, i suspect

the stephanie miller show is sometimes hilarious and mixes that with interviews with representatives and senators. the range goes  to mike malloy, who runs from hilarious to wild and fierce, to the professorial hartmann and ed schultz and randi rhodes in between. and others of course. some of them were around then but i imagine if there was no RW  monopoly and there would be a lot of people who listen to talk radio while working and driving who would be checking them out as alternatives to team limbaugh. and if just 20% was progressive   the righties wouldn't have a chance and we'd be a lot farther along by now on a lot of issues. as a matter of fact i think they have to have that 95-5 or 10-1 protected dominance or they know they're done. and that's a function of their aggressiveness and ownership dominance coupled with the ignore-ance of the left re radio.

by certainot on Sun Feb 17, 2013 at 03:12:50 PM PST

•  that's right--Corporate/think tank/1% welfare (1+ / 0-)
          certainot

is what props up Limbaugh, Beck, Levin.