View Diary: Microsoft outdoes themselves again, in a bad way (45 comments)

•  Are you sure that this isn't in itself a hacking (11+ / 0-)

attempt? Also, can you access her account via another client, like Outlook or gmail? Does she access her account on her phone? If so, there might be enough saved emails on it to get the info they're requesting.

This is one of the reasons I still prefer to use a client app for email. All my email is backed up locally and I don't have to worry about losing online access for whatever reason. I also use web clients and my phone, but my main email is done on a client app (Outlook in my case).

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 10:50:39 AM PST

•  Ding Ding Ding (7+ / 0-)

I believe this was a phishing attempt.

I'm no philosopher, I am no poet, I'm just trying to help you out - Gomez (from the song Hamoa Beach)

by jhecht on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 10:54:24 AM PST

•  Why I asked if there was an alternate (1+ / 0-)
        wilderness voice

way of accessing her account. I hope to god she has some decent security software on her computer. The good ones block access to phishing sites.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 10:56:15 AM PST

•  The asking for "email of three people she knew" (7+ / 0-)

is a giveaway, right there.

There is no reason for any security check to need that.

Phishing.

The thing about quotes on the internet is you cannot confirm their validity. ~Abraham Lincoln

by raboof on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 10:58:32 AM PST

•  Can anyone read the link posted (2+ / 0-)
        trumpeter, Eyesbright

It is not phishing.  It is Microsoft's attempt at security.  Read the link posted.  It is a MS feature not a bug or phishing.

•  I took a look at the thread (4+ / 0-)

on the MS Forum and I don't see anything there that would lead me to believe that this isn't a phishing incident. Sure other folks might be having similar problems, but that simply suggests others have been involved in the same or similar phishing attack.

Good luck getting this sorted out.

For future reference, I recommend using an email client like Thunderbird. You don't even need a Pop Mail account--just configure it to use iMAP. That way all of your emails and contact information will be mirrored on your computer.

The only trouble with retirement is...I never get a day off!

by Mr Robert on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 11:25:00 AM PST

•  I just looked at the thread too (2+ / 0-)
          wilderness voice, tommymet

There's no way to tell from it whether it's really a hotmail issue or phishing, but if it WAS a hotmail issue, it would have been widely circulated throughout the internet and MS could have acknowledged it by now and would be working to resolve it. Since none of this has happened, I suspect that her account was hacked and the password and security questions were changed so she can't access it even if she remembered the correct original answers.

Or, she's being redirected to a page that looks like hotmail but isn't, which would explain the weird questions. If it's the latter, and she's given them her correct password and security question answers, then they've almost certainly now gone ahead and done the first thing, which is to reset all of these.

What does she use to actually access her hotmail account, a web-based client like the MS hotmail site, or one running on her computer like Outlook? Either way, if she has an alternate way of accessing her hotmail account I'd suggest she use it immediately in case they haven't already reset her account and made it inaccessible to her. Like, NOW.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 11:56:37 AM PST

•  Windows 8 have some funky (1+ / 0-)
      terabytes

Cloud stuff in it.  I've encountered it too.  See my comment below.  It's definitely not a fishing trick.  It's Windows 8.  I don't know all the details yet.

Republicans: Taking the country back ... to the 19th century

by yet another liberal on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 11:25:47 AM PST

•  Yes, I don't trust others to keep them (2+ / 0-)
      wilderness voice, rja

All my important email I download to my laptop and back up myself.

After all, it's more important to me than anyone else, so I take charge of making sure it's saved.

Women create the entire labor force. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Sympathy is the strongest instinct in human nature. - Charles Darwin

by splashy on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 01:08:43 PM PST