View Diary: Do we really need 10 obsolete aircraft carriers? (159 comments)

•  Alliances used to imply MUTUAL effort (0+ / 0-)

Why do we have to pay to defend nations that are not doing their part?  Very few nations are indispensable to the US.  I'll give you Canada for proximity and the UK for actually making an effort to do their part.  In fact I like that the UK was the Empire in the 19th century.   If nations want to be defended by us let them pay for it.

And I think you are living in the 20th century not the 21st.

•  S. Korea, Japan, Taiwan and Israel (3+ / 0-)
      Senor Unoball, Quicklund, alain2112

do their part by allying with us...they keep democracy alive in parts of the world where it is sorely lacking.

"Fascism is attracting the dregs of humanity- people with a slovenly biography - sadists, mental freaks, traitors." - ILYA EHRENBURG

by durrati on Tue Feb 19, 2013 at 02:15:23 PM PST

•  Allies defend you (0+ / 0-)

We have a few good allies and with the exception of France they all speak the King's English - Canada, the UK, Australia are allies as is France.   They are the only countries that consistently make some effort to participate with forces on the ground when we need them.  S Korea, Taiwan, and Israel are not allies they are expensive dependents.

I am pretty much an isolationist.  Easy to be an isolationist in the Midwest.  I probably should have been Canadian.  I figure don't mess with others and they are a lot less likely to mess with you.  Keep acquiring "allies" that do nothing but stick out there thousands of miles from home at risk of attack and all that does for you is force the Minnesota National Guard to be shipped to the middle east or wherever to defend someone who would never defend you.

•  Canada might as well be (3+ / 0-)
          skohayes, Quicklund, alain2112

a fifty-first state they rely on us for defense as well.

I do not believe in imposing democracy at the point of a gun as the neo-cons do but I agree that democracies rarely attack one another and the ability of nations to choose their own government is an important factor in building a real and lasting peace in the world so I appreciate all of our DEMOCRATIC allies. As for some of the others I have less appreciation...

by durrati on Tue Feb 19, 2013 at 02:49:37 PM PST

•  Canada (3+ / 0-)
            DeadHead, Quicklund, Senor Unoball

for a small country, has sent a greater percentage of their population to die in foreign wars than we have.

Go look up Vimy Ridge and Dieppe and then get back to me on trashing Canada.

If the pilot's good, see, I mean if he's reeeally sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low... oh you oughta see it sometime. It's a sight. A big plane like a '52... varrrooom! Its jet exhaust... frying chickens in the barnyard!

by Major Kong on Tue Feb 19, 2013 at 07:05:36 PM PST

•  I apologize (2+ / 0-)
              Quicklund, Senor Unoball

I know of course, of Canada's contributions in WW I and II but was referring to their defense posture relative to ours and in no way meant to trash her.

by durrati on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 07:08:39 AM PST

•  Understood (2+ / 0-)
                durrati, Quicklund

As an American, it's sometimes hard for us to see things from another country's point of view.

A Canadian might point out that they've only been attacked twice in their history - and both times the attacker was us.

by Major Kong on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 10:35:31 AM PST

•  Well, in fairness (1+ / 0-)
                  Quicklund

we were attacking England, but I gotcha.

by durrati on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 08:01:00 PM PST