View Diary: Dear Gun Folks... (304 comments)

•  They don't want guns for protection only (8+ / 0-)

it's not good enough to survive an attack.  They must obliterate their assailant.  Kill him.  Blow his head off.

Sometimes a single shot in the air to scare off the intruder is all that's needed.

I'm a survivor of an assault.  I still don't see the need for a gun.. 20 guns... in my home.

But I am worried about how militant our police are becoming.  I'm worried that some guy thinks he needs 47 guns and has to pack some around while he's out shopping...

I don't have bunker mentality either.  I refuse to live in fear.  I hate being patted down just enter a hockey game.

I don't think that any in the gun fan club have actually read ALL of the 2nd.  Well Regulated Militia.

Less guns more education.

"Love One Another" ~ George Harrison

by Damnit Janet on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 10:01:07 AM PST

•  You don't shoot in the air. (4+ / 0-)
      noway2, fuzzyguy, theatre goon, PavePusher

Talk about negligence and ignorance. More education about guns.

Hey, you made that choice about having guns in your home. I made mine. Most of them have nothing to do with self defense. I do carry the one when I go out though and usually have it within arms reach when I'm home.

I also refuse to live in fear.

Of course I've read the second amendment. Have you?

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 10:07:02 AM PST

•  Yessssssssssssssss (4+ / 0-)

No, you don't shoot in the air... like all these asshats do on the fourth of july.

What I meant, and I'm sure you know this, is when a woman is faced with an intruder in her home - she doesn't have to shoot him center mass.  She can fire a shot off and in most cases that scares the fucker/s into running away.

She survives.

She doesn't have to go hunt them down and riddle their body with bullets.

Or run outside and shoot at their car.

go enjoy your guns..

"Love One Another" ~ George Harrison

by Damnit Janet on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 10:13:55 AM PST

•  asdf (5+ / 0-)

Most defensive gun uses don't even have shots fired. Why would you expend a round that wasn't into the criminal? Are you going to put bullet traps all over your house to catch them?

I agree. You don't hunt down criminals and riddle their body with bullets. Or run outside and shoot at their car.

Nah, I'm not going to the range anytime soon.

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 10:18:11 AM PST

•  When you actually demonstrate an understanding of (4+ / 0-)

how legal self defence works, maybe then we'll talk.

•  You are suggesting an illegal act (3+ / 0-)
          PavePusher, theatre goon, Wood Dragon

As well as betraying even a basic knowledge of how guns and self-defense work.

You are not allowed to fire a warning shot in most states (if any). That is illegal and you will be charged with reckless endangerment (and rightly so). You are only allowed to take your gun out and aim it at someone if you believe yourself or another to be in such imminent harm that you need to shoot him or her.

Note that you don't have to actually shoot---if you can convince the person to back down or leave, that is always best---but if you do shoot in self-defense, then you are legally obligated to actually try to hit him or her.  You aren't allowed to shoot in the air or a wall (either of which could wind up with the bullet hitting someone else's property, or rose, hitting another person). You aren't allowed to play games. Using a firearm in self-defense is a big responsibility. You do not discharge a warning shot just because it seems to work when folks do it to criminals on TV: you make clear to the assailant you have it and will use it, and then you carry through if you must.

•  Thta's the big problem (1+ / 0-)
            coquiero

With owning a gun. If you point it at someone, you have to be ready to kill them.

I would prefer a tazer because the chances are that you wouldn't kill them, so you would be less likely to hesitate which could really save your life.

The hesitation with the gun could give them time to take it away and use it on you.

I'm thinking that since I have never shot at, never mind killed, anyone, I can't trust myself not to hesitate with a gun.

Women create the entire labor force. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Sympathy is the strongest instinct in human nature. - Charles Darwin

by splashy on Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 02:55:24 AM PST

•  Then don't use one for self defense. (4+ / 0-)

That's entirely your choice.

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 06:28:24 AM PST

•  That makes sense (0+ / 0-)

If you don't think you'd be able to pull the trigger, then you have made the right choice. And you know what, I have no problem with that: you examined gun ownership and decided you don't have a use for one.

For me, I made the decision that if I had to, I would pull the trigger. (I don't want to ever have to, though, I really don't.)

If you'll indulge me, here's a wee tangent on the Taser.
              I will say I'm not so sure about wanting one for self-defense. You only get one shot with a civilian model, so you have to make sure you don't miss and that there is only one attacker. The Taser also has an effective minimum range, so if assailant manages to close in quickly enough, he won't be incapacitated (just in pain and probably quite angry).

Plus there's also the chance you'll shoot and the two electrodes will be too close together, which again means the attacker won't be incapacitated, just in a lot of pain.

Mind you, if you did buy a Taser, I'd assume you'd plan for how you'd use it and at least watch the video that comes with it, i.e., minimize the issues I just listed and make sure you used it in a safe and effective manner.

•  The thing is (0+ / 0-)

Do you really know you will be able to shoot, and do it quickly, accurately, and without harming anyone else?

Law enforcement train all the time to be able to do that, and still have problems with it. Are you more trained than they are?

by splashy on Tue Feb 26, 2013 at 01:57:46 PM PST

•  Stop listening to Biden. (2+ / 0-)
          andalusi, theatre goon

On this subject, he has no freaken' clue what he's talking about.

Your hate-mail will be graded.

by PavePusher on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 09:17:55 PM PST

•  A Serious Question (2+ / 0-)
        Glen The Plumber, lyvwyr101

I also refuse to live in fear.

Would you live in fear if the gun you refer to was not within arms reach? Do you avoid going into locations that are gun-free zones? Would you attend a political rally featuring the President (where you would not be allowed to carry a gun)?

I'm not trying to set up a 'gotcha' where I question your personal courage or level of fear, however I do not carry a gun in public, and none of my close friends do either or feel the need to; I am trying to understand as part of honing in my own position on guns in public.

Maybe it's where you live? I live in Columbia County, Oregon (NW of Portland a bit).

"We will find fulfillment not in the goods that we have, but in the good we can do for each other." ~ RFK

by paz3 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 12:37:03 PM PST

•  Well, I lived for years without a carry permit. (3+ / 0-)

I have to go places now without it (see: air travel, racquetball, swimming). I'm not fearful then.

I wouldn't attend a political rally with any currently living president. I'm not entirely impressed with any of them. Some I despise (St. Ronnie, W) and others I'm disappointed in (President Obama, Clinton).

I wouldn't classify it as a NEED to carry. I chose/choose to do so for the same reason I wear a seatbelt.

I live in a very rural area in the UP of Michigan.

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 12:45:59 PM PST

•  Strictly A Personal O (0+ / 0-)
            Would you be fearful without your weapon in those places where you now carry? Don't answer if you like, that may not be any of my business; I will say, for myself, that I simply do not want to live at a level of fear or apprehension where I feel compelled to carry a hidden gun. (I am opposed to open carry, as it creates too much unrest in public, and contributes to that feeling that the US is becoming an uncivilized Third World country for that very reason.) There are guns in our home, however, and those are not about to go away, except for compelling financial reasons.
            I probably should not have used that as an example, I am not testing your political inclinations when it comes to individual politicians. The point was a location with a lot of people, and no guns allowed except for security personnel.
            Fair enough. I wear a seatbelt too; I simply don't get to any level of fear for my safety in public to where I fell compelled carry a concealed gun. I may get assaulted or shot someday, but I'll then meet my maker with an open conscience on the issue of carrying a weapon in public that kills so easily. JMO.

by paz3 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 09:49:34 AM PST

•  No. Fear is not the reason I carry. (0+ / 0-)
              I would not be at such an event. I don't go where I'm not wanted.
              It comes back to fear. It isn't fear. It's the philosophy that shit happens, so try to be prepared. I have a clear conscience right now and I'm not sure why your's would be sullied if you did nothing wrong.

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 10:04:40 AM PST

•  Just because the UP is lightly populated does (0+ / 0-)

not mean it was used as Botany Bay and populated by criminals.

Jeebus, are there large numbers of mentally impaired up there? Usually rural areas have people who know each other well, not a bunch of strangers who will slit your throat for beer money.

*There are two sides to every horseshit.* Kos

by glorificus on Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 08:58:13 PM PST

•  Subjective, Yes? (0+ / 0-)

Are you just saying that "...where [you are] not wanted is anyplace that you can't carry a concealed gun, aside from the examples you listed previously?

I'm not inferring anything at all about your conscience, just mine.

Your attempt to define what I may believe is "wrong" is kind of out there, don't you think? A little projection, perhaps?

The burden of carrying a concealed gun, even with a "stuff happens" attitude on my part, is not worth it to me. I'll just have to trust in God and Christ to get me through the rest of my life. It's worked wonders so far...

by paz3 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 at 12:57:38 PM PST

•  ahh, gotcha. (0+ / 0-)

There are very few things I deplore and actually hate in this world.

Theism is one of them.

Apologies on how I am defining why I carry. It seemed like you were indeed projecting a "fear = carry gun" idea onto me. Just wanted to correct that.

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth