View Diary: RKBA: Liberal Alternative to the NRA (354 comments)

•  Correction (11+ / 0-)

They are voting against people who don't support interests that are important to them.

Plenty here on DK have been playing Ostrich and denying that there is a growing segment of defectors.  Many of them may not be willing to join the R's but to not vote or vote 3rd party is just as damaging.

Just this morning on LGC's forum one person said that in response to the bans going up in CO and WA that they will no longer support the D party.  Just like with the R's you don't get to choose which rights are convenient.

•  Ooooh, one person (9+ / 0-)

said they're not going to support the Democrats because Washington and Colorado passed reasonable gun control laws? Background checks and banning CC on college campuses too much of an overreach for you?
      I'm terrified.
      Interesting that in that particular forum there are several threads dedicated to bashing DK and certain members here.
      So is it a Liberal gun group or just a bunch of disgruntled ex-Kossacks?

“We are not a nation that says ‘don’t ask, don’t tell.’ We are a nation that says ‘out of many, we are one.’” -Barack Obama

by skohayes on Tue Feb 19, 2013 at 07:37:21 AM PST

•  It was around before the DK RKBA group (14+ / 0-)

was started, much less this latest round of gun control idiocy that swept the site.

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Tue Feb 19, 2013 at 07:43:56 AM PST

•  Gun control idiocy (0+ / 0-)

Yes, because objecting to elementary school kids being murdered is idiotic.

Because objecting to the thuggish antics of your little gun club here when they wanted to completely own the topic, and would harangue anyone who said anything about regulation or restriction or registration until it got to the point that most members treated any discussion of gun policy as a no-go zone because it felt like a violent gang headquarters, despite that the MAJORITY of site members support restrictions... is idiotic.

Because any restrictions whatsoever on the Second Amendment is idiotic.

Because the way things were before, when everyone stayed out of your way was SO MUCH BETTER.

Gotcha.

•  You sound like Boehner when he (2+ / 0-)
            PavePusher, theatre goon

refers to "the American People".

•  I'm right there with you objecting. (3+ / 0-)
            theatre goon, andalusi, FrankRose

Objecting isn't the problem.

The fact that you don't even know enough about the group to say this:

Because any restrictions whatsoever on the Second Amendment is idiotic.
            itself says tons.

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 06:21:25 AM PST

•  I love this (2+ / 0-)
            FrankRose, noway2

I am glad that the only thing that we talk about is the last thing that happened. The death of those children was tragic, and my heart goes out to the families, I have kids and I couldnt imagine if they were taken away from me. But my opinion about the 2A wouldn't change.
            What about the people doing the bad things illegally? Or the mentally ill people doing something stupid, its all of a sudden my fault as a responsible gun owner?
            Telling me that I have to register my guns is idiotic, you think some thug, gang banger whatever is going to register his/hers? Thats the argument?
            What is your statement going to be when one of the bad guys sticks a gun in your back and takes your wallet/purse? We passed a gun control law? Lets be silly.

Americas Gun Culture began at its inception

•  But but but but .... (1+ / 0-)
              andalusi

[sarcasm]
              If you registered your guns, the police would have an easier time finding out that your a child murder when you decide its time to commit your crime.

If you are a law abiding citizen you have nothing to fear from registration

Registration never leads to confiscation.  Thats just not true

It WILL stop crime.

The NRA is against it so we must do it.

Because of Ted Nugent

We will defeat you!!!!

[/sarcasm]

•  Using dead school kids for political gain (1+ / 0-)
            theatre goon

is just as bad.  Bits were chomped at on December 14th 2012 unlike any time before.

Expect 2014, 2016 and probably 2020 to hurt the current powerbase of the DNC and I for one am shedding no tears.  I am instead working to bring the Democratic Party back in line with the Constitution that our elected officials swear to protect yet run at the chance of doing the opposite of that when blood is literally in the water.

Funny how the person who fought the hardest against indefinite detention of citizens under the NDAA 2011 is the one fighting the hardest to remove a class of firearms that are used in 2% of all violent crimes and has held that level of usage since they were first put into the public's hands in the 1960's.

Why add further restrictions when the current ones are being ignored by the agency that was tasked to enforce those exact laws.

Bowers v. DeVito "...there is no constitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered."
            Director of Merchandising - the Liberal Gun Club
            Interim Chairman - Democratic Gun Owners' Caucus of Missouri

by ErikO on Sat Feb 23, 2013 at 11:44:59 PM PST

•  I have no use for people like that. (6+ / 0-)

In a perfect world, we can all be one-issue voters.

But this world is far from perfect.  The big picture has got to be taken into consideration.  If somebody is too stupid or too selfish to get that, I'll leave them to somebody else to convince.  I have no patience for it.

I feel the same way about women who consider the abortion issue and nothing else, no matter what side they are on.

I vote for people every year who disagree with me on many issues.  But they are people who overall align the way I think the country should go.

Big picture gets my vote every time.

Your flag decal won't get you into heaven anymore. John Prine -8.00,-5.79

by Miss Blue on Tue Feb 19, 2013 at 07:40:48 AM PST

•  Miss Blue, great point, so what are we doing (10+ / 0-)

about these things, as Democrats again?

FISA Law-good until 2017

The Patriot Act- good until forever.

The Military Commissions Act- still going.

TARP Bailouts- Still going.

Unfunded Wars- Still going.

CISPA- Reintroduced

Targeting & Killing Americans without charges, judge, trial or jury---STILL going on.

War on Whistleblowers- Still going on.

Racist Drug War- Still going on.

The Catfood Commission- Still trying to cut Social Security and anything not for Defense.

Tax breaks for the 1% still going.

Wall Street still not prosecuted.

Credit Agencies still not prosecuted.

Maybe Gun Control is the last "issue", not the only issue for many of us!

Gun control that will not address the conditions that create despair in our society leading to more violence.

Gun control that will not stop the killings in our war torn inner cities.

Gun control that will not create living wage jobs.

Gun control that will not stop the American Police State.

Gun control that will not stop the abrogation of our rights.

Gun control that will not stop the defunding of our social safety nets.

Gun control that will not stop, change or do anything but distract us from doing what needs to be done.

Miss Blue, are you getting the point yet???

by gerrilea on Tue Feb 19, 2013 at 08:48:17 AM PST

•  I will never agree with you (4+ / 0-)

Sorry, but I not only hate guns, I hate the fact that this country is full of them.

The people I vote for generally agree with my opinion at least with regard to 75% of the things that are important to me.  Education, healthcare, women's rights, wages, wars, climate change and the environment.

I don't give a damn about taxes, they are at the bottom of my list.  The other crap you've listed are things that don't even come up for voted in Congress so why should I concern myself with them?  Should I refuse to vote for somebody because they aren't screaming about FISA?

I voted every chance I had for Russ Feingold.  So great, he voted against the Patriot Act.  I guess if that was my sole issue I could pat myself on the back for a job well done.  Oops, except we still have the Patriot Act.  So if every other position Russ advocated for was against my interests it would have been pretty stupid for me to vote for him.

I do consider gun control to be necessary and I do think it will help curb the violence.  Eventually.  You find it a distraction.  So we really have nothing to talk about.

Your flag decal won't get you into heaven anymore. John Prine -8.00,-5.79

• Republicans (29)
  • Climate Change (27)
  • Spam (23)
  • Education (23)
  • Congress (23)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Labor (21)
  • Barack Obama (21)
  • Texas (20)
  • Law (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site