View Diary: Doggy Mug Shots (Your Laugh of the Day) Part 1 - Updated (205 comments)

•  Raw poultry bones are ok, (10+ / 0-)

As long as the quantity is not in excess (doesn't cause the dog to bloat).

Cooked bones (of all types) DO splinter and absolutely can cause serious GI damage, which can be painful, expensive (surgery may be necessary) and fatal if an intestine is perforated.

After I toss cooked bones in the kitchen garbage, I immediately tie off the bag and out it in the outside garbage.

Everyone has or knows a dog that survived eating chocolate or cooked bones "just fine." But we or our friends have survived texting while driving "just fine" too.

It depends in what else is in the stomach at the time, that particular bone (how long was it cooked  and how? Bones braised in fluid may be less likely to splinter than bones of chicken grilled to slightly overdone on a bar-b-que. the dog's age is an issue. Young dogs have better GI motility than older dogs. Did the dog gulp the bones or chew them carefully?)

I try not be be paranoid. There are things on the ASPCA toxins list I  disregard to a great extent for my own dogs. But bones and chocolate are not them.

And if you don't know why they're on the list and exactly why you're disregarding them -- and to exactly what level -- you really should not.

People do lose their dogs over such stupid things. And not to be crass, but they often lose their dogs after they've spent a lot of money trying desperately to save them.

It's just not worth it. Get a heavy covered/ locking garbage can; put it in a cabinet. Never put bones or other attractive unsafe food in the inside garbage. Homes with counter cruisers should never leave food on the counter (I had a big breadbox that I could safely leave food temporarily in).

© grover

by grover on Tue Feb 19, 2013 at 01:41:22 PM PST

•  Thank you so much for this info (6+ / 0-)

You may not be paranoid about this kind of thing, but I sure as hell am! :)

Frances (6 yo, 17 lb, female schnoodle lovebug) is my first and only dog and I wonder sometimes if I don't love her more than life itself. If anything were to happen that could have been prevented had I known better or been more alert, I think I'd fall over and die. And I don't think I'm exaggerating, not one bit. (For example--just a quick story--she got out of the house without me for the first time ever via the patio gate last Sunday night when I had just stepped into the carport area "real quick" with an armload of recycling. When I returned inside and realized she wasn't there--anywhere--I swear to God my knees buckled. I steadied myself fast, but my first thought was, How will I manage to search for her if I pass out first? LOL. Anyway, she was just outside the gate, waiting for me, wagging. So all was well. But I am SUCH a freakout when it comes to her!)

I appreciate your posts, Grover. For me, there's no such thing as too careful.

God bless our tinfoil hearts.

by aitchdee on Tue Feb 19, 2013 at 04:08:56 PM PST

•  I keep a portable gate (7+ / 0-)

near my door to keep the cats from rushing the door.  In my previous apartments, chase the kitty was down a hallway.  Now, it's the great big outdoors,

You can never be too cautious.  As much as they're trained, the lure of a bird or squirrel can be too much.

There already is class warfare in America. Unfortunately, the rich are winning.

by Puddytat on Tue Feb 19, 2013 at 04:13:25 PM PST

•  Also, Home Depot and all hardware stores (4+ / 0-)
          diggerspop, Puddytat, ColoTim, aitchdee

Stock tightly-wound springs that you attach one side to the gate and one side to the wall on which the gate is hung. It usually just takes a couple screws.

If the wall is a brick wall, it will require an extra anchor bolt and some drilling. A handyman can do this pretty quickly if you're not handy with tools.

Then, once the spring is installed, your gate will immediately close behind you whenever you go in and out. But with you shoulder or hips, you can push the gate open and with an  elbow or a foot, you can pull it open going the other direction, even if your arms are full.

I have them on all our gates. The cost and inconvenience are minimal. The security is precious.

And it also prevents ultility workers or others from inadvertently leaving your gate open. Unless uou have a smart devious dog, many even won't try a gate that appears to closed.

© grover

by grover on Tue Feb 19, 2013 at 06:41:36 PM PST

•  Thanks for the suggestions, but I rent (2+ / 0-)
            ColoTim, aitchdee

Screws in the woodwork or anywhere else are prohibited.

There already is class warfare in America. Unfortunately, the rich are winning.

by Puddytat on Tue Feb 19, 2013 at 09:17:48 PM PST

•  Actually, I was adding to your comment, (3+ / 0-)
              Puddytat, Byrnt, aitchdee

But speaking to aitchdee. Your set-up sounds great for you. I was thinking of her patio gate.

This was one of those weird cases when I couldn't decide if it made sense to further the conversation or create a parallel comment.

I chose wrong. Heh, I usually do.

© grover

by grover on Tue Feb 19, 2013 at 11:19:43 PM PST

•  I hadn't heard of this kind of thing but (1+ / 0-)
                Puddytat

honestly, it sounds like the best thing since sliced bagels. Thanks so much for mentioning it! It's been quite a juggling act trying to bring multiple bags of groceries into the house from the carport and keep that gate shut behind me each time I go in and out. I will look into this set up for sure.

Now for the slider, the outlet to the patio. Wish it would shut automatically somehow. ;)

God bless our tinfoil hearts.

by aitchdee on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 04:36:01 AM PST

•  No kidding. (2+ / 0-)
                  Puddytat, aitchdee

One of my dogs is brilliant at opening the slider. He hasn't learned to close it.

Then again, I'm not sure he really cares enough to learn to.

During the summer, at least, the magnetic screen doors actually work incredibly well. Mr grover said he wanted to order some. So we got them on amazon. I'm amazed how well they hold up and keep bugs out.

So that's a sort of option, although they're not secure at all.

© grover