View Diary: We need 10-12 more Sandy Hook massacres to get Americans behind banning guns forever. (132 comments)

•  Have you ever made this recipe? (11+ / 0-)

I was wondering about using vegetable spray in between the phyllo sheets.  Is that a decent substitute for butter?  I've been eating a vegan diet for 6 weeks now and want to branch out a bit.

I was going to post my special recipe for Kitty Litter cake, but I think I'll save it for the next occasion.

It's the Supreme Court, stupid!

by Radiowalla on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 08:50:23 PM PST

•  Use soy butter instead. (3+ / 8-)

Oil makes phyllo stick together.

•  no but I have quarts of berries in the freezer (4+ / 0-)
      PavePusher, gchaucer2, AnnetteK, Christin

I don't actually believe in the use of 'vegetable sprays'  - I guess that's a fancy way of saying vegetable oil in a can with a gas propellant.  What's the point when you have some vegetable oil and a pastry brush?

Good luck with your vegan experiment.  Mine has been going on for 15 years and it's working out fine so far.

•  Love you, Radiowalla (12+ / 0-)

but NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!  Butter only between phyllo sheets.  I don't give a shite what other's say.  The cow needs to be milked or explode and then you get butter, butterfat, heavy cream and milk.  Jesus meant us to have certain culinary luxuries and cows to be happy and not bloated.

" My faith in the Constitution is whole; it is complete; it is total." Barbara Jordan, 1974

by gchaucer2 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 09:06:00 PM PST

•  Every baklava I've ever made (6+ / 0-)

has been all about butter on the phyllo dough.

For time and the world do not stand still. Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or the present are certain to miss the future. (JFK)

by begone on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 09:21:25 PM PST

•  You need to join me (8+ / 0-)

on the Tuesday morning GUS (Gave Up, Giving Up, Hope to hell I can give up Smoking) diary.  I do recipes.  I'm looking for the perfect baklava recipe.  I've read tons of them.  When I was teaching, I worked nights at a Greek restaurant (lots of screaming).  The baklava was to die for.  Perfect crispy phyllo and not too sweet.

I make a beef strudel with phyllo -- utterly yummie.

And yes BUTTER!!!!  I was raised in my culinary endeavors on Julia Child.  I could be a temporary vegetarian -- but there's a point where one needs fat back in a beef burgunday to make life complete.

by gchaucer2 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 09:26:22 PM PST

•  Cows give milk only because they were pregnant (1+ / 0-)
        Shuksan Tahoma

And now their calves have been taken from them and turned into meat. Actually, not a problem for me, since I eat meat. But anyone who imagines cows are just delighted to be lactating for the benefit of the people who took their progeny from them is a little deluded.

For if there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this life. - Albert Camus

by Anne Elk on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 09:27:30 PM PST

•  Hey, the part of me that is Greek (1+ / 0-)
        gchaucer2

knows precisely what you mean!  The part that is French even more so!

My latter-day rebirth as a vegan is purely for health reasons so I am not going to give too much weight to what Jesus intended or to how the cows are feeling.

Love you, too, gchaucer!

It's the Supreme Court, stupid!

by Radiowalla on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 09:54:35 PM PST

•  Here's a wonderful vegan (2+ / 0-)
          Radiowalla, Ahianne

blog:  Carrie on Vegan.  She following one of the sort of extremist gurus (no oils no salt) but her recipes are marvelous and she has links to other vegan sites.

I'm a huge olive oil fan so no oil is insane to me.  Carrie is a cancer survivor and the diet works for her.  She also has offered very tasty recipes I've modified with a bit of olive oil and a bit of salt.  Food without salt never reaches its potential.  I'll stop using it when my ankles swell.

by gchaucer2 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 10:03:46 PM PST

•  Thanks! I'll check it out. (3+ / 0-)
            gchaucer2, Shuksan Tahoma, Ahianne

No way I will give up oil either.  One thing I have been loving about the vegan diet is that I don't worry about oil or other fats.  I just eat in the quantities that feel right and that way I don't feel deprived.  So far I haven't had any urges for meat or dairy, but I live in fear of someone dragging a piece of bacon before my nose.  Don't know if I would be able to resist...

It's the Supreme Court, stupid!

by Radiowalla on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 10:08:04 PM PST

•  I think vegan (1+ / 0-)
              Radiowalla

can be a wonderful diet forever.  There's so much variations in veggies with the right seasonings.  I'm sitting on my ass now, but when I see you next -- or through kosmail -- I'll give you the correct names and authors of two brilliant veggie cookbooks.  They are not only gorgeous but the recipes are amazing.

I tend toward vegetarian but haven't made the commitment to full vegan.

And make sure you take B-12 -- that's missing in your diet.

by gchaucer2 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 10:16:02 PM PST

•  everyone should care how animals are treated (0+ / 0-)

in slaughterhouses, factory farms, and by the meat and dairy industry.
          i never understood - for the life of me.
          the "who cares" attitude of people when it comes to treating sentient beings with kindess and compassion.
          especially on a liberal blog.

We consume the carcasses of creatures of like appetites, passions and organs with our own, and fill the slaughterhouses daily with screams of pain and fear. Robert Louis Stevenson

by Christin on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 10:31:46 AM PST

•  this is not true. (0+ / 0-)

at all.
        and I do give a "shite" about what happens to dairy cows and how they are forced to produce milk at at factory farms until they are slaughered.
        and one thing they are not, is "happy".
        period.

Also, I' have not used butter in 12 years in my baking.
        Phyllo sheets are fine without it.

Sorry, if myths are going to be spread, I'm no longer going to stay silent about it.
        Recent investigations confirm that the plight of "Dairy" cows at auctions is extremely poor.

Most people have seen, and few can forget images of "Dairy" Cows unable to walk being moved with a forklift. "Dairy" Cows are the most likely to become "downers" at auction. "Dairy" Cows are a major concern - in our experience, they are the ones that suffer the most. The summer months are especially hard on these that are already weak and lame.

AA investigators have repeatedly confirmed that the plight of "Dairy" Cows at auction is extremely poor. The most basic care for them is unavailable. There is no water available, no shelter, and/or pen space is inadequate at 95% of the auctions we have visited. Perhaps worst of all there is no euthanasia protocol at all, so downer cows are simply left on the "dead pile" to lie in pain and distress until they die.

Overall, AA has found that at auction, personnel are permitted to remain untrained or unresponsive to the special needs of "Dairy" Cows. That many auctions accept animals in such terrible condition and do nothing to ameliorate their suffering is completely unsupportable.

Yet the cows do not get in this condition over night but over the course of weeks. That some producers milk the cows into worsening condition until they are so weakened and calcium depleted they can just barely walk or rise, and then take them to auction, is calculated and cruel. We believe that by working to prevent the auctions from accepting cows in such condition, we will observe producers operate in some respects with greater regard for the animals' well-being.

by Christin on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 10:27:51 AM PST

•  I grew up with dairy farmers (0+ / 0-)

small farms.  I shop like a locavore.  Enjoy your vegan lifestyle.  You have zero clue about my buying habits re: dairy, etc.  I have zero clue where you get your vegetables even though I could go on forever about where vegetables come from and who is hurt in the process.

by gchaucer2 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 11:01:46 AM PST