View Diary: Updated x2 - CNBC/CNN put Tesla to the Test. NY Times Fails. (230 comments)

•  You do still need to calculate the cost of the (5+ / 0-)
    MRA NY, Lujane, MKSinSA, sacrelicious, MPociask

electricity in.  And you just might end up needing to replace batteries (unless there''s some warranty, which I don't know).  I'd love a Tesla, but I'd need to get the $80,000 one, and our electrical rates are double that of most.  So it's probably not going to happen.

(Isn't there also a tax credit of $7,500?  That would reduce the actual cost as well.)

by gustynpip on Tue Feb 19, 2013 at 06:57:25 PM PST

•  There is no free battery replacement. (0+ / 0-)

We were not ahead of our time, we led the way to our time.

by i understand on Tue Feb 19, 2013 at 06:59:32 PM PST

•  Costs of electricity are minimal (8+ / 0-)

especially if you fill up at a Tesla supercharger which is free.

Batteries have a 8 year 100,000 warranty.

Yes there is a $7,500 credit.  I factored it in already.  The 40kwh is actually close to $60,000 without the rebate.

This is your world These are your people You can live for yourself today Or help build tomorrow for everyone -8.75, -8.00

by DisNoir36 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 at 07:29:25 PM PST

•  Ha! You aren't fortunate enough to live in a (4+ / 0-)

coop area like me.  We get to pay double everyone else's electric rates.  And there are no superchargers anywhere within hundreds of miles.  The one I'd need to buy in order for it to be of realistic use would hit nearly 100 grand, so I guess it's going to continue being a dream, even with your most helpful calculations.

by gustynpip on Tue Feb 19, 2013 at 08:28:05 PM PST

•  SOLAR PANELS (2+ / 0-)
          Just Bob, radical simplicity

Although what I do is have a net metering deal with the electric company where they buy my excess power during the day, when they need it and I don't.  I also have a Time-of-Use plan where I charge my Leaf at midnight when power is cheapest.  I pay 9 cents a kWh charging then.  Both my charging station and the car itself have timers to enable this.

So would getting solar help?

•  Not where I live. I think the sun shines (0+ / 0-)

a total of like 22 hours a year.  (Not really that bad - but this time of year, it feels like it.)

My husband and I have discussed the possibility of putting up a windmill - because what we don't get in sun we definitely get in wind.  But we haven't been able to find any realistic way of getting that done.

by gustynpip on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 05:51:13 AM PST

•  When we looked on Tesla's website, (2+ / 0-)
        Quicklund, NYFM

THEY had already factored in the federal tax credit into the advertised price.

You're likely double-discounting.

© grover

by grover on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 12:54:48 AM PST

•  Where do you get (2+ / 0-)
        Quicklund, redcedar

this "minimal cost" electricity?  I'd like some for my house . . . (I get the "free for now" at "supercharger sites" for as long as the marketing promotion lasts, and even the tax-and-ratepayer subsidies for some "home charging stations", but obviously that can't go on forever . . . it doesn't cost any less to generate electricity for your car that it does for my television).

Fake Left, Drive Right . . . not my idea of a Democrat . . .

by Deward Hastings on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 05:57:31 AM PST

•  From what I've heard with the superchargers (0+ / 0-)

The only cost to Tesla is the capital cost and maybe a bit of maintenance.  They actually figured those costs into the price of the Model S.  That at least is what Elon Musk said in an interview discussing it.

"It was believed afterward that the man was a lunatic, because there was no sense in what he said." "The War Prayer" by Mark Twain

by Quanta on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 09:53:31 AM PST

•  If so, (0+ / 0-)

(and I'd love to see the accounting for it) it's not "free" it's "prepaid" . . . and any time you charge at home on your own dime you're paying twice.  Or something.

Is it actually in the purchase contract that you're guaranteed "free" power forever?

Fake Left, Drive Right . . . not my idea of a Democrat . . .

by Deward Hastings on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 01:51:02 PM PST

•  There's a federally mandated battery warranty (3+ / 0-)
      MKSinSA, sacrelicious, Sychotic1

And in some states, there's an additional mandate. The minimum, under federal law is 100,000 miles.

In some states, it's 150,000 miles (any state that has adopted the CA emissions regs).

If your battery pack dies before the minimum mandated age in your state, you get a free battery pack from the dealer.

•  quoted prices after the discount n/t (0+ / 0-)

"There's nothing serious about a plan that claims to reduce the deficit by spending a trillion dollars on tax cuts for millionaires and billionaires." - President Obama

by fhcec on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 12:09:49 AM PST

•  Most electic companies have EV credits/discounts. (0+ / 0-)

You simply have to apply.

(As a matter of fact, many offer discounted rates for equipment like CPAP machines for sleep apnea too. I had no idea. But I'm off topic... )

As for the federal tax credit, Tesla includes that in their advertised price of the car...

© grover