View Diary: The GOP's branding problem is worse than you think (171 comments)

•  Dems need to stop calling people names just becaus (8+ / 0-)

e, they are different from you. Rural, working class, blue collar, religious, all have real good reasons to vote Dem, except when they are insulted.

Every time someone puts on a fake rural accent and says dumb stuff in quotes when discussing guns it loses votes. Same with dissing southerners, or religious types.

How big is your personal carbon footprint?

by ban nock on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 09:17:59 AM PST

•  Indeed. (6+ / 0-)

Everyone needs face. Everyone.

And the minute you make someone lose it, you have lost them.

Also, starting by asking people what they think and actually listening is a great way to (a) show respect and get it; (b) find out what they think to get some clues about where you can go.

Politeness actually works, even when you have to use it first to get it in return.

Guess I'm saying "golden rule" still applies.

What about my Daughter's future?

by koNko on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 09:29:08 AM PST

•  As a liberal living in the South, (4+ / 0-)

I couldn't agree more.  I know quite a few folks who call themselves Republicans but are not irredeemably ignorant, racist homophobes.  Yes, they speak with an accent, at least to my Yankee ears, but they don't take kindly to being caricatured.  We need to use gentle persuasion, and maybe some will see the light and start to vote D, though they may never admit it.

"We *can* go back to the Dark Ages! The crust of learning and good manners and tolerance is so thin!" -- Sinclair Lewis

by Nespolo on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 09:30:56 AM PST

•  I don't agree, ban nock (1+ / 0-)
      ban nock

because those cousin-f**king, gun-rack-in-the-pickup driving, polyester-wearing Rethug voters who called us on the Left "Traitors" and "anti-Americans" during The War Criminal Bush Regime are the real Traitors - and must be punished accordingly for not begging forgiveness from us, and must be held accountable for their dear offenses!

•  Snark? (0+ / 0-)

Or do you really think we can safely 'punish' nearly half the country?

I admit sometimes I get really angry at some of the racist/stupid/sexist/homophobic views that I hear, but they are fellow citizens and need to be respected as such. For the good of the country. And because we are adults.

Help us to save free conscience from the paw Of hireling wolves whose gospel is their maw. ~John Donne

by ohiolibrarian on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 11:10:51 AM PST

•  Nearly half? Not hardly (0+ / 0-)

A rump minority of sparsely-populated, aging, monocultured white voters who just happen to control a lot of mostly empty territory. New York City has more population than all the red states combined.

AND, even in red states, the populous urban centers still are more blue than not. It's only out in the sticks that the nation is deep right. The Republican party uses every trick in the book to leverage that minority voting block to win elections, including vote supression.

Overestimating their numbers only serves them.

"Is there anybody listening? Is there anyone who sees what's going on? Read between the lines, criticize the words they're selling. Think for yourself, and feel the walls become sand beneath your feet." --Geoff Tate, Queensryche

by DarthMeow504 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 02:21:20 PM PST

•  :-) good one (0+ / 0-)

I want those running lights that go across the cab of my pickup, wife looks at me like I'm off my rocker.

How big is your personal carbon footprint?

by ban nock on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 11:36:13 AM PST