View Diary: Updated x2 - CNBC/CNN put Tesla to the Test. NY Times Fails. (230 comments)

•  "much, much cheaper"? (1+ / 0-)
    Quicklund

I don't see that.  I do watch various EV sites, and especially note the estimates of electric power (kWh) consumption for gas-equivalent vehicle performance, and when that is multiplied by unsubsidized (retail) electric prices the "cheaper" all but disappears.  There are plenty of ICE vehicles that cost less than ten cents/mile for fuel (at current prices) . . . how many kWh does it take to move an EV a mile (average, normal driving) and what does a kWh of electricity cost (unsubsidized) where you live?

Fake Left, Drive Right . . . not my idea of a Democrat . . .

by Deward Hastings on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 06:12:07 AM PST

•  I can travel (4+ / 0-)

about 40 miles minimum (I usually get at least 45 since my trips are on flat, low traffic roads) on only electricity in my Volt and it costs about $0.95 to charge it.  So, for about 40 miles of range on electric I pay ninety cents, for a car that gets 30mpg like my wife's that same 40 miles costs $5.20 based on the cost for a gallon today.  Takes me about 4 hours to fully charge the Volt off the 240v charger I installed.

If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin. --- Charles Darwin

by coracii on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 07:56:23 AM PST

•  since a "full" recharge (0+ / 0-)

will take about 15kVA that suggests that you are paying about 6 cents/kWH for power . . . I sure wish I could buy electric power at that price, but where I live "baseline" is twice that and the top marginal rate (which regular charging of an EV would push me into) is over 30 cents/kWH.

6 cents/kWH . . . damn, that's a steal.  If I could get that price I'd buy an electric car just so I could run my house off the charger . . .

Fake Left, Drive Right . . . not my idea of a Democrat . . .

by Deward Hastings on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 08:46:36 AM PST

•  You're almost exactly right (0+ / 0-)

I pay about 6.2 cents per kWH according to my last bill.

by coracii on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 12:12:40 PM PST

•  Where are you (0+ / 0-)

that power is that cheap?

Fake Left, Drive Right . . . not my idea of a Democrat . . .

by Deward Hastings on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 01:44:57 PM PST

•  Central Florida (0+ / 0-)

My first 1000 kWH per month is 6.2047 cents per unit and anything above that is 8.7613 cents per unit (for a 2300 square foot house we typically average about 600 units in the late fall, winter and early spring and about 900 units in the early fall, late spring and summer.  HVAC costs are a killer here with the temps constantly staying in the mid to upper 90's for most of the year.

by coracii on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 04:32:22 PM PST

•  I get between 34 and 58 miles per charge... (2+ / 0-)
        coracii, radical simplicity

in my 2012 Volt, depending on the weather.  My commute is 40 miles round-trip, and I plug in at work, so it usually isn't a problem for me to go all electric every day (every day above 25 degrees, that is).

Anyway, I pay $0.055 per kWh.  I get between 3.5 and 6 miles traveled per kilowatt hour, again depending on the weather, traffic, etc.  A full charge costs me $0.44. I don't even notice a bump in my electric bill, especially since half my charging occurs at work.  I used to drive a car that got about 30 mpg.  I drive 13000 miles per year.  That 433 gallons x $3.75 = $1,625.00 per year in gas.  I plan on keeping this car 6 years.  I'll spend about $1000 in gas over six years and $500 on electric.  That's $8250 in gas savings.  I have 82% oil life after 19 months, so it's possible I won't have  to change the oil even once.  I won't have to get new brakes (I down-shift in Low to brake more often than not), transmission, or any normal IC maintenance.  A  car that cost me $40,000 to buy, minus $7500 federal tax rebate, and $4000 state rebate will end up with a total cost of ownership at way less than $20,000.

If gas prices stay at $4.00/gal, or if I was driving a car that got 25 or 20 or 15 mpg, the savings calculation adds up even higher.

Let me tell you, it' s a sweet ride either way. (And no charge anxiety).