View Diary: Obama rolls out new infrastructure, jobs plan (111 comments)

•  the biggest problem with this plan (11+ / 0-)

is the promise to "streamline" approvals processes- i.e:  environmental reviews may get short shrift.  I don't know for sure but as a design/construction professional I don't see much good coming from that kind of project management.

•  and with 'private money' what could go wrong? (7+ / 0-)

my idea of private money would be direct credit from the IRS in lieu of fines and or jail time for Wall Street..we shouldn't have to 'partner' with private money interests.

There's a really old name for that arrangement.

How did this money get to be 'private money' in the first place should be the question.
        It's like asking the car jacker if it's ok to get your baby out of the back seat.

This machine kills Fascists.

by KenBee on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 11:59:26 AM PST

•  Private sector is helping train unemployed (4+ / 0-)
        bear83, nolagrl, askew, MrAnon

people for real jobs. It's a government/industry partnership that tech schools and CC's are very happy to be involved in.

Community Organizers learn to do this stuff.  Instead of sticking with the bad guys/good guys line they learn how to work with everyone.

by I love OCD on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 01:30:14 PM PST

•  If you are repairing an existing bridge, (9+ / 0-)

I am not sure how much environmental oversight is needed beyond what local authorities already supply.

For if there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this life. - Albert Camus

by Anne Elk on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 12:49:35 PM PST

•  Or maybe it just means getting the (4+ / 0-)
      bear83, askew, duhban, mdmslle

lead out.  Government agencies are not known to be speedy.  You can do the job right and still do it more quickly if you're motivated.

But good job making sure no one gets too happy about actually fixing broken shit!

by I love OCD on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 01:25:46 PM PST

•  Not if your staff is inadequate. (0+ / 0-)

This sounds too much like a right wing talking point for my comfort.

•  You may have missed how much Obama (2+ / 0-)
          MrAnon, mdmslle

has streamlined government, in part by rolling back regulations Republicans put in place to make everything more cumbersome, thus proving government is bad.

Too bad so many Progressives have completely embraced the nastiest RW meme of the past 50 years.

by I love OCD on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 06:53:21 PM PST

•  I have ongoing and direct contact with people (1+ / 0-)
            I love OCD

who work in various federal environmental agencies.  I am speaking from personal experience.  Are you?

•  SS, Medicare, Medicaid. (0+ / 0-)

Friends with SBA.

by I love OCD on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 11:58:57 AM PST

•  Those agencies are quite different (0+ / 0-)

from EPA, FWS, FS, NOAA, etc.

•  The EPA has some teeth now, after (1+ / 0-)
                  Heart of the Rockies

years of being underfunded and regulated into insignificance.  In fact almost every agency that relates to the good of the people has more teeth, despite the ongoing Republican need to bomb them back to the 4th Century.  It's a slow and difficult process, and it begins with educating people about what good governance looks like, what it can do for them.

We've not only allowed the Republicans to write the narrative on how evil government is, some days it seems like half the people who comment here are fully on board with that whole idea.

I'm not sure who's left to nurture George Washington's ideas about putting aside personal desires occasionally and supporting the good of all, or the necessity of a strong Federal government that has more power than individual states when it comes to the common welfare.  Or the concepts of good citizenship and the importance of being well-informed.

by I love OCD on Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 10:04:32 AM PST

•  the sneaky part (1+ / 0-)
      mdmslle

is hiring people to watch the contracts. Government union workers, with good pay and benefits.

So we can hang them without a trial, unlike contractors. (Just finished Mardi Gras with my beloved Krewe of Pirates.)

Because we can fire them, not just sue them.

And many of the laws are designed to make life difficult for small businesses, not the giant corporations who agreed to them.
      Streamlining can get rid of the BS so we can concentrate on preserving our mutual history and environment.

It's about time We, the People, got a return on our tax investment.

Jesus died to save you from Yahweh.

by nolagrl on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 02:22:33 PM PST

•  Spot on! (0+ / 0-)
      modernize and streamline the agency permitting and regulatory processes for projects
      is easily decoded language for
      environmental review will get short shrift.