View Diary: Tackling the pervasive stigma of bisexuality (104 comments)

•  I think things are miles better than you say... (7+ / 0-)

Attitudes about homosexuality are changing pretty rapidly. When I graduated high school in Iowa in 2005, there was one openly gay guy in my class of 650+ and several other guys who were known to be bi (myself included). Since then, all of the bi-identified guys have come out as gay, and some people who'd never pinged at all on my gaydar have come out as bisexual.

Now, when my sister graduated in 2010, one of the speakers at her commencement mentioned his boyfriend, which was met with applause. Just her circle of high school friends included several openly gay and bi people. This is anecdotal, but no one in my generation (Millennials) seems to care about anyone else's sexuality. And I only see this attitude getting more and more prevalent, rather than the opposite.

"In an individual, selfishness uglifies the soul; for the human species, selfishness is extinction." -Cloud Atlas, by David Mitchell

by rigcath on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 11:34:56 AM PST

•  give it time; even enlightened people can (6+ / 0-)

change and when there is an opportunity which depends upon bashing minorities or gays or whatever, many people will choose the opportunity over principle.

I would venture a guess that in your locale, even if there is a "gay scene' that it remains sequestered.  This is the way it has always been, whether the basis of minority or sexuality is used to discriminate.

Sequestration is an old issue as some of us remember Stonewall and the riots

•  Not really. (6+ / 0-)

I don't think there's much of a "gay scene" here anymore, at least nowhere near the extent of what it was even ten years ago; not because it's hidden or sequestered or dying, but because the gay community is gradually integrating into the culture at large. Gay bars in general seem to be struggling--it seems like at least one major, culturally significant gay bar somewhere in the US closes every week--because as straight people come to accept us more and more, the demand for a "safe space" for LGBT people to congregate is shrinking rapidly.

by rigcath on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 12:03:56 PM PST

•  as far as gay bars, they have always existed (4+ / 0-)

going back as far as the 1900s; they just did not advertise themselves as such but everyone knew what they were and they were more likely to have morality raids by the cops.  They were just underground

•  I suspect that the closing of gay bars owes more (4+ / 0-)

to grindr and scruff than to gays "integrating in the culture at large".  But I agree that tolerance and acceptance are on the rise, and that is wonderful.

•  When I was single... (2+ / 0-)
            JeffW, NancyWH

I chose to try to meet people through online dating, because I was more comfortable being "out" in that environment. I could look at the profiles, see their declared sexuality ("Interested in"), and start a conversation after that. I knew I was open to having a relationship with a woman, but I also had no idea how to go about meeting women in public here. Ideally, someday we won't need special places for the LGBT community to meet up here, but for now, it's a pretty hostile environment.

We're conducting an experiment in filmmaking as civil rights activism in The Tolerance Project. Help us combat Westboro Baptist here.

by MrsGeiiga on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 01:15:54 PM PST

•  It's a little better in Lawrence, still abysmal (6+ / 0-)

As part of our pre-production work for The Tolerance Project, we were going to reach out to local LGBT organizations in Topeka, only to find that there are no such places--only online chapters of national organizations. Lawrence has some resources, including LGBT clubs at the University of Kansas, but for those who are LGBT in Topeka, there are basically no local outreach organizations. We really want to change that down the road.

We're conducting an experiment in filmmaking as civil rights activism in The Tolerance Project. Help us combat Westboro Baptist! http://kck.st/156XjPE

by MrsGeiiga on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 12:11:30 PM PST

•  Perhaps my perception is skewed (5+ / 0-)

Since Westboro Baptist is practically in our backyard. Okay, so they're 30 minutes away from our house, but that's WAY too close.

by MrsGeiiga on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 11:58:28 AM PST

•  True, geography does matter... (3+ / 0-)
        MrsGeiiga, Cassandra Waites, NancyWH

Kansas is not going to see the same social patterns as the biggest city in a state that's stubbornly refused to become a fiery hellhole after gay marriage was legalized a few years ago. But I think it's clear that momentum is toward progress even in the least progressive places, and it's courageous people like you, choosing to be open about your sexuality, who have the biggest impact.

by rigcath on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 12:16:37 PM PST

•  I was scared, but knew I had to do it (3+ / 0-)
          rigcath, Cassandra Waites, NancyWH

The Phelpses have already taken notice of our Kickstarter, so I didn't really want to add more fuel to their fire, but my sexuality is a big part of why I'm so enthusiastic about our film project. It didn't seem right for me to keep my own sexuality hidden when that's precisely why I feel it's so important for my husband and me to take on this project.

by MrsGeiiga on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 12:23:01 PM PST