View Diary: IPDI nonsense: "must protect media from bloggers!" (117 comments)

•  Let me get this straight (none)
    If I, of my own volition, rent a car, drive to NYC, stand on a soapbox in Times Square and declare out loud my support for Harry Kornfowski, I've made a campaign contribution?  Whaaaaa??!!
    •  Well (none)
      Okay, it's really for bloggers who accept advertising.  Because, then, some things on their sites are paid for, while others are given away for free, but your "free speech" has a value set by how much you charge someone to pay for your space in advertising.  Get it?

"Let's put our heads together/And start a new country up/Our father's father's father tried/Erased the parts he didn't like" - R.E.M., "Cuyahoga"

by Adam B on Thu Jun 02, 2005 at 02:55:11 PM PDT

•  Fox, Clear Channel (none)
        What world does this person live in?

The SCOTUS is Extraordinary.

by Armando on Thu Jun 02, 2005 at 02:56:44 PM PDT

•  BTW (none)
        The proposal would consider speech on blogs or anywhere an in kind contribution?

How's this fit into Buckley? Wasn't that money? Free ads I can see, but speech?

Haven;t read Buckley since forever.

The SCOTUS is Extraordinary.

by Armando on Thu Jun 02, 2005 at 02:59:40 PM PDT

•  if it's a site that also receives advertising... (none)
          ...from candidates, parties or PACs.  That's the worst-case scenario, which she seems to want.

by Adam B on Thu Jun 02, 2005 at 03:01:45 PM PDT

•  I got that (none)
            But is the idea that editorial content is also in kind, to wit - markos' speech is in kind?

The ads are expenditures rights?

The issue is in kind through editorial content?

Forgive my ignorance, I forgot the little I knew about this.

The SCOTUS is Extraordinary.

by Armando on Thu Jun 02, 2005 at 03:03:45 PM PDT

•  well, it's tricky (none)
              I have to go back to the "independent expenditure" rules -- like, if you're paying for your server, and you use your site to talk about candidates, does that count?

The way I see the biggest potential problem is this: blogger gets an ad, and so he says something nice about the candidate.  Later the blogger devotes attention to another campaign, but this time, for free.  There is every reason to believe that the blogger has opened himself to a complaint that he has made an "in kind" contribution to the second candidate. The space provided is something of value, and the value would be the difference between what is charged to the first candidate and the amount charged--nothing--to the second.   If the blogger is incorporated, this contribution is illegal.  Even if not, there's a filing that must occur.

by Adam B on Thu Jun 02, 2005 at 03:09:48 PM PDT

•  Thus the exemption (none)
                I got it now.

Obviously thatis what spurs the media exemption.

All caught up now.

The SCOTUS is Extraordinary.

by Armando on Thu Jun 02, 2005 at 03:11:56 PM PDT

•  exactly (4.00)
                  The exemption allows Viacom, Inc., to say whatever it wants about politics via CBS News without having to file a single form.

by Adam B on Thu Jun 02, 2005 at 03:13:46 PM PDT

•  then why (none)
        can't the blogger operate as a sole proprietorship, as a business owner - like any one of a number of community newsletters that sell advertising space to anybody - should the local paper be viewed as a political supporter of every advertiser it accepts money from? Or as a political supporter of the candidates their advertisers support? How many generations of removal from the advertiser to a political candidate are required before it is not a campaign contribution?
      •  So, it has nothing to do with (none)
        how much I spend?  There's no difference, then, between me flying across the country to speak in favor of a federal candidate at a gathering and spending the same amount of money buying a computer and an Internet connection and setting up a blog in support of that same candidate.  Neither set of expenses would be considered a campaign contribution - unless I was asked to do so by the candidate or his/her party?
        •  There is a big difference (none)
          Your setting up the computer might be considered an "independent expenditure" on behalf of the campaign and, if valued at >$250, you'd have to file.  If you set up a group blog and spent more than $1000 in conjunction with it, you're now a PAC.

by Adam B on Thu Jun 02, 2005 at 04:17:07 PM PDT

•  And, if I already owned the computer (none)
            and had a blog on which I discussed many issues BEFORE this person even became a candidate, then an endorsement on my blog would be . . . ?

Sorry to seems so dense about this.  I learn best by example.

•  Probably nothing (none)
              Unless you could find some way to value it -- or all the speech on behalf of that candidate, as being a thing of value aggregating over $250.

by Adam B on Thu Jun 02, 2005 at 04:44:51 PM PDT