View Diary: The U.S. is ground zero for climate change (172 comments)

•  Where is the front page? (7+ / 0-)

We're reading the work the rest of you are doing.

When people in the community know more than the front pagers on a given topic, we read the people who know what they're talking about.

What exactly is it that's wrong with this? Isn't this the way it's supposed to work? It's why we have diaries and a system for the community to push them into view and keep them there.

That's my thinking on the subject. Though I'm not by myself "the front page," of course.

But since it's been asked—and asked on a Sunday, when most of "the front page" takes time out to give space to long form essays—I figured I'd give some answer.

•  You do a great job of covering congress (6+ / 0-)

Mark Sumner, Lawrence Lewis and Dark Syde get seen only on weekends on set pieces. Metor Blades does great work on environmental issues when he's able but that's usually on the midnight shift.

Kos has a huge bias in what he covers. The political minutia gets covered to death. I know more about Mitt Romney than I ever wanted of needed to know. TMI.

Climate issues get relegated to the lower right hand side so the "serious people" in the village rarely look at them.

You are one of my favorite front pagers because you do your own research to arrive at a unique perspective. Jed needs to post less and do more research. He's very good but his talent is wasted on chicken shit details that are covered elsewhere.

look for my eSci diary series Thursday evening.

by FishOutofWater on Sun Feb 17, 2013 at 03:07:45 PM PST

•  I have never seen a story go unpublished. (3+ / 0-)

I've never seen a story submitted by a front pager for publication on the front page rejected because it was about the environment. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a story rejected for any reason, though I've seen some withdrawn because they were no longer timely. But never on the environment that I can recall.

I don't think the bias that exists is the one you think you're seeing. If I had to come up with an accusation of bias that unfairly disadvantaged environmental coverage, I'd say that the selection process skews towards those who cover issues Markos and the editors consider more central to the mission of the blog. But that's nothing new, nor is it an insurmountable problem.

There's plenty of room for criticism, no doubt. And hey, I could be wrong. But I've really never seen anyone say they wanted to write on an environmental subject and even have it hinted to them that they ought not to.

•  I don't agree that ANY topic is left to those "in (2+ / 0-)
      FishOutofWater, WarrenS

the community (who) know more than the front pagers."

On almost a daily basis, things - big and small -  are covered on the front page while also covered in diaries - at the least you find mention in the open threads with links to diaries.

And if a diary is going to cover something that the front page deems worthy but is not writing about themselves, the diary gets 'front paged.'

My guess - this is a rally.  Kos doesn't believe in/get behind rallies.

"Don't Bet Against Us" - President Barack Obama

by MRA NY on Sun Feb 17, 2013 at 03:35:39 PM PST

•  Sometimes diaries do get front paged, yes. (2+ / 0-)

Usually if they are covering something with unique insight.

This is not always the case, even when the subject is of tremendous importance, or hasn't yet been covered on the front page.

It also helps if the core staff is on duty and available to discuss the need to elevate an issue or a diary on that issue. On Sunday, they are not.

•  With all due respect ... (5+ / 0-)

The Forward on Climate rally -- which had over 35,000 people around the White House -- didn't even make Midday Open Thread.

How about 49 people from a wide range of organizations getting arrested in front of the White House to protest a key issue?  Crickets ... and that, by the way, did not occur on a weekend with the excuse that "it also helps if the core staff is on duty".

To do a 'the community knows better' sounds great -- however, yet again, energy / climate / environment didn't make the questionnaire for candidates.  When challenged, Markos engaged on this issue -- on Twitter and not with the discussion within a Daily Kos front page diary.  What does that say about respect for the community members who know a subject?

-------

Question: You cover "Congress".  How much attention have you given to the importance (or utter lack therein) of a create of a Climate Caucus?  What about the Boxer-Sanders climate bill?  What about ...???

--------

Break -- want to say thank you for engaging in this discussion.

Blogging regularly at Get Energy Smart NOW! for a sustainable energy future.

by A Siegel on Sun Feb 17, 2013 at 06:29:31 PM PST

•  I don't "cover Congress." (4+ / 0-)

I do what I like to do, about what interests me. No assignments. Not from Markos. Not from you.

To the extent that I do "cover Congress," I cover procedure. You know that. We've been through it before, face to face. It's been the same for going on seven years now. If you want an explanation of why the House or Senate might choose one procedure over another for the consideration of Boxer-Sanders, I can help.

If you want an explanation of what's in it, that's on you. I have no idea, and only will learn it to the extent that I either hear it from you or someone else, or I need to know in order to figure out the procedure.

It has always been this way, even when you've asked me what it would take to make it different.

•  Fair enough point that (2+ / 0-)
              WarrenS, John Crapper

my shorthand didn't accurately reflect your focus / interest.  For that, a mea culpa.  It wasn't meant as "assignments".

Honestly, you are getting a challenge like this because, as per comment (serious) comment about "thank you", you are engaged in comments/discussion here.

You're right -- if there  were a serious battle about how climate legislation was moving forward, I would be asking you what it all meant and how it works. Asking / expecting you to give 'newsy' coverage of a bill announcement or a press conference about a caucus is an unfair representation of your passion/interest.

Blogging regularly at Get Energy Smart NOW! for a sustainable energy future.

by A Siegel on Mon Feb 18, 2013 at 02:53:22 AM PST

•  compare what FP has done on guns and climate (8+ / 0-)

since Newtown (galvanizing event) and Sandy (ditto).

You say the front pagers' job is to listen because the community knows more than the FP. I say: compare the leadership on guns vs the listening on climate.

Candidates: Candidate running as anti-NRA candidate in IL-02: huge front page support, Act Blue money raised, etc. Candidate running as climate hawk in MA-Sen: crickets.

Personal perspective: front pager essays on Newtown: at least 3 that I can recall recently. If there's been a front pager's personal perspective on climate recently, I haven't seen it.

Black humor: GunFAIL diaries written by frontpagers: at least 4? ClimateFAIL diaries written by frontpagers: zero.

These aren't counting the frontpage straight news reporting on both events. These are examples of the front page "extras" on guns but not on climate.

I say this as a person who puts gun violence up there with immigration and marriage equality on my list of top 5 issues.  I don't disagree with advocacy on guns. I just wish y'all would lead instead of listen on climate.

And if y'all think the community knows more about climate than the FP, then (a) listen to Laurence Lewis and (b) promote community members.

Do the math. #unfrackCal. @RL_Miller

by RLMiller on Sun Feb 17, 2013 at 04:46:15 PM PST

•  Your signature line fits here ... (4+ / 0-)
        Do the math.
        And, well done comment.

Blogging regularly at Get Energy Smart NOW! for a sustainable energy future.

by A Siegel on Sun Feb 17, 2013 at 06:30:27 PM PST

•  I don't have anything to tell you about climate. (1+ / 0-)
        Larsstephens

I don't. I really, really, really don't.

How many diaries have you written about Senate procedure? Zero. When you need to know about it, whose diaries do you read?

And when I need to know about environmental issues, whose diaries do you think I read?

•  You're a front pager. I'm not. (5+ / 0-)

The right side of DailyKos is the credible side in the eyes of non-Kossacks. The right side generally avoids climate, save for Meteor Blades' posts put up at nearly midnight on the east coast, long after professionals have stopped reading for the night.

While I don't doubt that some front pagers read some environmental diaries, the only one who semi-regularly recommends what  I write is Laurence Lewis.

But the issue isn't whether environmental diaries get read. The issue is why the front pagers, aka the right side of the blog, don't lead on the most important issue of the next few generations in the way that they lead on other Democratic issues.

Do the math. #unfrackCal. @RL_Miller

by RLMiller on Sun Feb 17, 2013 at 11:02:12 PM PST

•  "when I need to know about environmental issues" (5+ / 0-)

Reading the implications of these words ...

"when I need to know ..."
          If my standard was something like what "I need to know" about my core focus, it is unlikely that I would ever come to Daily Kos.  Whether it is looking to the business challenges of moving to a clean energy economy, looking to better analytical structures, school administration challenges, issues related to start-ups, and the other things I "need to know" about, there are a myriad of other locations.

I come to learn / engage / develop my own understanding and, well, hopefully provide the same to others.

Do I look to the front page or the community diaries for what "I need to know"?  No.  I learn, get motivated, have my thinking enriched/challenged -- sometimes in ways that I could never have predicted before turning on the computer and pulling up the site.  And, sometimes I do learn something that I "need to know" (as a citizen, as a parent, as activist, as ...) that I had no clue that I needed to know before I learned about the issue.

If I relied on "when I need to know", there is much that I would never have learned because I would know what I needed to know ...

Blogging regularly at Get Energy Smart NOW! for a sustainable energy future.

by A Siegel on Mon Feb 18, 2013 at 05:48:36 AM PST

•  In spite of all the excellent work done by (0+ / 0-)

many here and elsewhere, going on decades now,
        AGW/CC has not 'taken off' as a populist and general
        issue socially or politically. The reasons why not are
        manifold, but this is still reflected in media coverage,
        and quite possibly legislative activity or lack of therein.

How could that 'coverage' not be reflected here, also?
        The polling indicates a general awakening, but not the
        widespread deep concern that is necessary to foster action.

A proactive editorial policy here would be welcome, and
        there is certainly no shortage of able and willing voices,
        as the multiple AGW/CC blogathons here attest. Why
        not petition TPTB for an assigned front page editorial spot?

I suppose it will take some monstrous and perhaps
        unavoidable tragedy to focus our collective attentions.
        There are the many political calculations, which are
        never far from the surface of such considerations.

What will be the Newtown of AGW/CC? No shortage
        of suspects, many possible calamities await one and all.
        Which will be the one that viscerally grabs the average
        voter enough to demand some sort of collective response?

Personally, I have a very hard time separating my
        ability to elevate this issue above the many others
        that all seem to be intrinsically bound together.

We definitely require holistic solutions to address
        this and all the other political and socioeconomic
        issues simultaneously. Not impossible to do. But
        not a short term exercise for specific agendas, either.

Thanks for all of your efforts.

•  And ... (5+ / 0-)

this is an absurd statement:

We're reading the work the rest of you are doing.

I've only been on the recommended list 230 times.

Want to do a search for the # of front-pager comments, recommends, etc in those diaries?  Oh, take Meteor Blades, Devilstower, and Turkana out of that search. Other than that ...????  Few and far between.

And, when you look to the recommenders list for others in this field, you will find similar results.

And, there were those who examined the Forward on Climate blogathon diaries with this question in mind ...

We don't see the evidence that you "read the people who know what they're talking about" here about energy, climate, and environmental issues -- unless, of course, the front pagers don't consider this work worth recommending.

Blogging regularly at Get Energy Smart NOW! for a sustainable energy future.

by A Siegel on Sun Feb 17, 2013 at 06:39:31 PM PST

•  The attitude expressed in this comment... (8+ / 0-)

...is disturbingly similar to those expressed by mainstream media professionals about their own failures of coverage.

DK front pagers rightly castigate journalists for their unwillingness to recognize that their reportage influences the way an issue is understood by the public — and their preference for easy-to-understand nonsense over complicated issues of importance.  For example...

This is not some hobbyist blog buried in the intertubes.  How DK covers an issue similarly influences the way it's handled both in the larger media universe and in the political sphere, as witness the impact of the site's post-Newtown gun coverage.

Yes, the climate bloggers do a great job.  I'm proud to be a (very minor) member of that group.  We all appreciate the kindly pats on the head.

But given that climate change has the potential to make all the other issues of the day into historical irrelevancies within a few years' time, it behooves the editorial management of DK to be a little more proactive on climate coverage.

Freedom isn't "on the march." Freedom dances.

by WarrenS on Mon Feb 18, 2013 at 07:12:54 AM PST

•  Well said Warren. In a nutshell the issue (5+ / 0-)

needs to be elevated on the front page.  This blog is a driving force in determining the political agenda of this country. There is no other issue that permeates so many  aspects of our existence the way climate change does.

I really think part of the problem has been that climate change is an issue that goes beyond politics when its effects are most felt by the country (like Sandy).  People come together to help and politics recedes into the background for a while.

The KOS community has a hard time venturing too far away from the political tug of war, he said/she said, partisan divide wrangling/ranting that takes place between the two parties.   It's a drug political junkies can't get enough of.  That fact does not bode well for elevating the issue we care most about.

If we really want to straighten out all this crap we really need to think about shit - Holy Shit.

by John Crapper on Mon Feb 18, 2013 at 10:05:06 AM PST