View Diary: Scientific American Gives Details on the Russian Meteor (277 comments)

•  I haven't heard anything, but maybe. (2+ / 0-)
    billmosby, jayden

There have been some orbital images.

Pour yourself into the future.

by Troubadour on Sat Feb 16, 2013 at 08:46:51 PM PST

•  Aircraft are very few and far between in that area (2+ / 0-)
      Troubadour, jayden

Aside from district heating, one other thing that is very strange about Russia is that despite the presence of what appear to be large and modern airports in the substantial cities, the frequency of flights is so low as to be almost nonexistent. We lived 30 or 40 km from Ekaterinburg but I only saw one contrail a day coming from there when I lived and worked near Novouralsk. And I spent much of my time on the 9th floor of a hotel building with a panoramic view in the direction of Ekaterinburg. We heard 20 or 30 trains a day, though. Electric ones that made quite a clatter. Such as this one:

Big Electric Train

Novouralsk is a closed city. We had been on an excursion to Nevyansk with my then-girlfriend, who had no permission to enter Novouralsk. So our driver had to let us off where the road entered the town, we walked along the tracks for a mile or so and rejoined the van. Resulted in a great picture.

Moderation in most things.

by billmosby on Sat Feb 16, 2013 at 10:10:53 PM PST

•  I have a RWingnut sibling who went on a (4+ / 0-)
        Troubadour, marsanges, jayden, billmosby

transRussia, etc. rail trip with a few other RW buddies about seven years ago. He was real impressed with some new-found "friends" who joined them about one-third of the way on.
        His new 'friend' told him that he was a retired Soviet military officer too, got real 'friendly' with bro's group.
        After hearing this, knowing my outspoken/gregarious/garralous bro (remember, serious RW teabaggin' Rethug at home), and looking at some pictures of this fairly young looking dude (without a doubt: KGB/FSB/SVR), all I could do was laugh and tell bro that he and his buds had acquired their very own personal Russki spooks for the rest of that trip.
        Like so much else, he hadn't a clue.

"Double, double, toile and trouble; Fire burne, and Cauldron bubble... By the pricking of my Thumbes, Something wicked this way comes": Republicans!!. . Willkommen im Vierten Reich! Sie haben keine Bedeutung mehr.

by Bluefin on Sat Feb 16, 2013 at 10:43:30 PM PST

•  Oh yeah, I figured air traffic wasn't like here, (3+ / 0-)
        Troubadour, jayden, billmosby

but surely there were some flights, pehaps military, that might have been airborne in range. Maybe some news will filter out.

by Bluefin on Sat Feb 16, 2013 at 10:47:01 PM PST

•  Where I was, we would go for weeks (1+ / 0-)
          Troubadour

without hearing an aircraft of any kind. We would see that daily contrail, but that was it. Chelyabinsk is close enough that I have no reason to think it would be any different. We did venture north a few hours on excursions, and no planes there either. Same story for the Tomsk and Krasnoyarsk areas. One solitary exception: we saw a guy in an ultralight buzzing around near a WW II commemorative statue on the banks of the Tom river. I posted a picture of it some weeks ago in some context or other.

Moderation in most things.

by billmosby on Sun Feb 17, 2013 at 07:56:27 AM PST