View Diary: Aaron Swartz, R.I.P. (57 comments)

•  They persecute someone like Aaron Swartz to (41+ / 0-)

"Make an example" of him. And they give free passes to the people on Wall Street who almost brought down the global economy and destroyed hundreds of miliions of lives.

We have to keep on fighting to return our current system of perversion of justice closer to what our founder's intended, a fair, open system of justice where the scales are supposed to at least appear to be even on both sides.

"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity" Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr..

by mindara on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 01:01:54 PM PST

•  That's because the Wall Street Wizards just (7+ / 0-)

...stole money.  Swartz stole intellectual property--so they claim--and that's an engine--to them--for making money.

It's not right of course--theft is theft, and what Swartz did was to free information that should never have been locked up in the first place.

But those in power saw it differently, and Swartz paid for that decision with his life.

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions." - Thomas Jefferson

by rfall on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 01:50:53 PM PST

•  That was Elizabeth Warren's point (18+ / 0-)

when she questioned the regulators:

There are district attorneys and United States attorneys out there every day squeezing ordinary citizens on sometimes very thin grounds and taking them to trial in order to make an example, as they put it. I'm really concerned that 'too big to fail' has become 'too big for trial'.
      Warren had met and said she admired Swartz. After he died, she expressed her concern by attending his memorial in Washington.

Loud doesn't make you right.

by molunkusmol on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 02:11:20 PM PST

•  I saw that...Elizabeth Warren is not a woman to be (10+ / 0-)

trifled with and that, combined with her incredible empathy, like Alan Grayson, makes her a force to be reckoned with for WE the people.

The last 30 years has turned this country into one that places such little value on human life in so many ways. It's all become about power, control and money...for the very few. It's going to take a lot of determination and people like Alan Grayson, Sen Warren and people like us here on Dkos to shift this thing back to the American people and I, for one, will never stop fighting for that til I'm in my own grave.

by mindara on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 03:08:20 PM PST

•  rAmen to that! (5+ / 0-)
          mindara, jennyp, asterkitty, Shockwave, chimene

The diary brought me to tears, especially the words of the song.

What a loss to all of us, whether or not we are aware of quite what we lost with Aaron's passing.

You can't go back and rewrite your past, but you can use your past to create your future. ~ Ray Lewis

by 4Freedom on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 03:15:04 PM PST

•  I wish I'd been more aware. But I am now and (5+ / 0-)

the best way I can honor Aaron's life is to stay that way, keep fighting for the people and never give up hope that we can beat these bastards at their own game. And what we've done as a country since 2008 has been really pretty amazing and 2012 was even more so, but these bastards aren't going to go down easy or quietly and expecting perfection at all costs helps them and hurts us. But I think we learned a hard lesson in 2010 and I don't see us doing that again in 2014. All the gerrymandering in the world can't survive total batshit lunacy unscathed, not like they think it can. We have to fight for every district...there are alot of sane folks living in red country, they just don't even have a democrat on the ballot to vote for!

I've been called Pollyanna a time or two in my life, but I've never been sorry when I've fought for what was right, even if I lost the battle. I was only sorry when I allowed myself to believe I'd lost the war.

by mindara on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 03:36:19 PM PST

•  We all know the reason for this. (11+ / 0-)

Aaron Swartz committed a "crime" against the authority.

Whereas bankers are the authority.

•  And they'll stay that way until the next crash or (4+ / 0-)
        J V Calin, jennyp, Shockwave, chimene

until we finally get the first major criminal prosecution. I have a little more hope of that with Elizabeth Warren sitting on the Senate Banking Committee and from what I understand (haven't had time to delve into much research on this) there were some key long time US attorneys who were very obstructive regarding criminal cases being brought (probably brought in by Bush & Cheney) who are no longer US Attorneys.

It's going to take along time to unsnarl and break up this government created financial mafia.

by mindara on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 03:16:50 PM PST

•  Not to mention the f*ckers who lied us into (7+ / 0-)

a war that cost trillions of dollars and hundreds of thousands of lives. Nope, free pass.

I just finished reading Neil Barofsky's Bailout, about TARP and the bank/AIG payoffs. If you wanna read something that'll make your blood boil ...

As he says toward the end, the banks are larger than ever, they know if they do stupid shit again gov't will bail them out once more because they really are too big too fail, and the money we gave them to help homeowners was used for very little of that -- instead they used to it buy more banks and reward themselves. And not one of them is in jail.

stay together / learn the flowers / go light - Gary Snyder

by Mother Mags on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 03:18:04 PM PST

•  Can't bring myself to read it yet....I know enough (3+ / 0-)
        Mother Mags, hester, Shockwave

about the grift right now and I know myself well enough  to know that I'd end up blinded by rage and I need to focus on the here and now for the moment with so much at stake.

Just the sheer scope of the consequences of the stolen 2000 election continues to become evermore mindbending. I knew in 2000 that we were going to end up well and truly fucked, but never could I have imagined the magnitude, the arrogance and the depths of criminality that everyone in that damned administration was capable of .And 25 or 30 years from now when they really start declassifying shit, God only knows what those immoral fuckers really did.

by mindara on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 03:50:47 PM PST