View Diary: ACM: The West Virginia Court-Martial of Mother Jones (22 comments)

•  JayRaye, I cannot thank you enough (8+ / 0-)

for this fantastic piece on my favourite US organiser. She was so fabulous! I keep on thinking that if she were only alive in the 1970s and now, the ruling would have never had the power to introduce poverty and austerity to keep up profits and to destroy the state sector and social welfare state. She would have scared them silly! This is not to say that an individual can work in the absence of a movement by any means, but brilliant organisers can help create a movement and sustain it.  So many fantastic quotes from Mother Jones, I cannot choose which to repeat here (I do not envy you having to make the choices for the piece), but this is the heart of an anti-capitalist activist:

Mary Jones: I have no defense to make. Whatever I have done in West Virginia, I have done it all over the United States, and when I get out, I will do it again.
    Such an incredible person, such a wonderful tribute to her work and thanks for giving her voice another platform in a period when we need some inspiration!

"Hegel noticed somewhere that all great world history facts and people so to speak twice occur. He forgot to add: the one time as tragedy, the other time as farce" Karl Marx, The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Bonaparte .

by NY brit expat on Sun Mar 10, 2013 at 03:25:04 PM PDT

•  Thank you, expat. (5+ / 0-)

Yes, indeed, the hardest part was deciding what to leave out.

A very long book could be written just about Mother Jones and the Paint Creek & Cabin Creek Strike.

WE NEVER FORGET Our Labor Martyrs. For Jan: Right-to-Work/Right-to-Live(?)

by JayRaye on Sun Mar 10, 2013 at 03:42:11 PM PDT

•  I am wondering why there are so few comments (4+ / 0-)
        JayRaye, Empower Ink, joanneleon, poligirl

as people really liked the piece ... perhaps, like me, they were blown away from the might of Mother Jones?! :)  Geminijen will be here but late as she had something important to do that was urgent.

by NY brit expat on Sun Mar 10, 2013 at 04:26:57 PM PDT

•  Perhaps Mother Jones said it all (3+ / 0-)
          NY brit expat, joanneleon, poligirl

And there is nothing left to say.

WE NEVER FORGET Our Labor Martyrs. For Jan: Right-to-Work/Right-to-Live(?)

by JayRaye on Sun Mar 10, 2013 at 04:41:54 PM PDT

•  There has never been a time where (2+ / 0-)
            JayRaye, poligirl

there is nothing that needs to be said; even if we are only adopting or adapting what was said earlier to current circumstances ... it is the spirit of some who are timeless and whom we can look back and see their contributions, their solidarity, and all we can say is if only they were still around today ...

by NY brit expat on Sun Mar 10, 2013 at 04:45:33 PM PDT

•  congrats ... rec listed finally! :) (2+ / 0-)
              JayRaye, poligirl

by NY brit expat on Sun Mar 10, 2013 at 04:47:17 PM PDT

•  Perhaps we need a new group dedicated to learning (4+ / 0-)

to be more like Mother Jones.

When I was at Camp Solidarity in 1989, I met some of these women:

The Daughters of Mother Jones. They sat down in the road right along with their husbands. And were carried away by the state troopers. One of the miners bragged to me that his wife was "a big ol' gal" and took four troopers to carry her to the bus.

I was there in Oct about a month after they had seized the plant. Sure wish I coulda been there for that!

WE NEVER FORGET Our Labor Martyrs. For Jan: Right-to-Work/Right-to-Live(?)

by JayRaye on Sun Mar 10, 2013 at 05:01:32 PM PDT

•  that is a brilliant idea! (2+ / 0-)
                JayRaye, poligirl

we have so much to learn and we have forgotten so much; we got soft and cushy ... we need her spirit, her fire, her courage and her inspiration! :)

by NY brit expat on Sun Mar 10, 2013 at 05:10:24 PM PDT