View Diary: Dear Gun Folks... (304 comments)

•  The problem I have with this "gun control" (13+ / 0-)

proposal, as a non-gun owner is this.

When the federal government does this with the 2nd A, no matter how it's argued or "justified", then they can do it with all unalienable rights.

You're mentally ill, a felon, etc...you can't exercise your 1st Amendment rights.

Arbitrary standards you must comply with before you can exercise a right is prior restraint, which is already unconstitutional.

NYS has just done this to me, as a transgendered woman whom is also a recovered alcoholic, both "conditions" are, under NYS law, mental illnesses.  I've done nothing wrong, in fact, I made myself better and now I'm being punished for it.

Hell, I'd seriously love the idea of mental assessments for anyone wishing to exercise their religion or "political free speech", really.  But we do not have that kind of system here.  Religion has killed billions throughout our human history.  GW's "free speech" has killed millions of innocents and put this nation on the precipice of total financial destruction. Impoverishing millions of Americans AND poverty kills 133,000 each and every year here.

Naomi Wolf explains these problems very well in "The End Of America", co-produced with the ACLU.

Besides these "restrictions" and bans have taught me one thing, I'll never go to a psychiatrist again.  It will be used against me.  And IF I'm thinking this way, how many other people understand this as well?  How many will refuse to get help when they may desperately need it?

NYS has just made the doctors in my life, the enemy.

Odd isn't it?  And I have no intentions of exercising my 2nd Amendment rights and that's what I feel. What about the parents of a child that doesn't want to hurt their future chances of say getting a job whereby a firearm would be necessary, they'd be closing down the career opportunities for their children.

This is what rational people understand when you present these "solutions".  What happens when that "background" check history is accessible to prospective employers?  My current employer has a corporate policy of not allowing firearms on or near their property by employees.

I see Mrs. Smith you've gone through a NICS check, do you own any firearms? "Well, yes!"  I'm sorry Mrs. Smith, the position has been filled.

Besides, what are the standards for this background check?  How do you know what the criteria is? I don't know, even now. Is that arrest I got when I was bullied on the school bus when I was 14 yrs old still in there?  Even though the charges were dropped when the facts were revealed to the judge?

Is the 10 yr old that WAS ARRESTED for having a toy gun in his backpack forever more denied the right to keep and bear arms?

What is clear here, these "reasonable" regulations are anything but and a very dangerous development in this nation.

The witch hunt is on and clearly if NYS is any measure, they've now defined the exercise of that right into a criminal offense.

Therein lay the problem.

by gerrilea on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 09:40:19 AM PST

•  Even though you stated you have no desire to own (6+ / 0-)

a firearm, it is still absolutely wrong that this option may have been taken away from you because of what some "professional" has declared that what and who you are as being a "mental illness."  I have great respect for the fact that you recognize that this is wrong and stand against it.

•  I guess I'm confused. (8+ / 0-)

If we already have restrictions on rights, and we haven't hit that slippery slope yet where they all disappear, why is the 2A any different?  What about the 2A makes it so that any restriction means total restriction?

I'm not trying to be snarky (though I usually am, just not this time), just genuinely curious.

"I don't want a unicorn. I want a fucking pegasus. And I want it to carry a flaming sword." -mahakali overdrive

by Silvia Nightshade on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 12:38:42 PM PST

•  Well, it's like the argument that people (5+ / 0-)

put forward with cars. "I register my cars, yet no one's banning cars."

Great. But there has been a history of registration leading to confiscation, not to mention politicians, citizens, and others who say we'll start here, and then move on, incrementally getting rid of civilian held firearms.

Kinda like the forced birthers incrementally made it harder for women to exercise their right to choose.

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 12:43:05 PM PST

•  Wait... there's a history of (5+ / 0-)

registration and confiscation of cars?  I thought cars were only confiscated/impounded when involved in crimes?

by Silvia Nightshade on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 12:49:04 PM PST

•  No, firearms. (4+ / 0-)

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 12:50:46 PM PST

•  But now you're on the slippery slope, ... (3+ / 0-)
            gerrilea, PavePusher, Tom Seaview

and vehicles (and other things) which have little (if anything at all) to do with the actual crime already are confiscated regularly, thus the slant of the slope continues to grow.

On the issue of gun-ownership rights, giving an inch now will inevitably result in the loss of a mile later, it's just a given.  Anti-gun-ownership advocates already want ALL guns confiscated, and will continue to do their best to achieve that goal, even if they're limited to only being able to restrict rights a little bit at a time.  It's not a right they care to exercise, so they have NO qualms about depriving others of it.

And no, I'm not a gun owner either.  But in the event I may need to be some day, I'll expect to still have the right to do so and will vote against any politician who tries to deprive us of it.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the universe." -- Albert Einstein

by Neuroptimalian on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 02:18:16 PM PST

•  Your argument seems very similar to that of (0+ / 0-)

a Republican state senator I worked for for a short time. He was in favor of wearing seatbelts in a car, wore them himself, but did not want there to be a law requiring it.

Seemed like specious argument to me from the senator, and your argument seems equally specious.

*There are two sides to every horseshit.* Kos

by glorificus on Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 08:15:37 PM PST

•  Really? I'm not sure about your claim any longer. (5+ / 0-)
        we haven't hit that slippery slope yet where they all disappear
        1st A is all but gone---"free speech zones", "Federal Restricted Buildings and Grounds Improvement Act of 2011".
        Free press, pshaw---we have 6 companies that control over 90% of all we see and hear.  See the Arrest of Naomi Wolf, while walking down the damn street!

Free religion--as best as I can tell, that's still in tact.

4th Amendment gone---Drones, FISA, TSA searches,

5th Amendment gone---Drones, Targeting killings without charges, judge or jury.

The Patriot Acts, The Military Commissions Act, The Animal Enterprises Act, The NDAA, Supreme Court Decision Hamdi V. Rumsfeld, etc.

In less than 10 yrs the Bill of Rights has been shredded before our very eyes and you cannot tell me the 2nd A won't go the way the rest of these have.

by gerrilea on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 08:39:41 PM PST

•  Not yet being at the bottom of that slope.... (7+ / 0-)

does not mean we're not on that slope.

Your hate-mail will be graded.

by PavePusher on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 08:40:32 PM PST

•  Evidently you slept through the past 12 years (5+ / 0-)
        I guess I'm confused.
        Or did you buy wholesale, the "it's for your own good" line of crap allowing the government to restrict and/or access much of what you do, have, see or say?

"The bill's sponsor has a better chance of being the next Pope" ~ attributed to Rep. Eric Burlison of Missouri

by 43north on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 10:00:33 PM PST