View Diary: Scientific American Gives Details on the Russian Meteor (277 comments)

•  Note to Kossacks re: .pdf files (8+ / 0-)

Please be careful when posting  and opening .pdf files.  There was a new 0 day exploit announced yesterday.  It doesn't look like there is a patch out yet, so make sure your anti-virus definitions are up to date!  And be very careful before posting .pdf's on the site, especially from sites like dropbox.

I haven't been here long enough to be considered a Kossack, does that mean that I'm just a sack?

by Hey338Too on Sat Feb 16, 2013 at 04:14:58 PM PST

•  ohh dammit, Adobe says 'bad site' (4+ / 0-)
      Hey338Too, Just Bob, Troubadour, Aunt Pat

sorry, these parasites never quit.

thanks, virus update stalled so, no worries :>

went to Adobe Reader XI and changed preferences as suggested in your link..reloaded that pdf and no sqweeking about it from Adobe...oops, just froze the page and Firefox..said 'bad source, bad.'
      fwiw.

soo....thanks Hey##

great artwork tho...

This machine kills Fascists.

by KenBee on Sat Feb 16, 2013 at 04:48:37 PM PST

•  Dude...I already accessed your link. (3+ / 0-)
        Hey338Too, KenBee, Aunt Pat

WTF?  Am I supposed to do a virus scan now?

Pour yourself into the future.

by Troubadour on Sat Feb 16, 2013 at 04:54:44 PM PST

•  Make sure your virus defs are the very latest... (6+ / 0-)

... and running a scan would be a good idea.  And be careful until the update for Adobe is released.

It amazes me that these issues are not made more public when they occur.

by Hey338Too on Sat Feb 16, 2013 at 04:58:49 PM PST

•  yabut you saw the nifty artwork and the (4+ / 0-)
          ozsea1, Aunt Pat, Troubadour, Hey338Too

interesting explanation, so there's that to be happy about :>

obviously I am/was clueless until Hey's headsup. My antivirus update and scan showed nothing, as usual.

and Adobe was slow enough about this exploit and other things before, their name pops up in lots of these exploit discussions it seems to me, so I would guess there wasn't anything done by accessing that pdf, just that dropbox is for now on Adobe's list of problem sites. My nonscientific guess.

...so, Dude, quit fussin and step between the monitors, hands on your head....hmmm. ..says hear you have nothing to hide.

:>

From the comments here it seems obvious we missed widespread disaster twice by very very small amounts of time.
              I am founding a church tomorrow based on that, ought to be good for big bux.

Thank you God. Stop practicing please.

This machine kills Fascists.

by KenBee on Sat Feb 16, 2013 at 05:21:59 PM PST

•  Between, the Java issue a couple of weeks ago... (5+ / 0-)
        KenBee, Just Bob, ozsea1, Aunt Pat, Troubadour

... the Flash issue last week and the Acrobat thing yesterday - it's amazing that we just don't go back to soup cans and string to communicate.

FWIW even the super professionals at Facebook (no snark intended, these guys were engineers and sys admins) got suckered by the Java exploit.  If it can happen to them, then the rest of us must be very careful and do everything we can to keep our systems up to date.

by Hey338Too on Sat Feb 16, 2013 at 04:55:38 PM PST

•  Got that earlier today (2+ / 0-)
      Troubadour, Hey338Too

had to run a virus scan.

Democratic Leaders must be very clear they stand with the working class of our country. Democrats must hold the line in demanding that deficit reduction is done fairly -- not on the backs of the elderly, the sick, children and the poor.

by Betty Pinson on Sat Feb 16, 2013 at 06:58:38 PM PST

• Recommended (139)
  • Community (68)
  • Elections (26)
  • Environment (26)
  • Culture (24)
  • Science (23)
  • Media (23)
  • Law (22)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Memorial Day (20)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Labor (19)
  • Economy (19)
  • Marriage Equality (17)
  • Republicans (17)
  • Ireland (17)
  • Rescued (17)
  • Climate Change (17)
  • Bernie Sanders (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site